1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NON-Smok'n Joe

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by EuroJoe, Aug 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

NON-Smok

Our good friend and frequent contributor to TS.com, is out and about after having some arteries repaired with stents. Got lucky,and smart, by not ignoring chest pains, no doubt will be back to MSC soon.Hopefully smokeless!

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I talk to "Non" Smoke-n-Joe Often. He took on a huge chalenge in liqudating his best friend's (Mike) estate. Joe is a big man with a big heart. Tough Italian, tough enough to deal with us and help his friends both dear to his heart and us yokels on the net.

God bless ya Joe!

3. Butler

Butler TS Member

Joe: get well soon, been a pleasure doing business with you Jim Butler

4. john g.

john g. TS Supporters TS Supporters

Was with Non-Smoken Joe Yesterday, sitting in Cabela's parking lot looking at a K32 stock he has.He had to get out of the house and look at some guns.He was smoke free since Sunday.Keep it up Joe I know you can do it.I did say my prayers and you were in them.

God Blees You

John G.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I don't personally know you but I hope you get well soon all the same. Ain't no fun being down.

Matt

6. PINOYSHOOTER

PINOYSHOOTER Member

Joe, OMG...all the best to you! We still have to meet each other. Levy

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

As a former smoker, I know how hard a habit it is to kick. Even hypnosis didn't work for me until one day, I challenged myself to see how long I could go without smoking. It will be 14 years the day before Thanksgiving.

Ed

8. cartucci

cartucci Member

Get well soon Joe, just found out. Hope to see you soon.
    Pasquale

9. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Get well soon Joe
    Rooferbob

10. Carmen

Carmen Member

Get well soon Joe.... Just think of all the extra cash you will have now that you quit smoking. What are they 10 bucks a pack now. That would make you wanna quit alone. Just worry about smoking targets and getting better. Carm

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Glad he didn't ignore the pains and he will hopefully be okay ... NON Smokin Joe would be a good start to keep from having to do that again ... When they do the Angio it feels like something crawling around inside of your chest ... Been there and done that, he will be in our Prayers ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. TF

TF Active Member

Had two stents and two arteries ballooned last May 24th. I never had a pain, they were just taking a look because or an irregular heartbeat and fixed them while in there. Surgeon said chances are I wouldn't have made it through the hot Fla summer without some serious problems or worse. I didn't realize how lousy I had gradually become feeling every day until this was done. The improvement was immediate. After a month the doc recommended cardiac rehab for as long as my insurance would foot the bill. I was skeptical at first but it has turned out to be a blessing. I have more energy and am getting more things done than I have in years. Energy level is through the roof and my attitude about everything is improved. If Joe's doc recommends rehab I urge him to give it a try. It was a drag at first but now it is a breeze and I look forward to going.

Tom Frazer

13. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Hey Guys...

I had some chest pain that started migrating to my left shoulder so instead
    of going out for dinner I drove to the hospital. Felt fine sitting there in the hospital parking lot and damn near left for home with maybe a quick stop at Mickey-Dee's.

Better judgemnt got me into the hospital lobby. When I mentioned CHEST PAIN I was rushed to E.R. and had an EKG before I could tell them I felt fine. They asked a million questions, drew blood and pretty much ignored my insisting that I was fine. After a couple hours I remember the ER Doc telling me I DID NOT have a heart attack, but insisted that I spend the night and have more tests...

Yeah, yeah...I know the drill...been there done that...

Quit Smoking...

Lose 50 Pounds...

Don't even think about Red Meat or French Fries...

and have two aspirins on hand for when you see the bill!

I was admitted and wheeled up to a nice room. Nurses hooked up monitoring equipment, drew more blood and got me settled into a comfy bed. It was after midnight and I fell sound asleep...

I remember waking up to pressure building in my chest...then the nurses asking me to describe the pain 0 to 10...the bed rails went down, the bed went up and
    that flashing light...it was like they knew what was coming but wouldn't tell me. I'm not sure what they were pumping into my arm, but the tightness in my chest continued to get worse.

"Zero to Ten?" I never felt anything this intense before and it was getting worse. First dose of NITRO didn't even slow the progression of the pain...second seemed to stabalize it...shortly thereafter I was rolling down the hallway to ICU.

Got a lot of attention in ICU that night...when morning rolled around I remember waking up with a nurse getting ready to probe for more blood...again!

I must have said something really profound, because she shook her head, looked me straight in the eye and said..."You have no idea how lucky you are..."

Yup...sometimes in life it's better to be lucky than good.

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I seem to recall all of those feelings the first time ... The second time it was a lot worst, had emergency open heart surgery last 10-05-11, was in the Doctors office at 4:30, in surgery at 5:15 woke up in ICU 2 days later ... Glad you made it, the nurse was probably telling you the truth and you are a lucky man ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

Good Luck Joe. I just quit smoking after 41 yrs. Never had any problems but knew they were coming. Since I've quit, I've lost 15 lbs. Watch what I eat and walk. Still drink beer, but rarely eat red meat or potatoes. Eat a lot of chicken and fish. Don't miss red meat. Have heart disease in my family and diabetes. Hope you are feeling better and enjoying being worry free. At least for now. Take care and hope to hear from you again on this site. Roy

16. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

A BIG THANK YOU to everyone for concerns and kind words...

Going on THREE WEEKS now and LIFE has certainly changed.

Have NOT lit a cigarette, cigar, pipe or any thing even remotely associated with tobacco since walking into the emergency room. I have felt the urge and desire, (especially when I sign on to TS.com) but somehow there is an association with the chest pain that has been incentive enough to avoid lighting up. Have not used a patch, pill, gum or anything else...personally I don't think any of that stuff works to begin with and if you're not ready to quit it's not going to happen. I'm not about to claim "success" because I didn't really want to quit to begin with, but I'm in no hurry to jump back on the SMOKE WAGON anytime soon!

Have NOT had any RED MEAT, PASTA, WHITE BREAD, EGGS, BACON, PAN CAKES, FRENCH FRIES or FAST FOOD, ICE CREAM and DESSERTS of any kind. I have been eating Salads, Turkey, Chicken, Yogurt, Vegetables, Fish and a couple carboard boxes washed down with Coffee, water and a daily diet cola or two. No BEER, WINE or BOOZ neither!

Taking Four Prescriptions one of which makes me want to nap every few hours, but
    no pain or discomfort. Leg appears to be healing and I just might try to shoot a round or two tomorrow morning!

One last update for my friend "Been-Shot" (a.k.a. Smooth Move Gary)...I'm happy to let you know that I'm almost back to normal in that category too!

17. PSRFdaily

PSRFdaily TS Member

Lucky Joe,

Great to hear your doing well. So glad u made the right decision and that er doc new you were full of beans. I need a Rottweil buddy around.

TC

18. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

The trick now is to stay with it! I quit smoking 38 years ago when my daughter was born. wanted to be around as long as I could to see her grow up. Now it is my grandsons that I am enjoying. I tried a couple times without success but when I had a goal (my daughter) it worked. I also quit eating meat,eggs etc. I still have weight problems and high colesterol but sure don't miss the things I gave up. Keep a goal in mind and stay with it. best of luck and good shooting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.