1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Non-Lead Ammunition

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Traders, Jul 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traders

Traders Well-Known Member

A six position, indoor, 50' gun range that I belong to is having air quality problems because of lead in the air. While we sort out the lead in the air issues we are thinking about switching to completely non-leaded ammunition. No lead bullets or primers. We normally shoot everything from 22s to 45s. Anybody have any experience with this type of ammunition.

Thanks

2. Traders

A six position, indoor, 50' gun range that I belong to is having air quality problems because of lead in the air. While we sort out the lead in the air issues we are thinking about switching to completely non-leaded ammunition. No lead bullets or primers. We normally shoot everything from 22s to 45s. Anybody have any experience with this type of ammunition.

Thanks

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

What about a transition to mandate jacketed ammo first?!

Jay

4. Borg

Borg Member

Gotta agree with Jay. Don't vault past simple and reasonable measures to embrase something over the top. Jacketed bullets is what you will see most indoor ranges requiring, except perhaps in California where the absurd measure that destroys the activity is the first course of action.

Peter

5. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I believe you will find the Gun Store in Las Vegas is requiring lead free ammo on their ranges. I recently did a shooting qualification there with their lead free ammo and it seemed to work just fine. They do a lot of machine gun rentals so have a lot of shots fired. They have their own cab line and always have lines of customers waiting to rent. Some tour busses bring in customers as well. I was told their customers put 8,000,000 rounds through their machine guns last year (at $1.00 a round).

You might check with them on their lead free experience.

Bob

6. Traders

Thanks for all the advice. As usual, this site seems to know something about everything.

Jay/Peter--It would be much easier to go to jacketed bullets first, but the risk of added expense for testing is high. Let me explain. The local municipality has forced us to get tested before they will allow us to reopen the range. The official testing facility required costs about $1000 per test. We have already tried relatively simple modifications to the air replacement system and that didn't work but did cost us the $1000. We are desperate to get the range open and are afraid to try just jacketed bullets with standard primers. Apparently primers provide a significant amount of the lead in the air on our range.

Thanks again for your ideas.

7. Traders

Thanks for all the advice. As usual, this site seems to know something about everything.

Jay/Peter--It would be much easier to go to jacketed bullets first, but the risk of added expense for testing is high. Let me explain. The local municipality has forced us to get tested before they will allow us to reopen the range. The official testing facility required costs about $1000 per test. We have already tried relatively simple modifications to the air replacement system and that didn't work but did cost us the $1000. We are desperate to get the range open and are afraid to try just jacketed bullets with standard primers. Apparently primers provide a significant amount of the lead in the air on our range.

Thanks again for your ideas.

8. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

Fiochi makes reasonably priced lead free ammo that is made of sintered, compressed metals. They are also available to reloaders. For great info on this try sigforum.com

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    There is lead free handgun ammo, but you're looking at between $2 to $3 PER ROUND from Remington and Winchester. I hope the Fiocchi is substantially cheaper.

Speaking for myself, I'm not going to pay ridiculous amounts like that because a range doesn't have proper ventilation equipment.

10. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

Is this a public range?

11. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

The Fiochi was under $30 / box of 50.

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Actually several well known training facitlities (not just indoor) require lead free ammo on their ranges including Thunder Ranch. The ammo is priced like other premium grade lead projectile ammo and for the most part it is top notch quality.

Like it or not, the writing is on the wall. Even if you manage to keep your small indoor range open for lead ammo use, a problem has been identified and if there are any actual incidents of toxic exposure to lead at this range in the future guess where the liability is.

13. Traders

This is a private range used by members and guests, with no paid employees.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

non-lead ammunition air quality