1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Non-Registered Registered

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooter R, Nov 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

I've often though about this during cold, windy or rainy registered trap weekends. First, I believe "most" shooters like to shoot at or above their average. Since bad weather can certainly bring out a lot of "LOST!" calls, many choose not to shoot. Since clubs put a lot of time, effort, and money in setting up, does anyone think this idea has any merit...? Allow shooters to declare BEFORE THEY SHOOT, that they do not want their targets registered IF their score is below their average. If their score is at, or above their average, it will be registered reguardless. They would still have to be ATA members and pay all ATA and State fees. It would not help a sandbagger, nor would it require a AA shooter to maybe record a "bad" score on a "bad" day.

It could be argued that it would turn registered into some kind of a practice match. Maybe, in some respects. But I do not believe it would "hurt" anyone. If you think it would, please expaine how. I do believe it would increase club attendence, as many shooters think "AVERAGE" is a big deal. Big enough to not shoot on an "off" day. If attendence was up, purses may increase.

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

............only in Lake Wobegone are all the children above average.

3. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

I just drove my average down today in heavy rain and wind. Maybe next year they’ll move me down to a “B” and short yardage? Do a little sandbagging. LOL>>

4. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

Wish I were good enough for it to be intentional. My goal is to move up not down!
    The weather did account for a few lost targets; tomorrow should be a comeback day!

5. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I would have to say if the weather is that bad dont shoot. I know if the weather report is bad I just stay home save the gas, food ,entry money and shells. No need to feel cheated by the weather.

Jerry Lewis

6. 20yard

20yard TS Member

I don't know about this concept but I like the idea of something that would let more people shoot when weather isn't perfect. I don't have a great average to protect and I always shoot however on many days guys show but if wind, rain, cold decline to shoot and leaves many less playing the game.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Just extend that a bit further and say something like 'if my score isn't above xx, then I don't want to pay into the purse today'. No it doesn't seem to make sense does it?

Unfortunately the all important average number defines this game for too many people. Winter time shooting can be a whole lot of fun if a person focuses on what is important ... having a few laughs with good friends.

8. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

For our Tri County Trap Club scores we solved this issue by awarding annual trophies based on the best 9 out of 12 possible scores.

So, if its windy or wet or whatever go ahead and have some fun and shoot. If you get a low score it becomes one of the three that you can drop.

This promotes a better turnout at our monthly shoots.

Charlie

9. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

The idea has no merit.

John C. Saubak

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

How about making such a declaration before you shoot? Perhaps limit the option to shoots from Nov. through Feb. and exclude Florida and Arizona from the option. But, the more I think about the suggestion, the more out of favor it becomes.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.