1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Non fired shells with dented primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 870compman, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 870compman

870compman TS Member

Sunday at the club we were talking and one shooter said, "I heard if you shoot and the shell does not discharge don't drop it into your empty shell carrier. The dented primer will discharge by being knocked against the other shells."

I thought to discharge a shotgun primer, it had to be struck with force simmilar to a firing pin on a shotgun?

I have seen other shooters do this at gun clubs and no persons empty shell carrier ever exploded.

Has anyone seen a person an empty shell bag explode because a dented primer?

Dale Wolff

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Ridiculous! HMB

3. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

dropping shells with dented primers is no more dangerous than dropping shells without dented primers.

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Never heard of that happening. I put that in the BS files.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Chances are that if that firing pin hit that primer hard enough to dent it and it didn't fire the simple and subtle clanging in the shell bag sure ain't gonna discharge it. It wouldn't be the same explosion as it would in the barrel anyway. Not that i want one going off period in my bag. Hogwash story. That being said i always dispose of shells like that after the round more so that it doesn't mix with good shells and i try again.---Matt

6. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I personally had a .45 target round discharge when the box dropped about three feet to a concrete floor. Scared the bejesus out of me, but caused no damage except to the box. I also remember a round discharged at Camp Perry pistol matches one year when the rounds were dropped. The DCM Hard Ball match is 30 rounds, so DCM folks would take 20 rounds out of the boxes, then fill plastic baggies with the required 30 rounds. Some competitors were issued the boxes, some got the baggies. It was one of the plastic baggies that had the round discharge. I would not entirely discount the possibility that an improperly handled shell could discharge.

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Bob--your talking a drop on concrete from some height. He was talking about it clanging with other shells in a bag. Possible i guess but highly highly unlikely.---Matt

8. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Concrete at Camp Perry???.....NO

9. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

A buddy of mine was shooting a .41mag one sunday afternoon, it went click so he held it straight out for a few seconds.. nothing happened, so he pointed it downward to open the cylinder and KABANG!!! it blew a hole in the ground between his feet.. I guess it was what is called a hang fire..??

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Isn't that why you are supposed to treat every gun like it is loaded, and pointed in a safe direction?

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

What happens when a shell fires without being in a breech chamber?

12. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

When I was in the 4 or 5th grade I took a .22 shell apart I had th empty sheel casing in my pocket, and decided to put it on the shelf of my desk and wouldn't you know it I knocked it off onto the floor, and you guessed it, it went off.

I got sent to the principals office and my Mom got called in and had to leave work to pick me up, and then I got my ass beat!

To this day I cringe anytime I drop a .22 shell and it hits the cement floor.

I had a light primer strike this last weekend, and didn't have and extra shell to finish the round so I put the offending shell back in the gun for the last shot. Went off just fine and I actually hit the bird!

my experience on this subject has been exhausted.

Randy

13. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

As far as a shotgun shell going off without the primer being hit, I have a personal experience that should go in the "Can't believe something like this could happen" file.

Many years ago when I started shooting competition clay-target games here in South Texas, I actually had a shotgun shell go off in one of the pockets of my shooting vest right after I had sat down in a chair to let another shooter shoot during a country doubles (local clay target game) shoot. The shell had never been hit and about the same time as I sat down, I heard a big boom (seemed like that anyway) and felt something like "sand" blown up in my face, and then I looked down and saw a smoking hole in the front of the vest. Scared the you-know-what out of me, and after gaining a little composure, I kind of moved the vest away from me to see if anything was "missing" but I was still all intact. I looked down in the shell pocket and found the wad and loose shot and what I thought was "sand" was some of the un-burnt powder. The hull exited the pocket by blowing out backwards thru the front of the shell pocket and after a pretty intense search, we couldn't find it anywhere. It even glanced off a gentleman's back who was sitting in front of me pulling and scoring the event, and he yelled out after the shell exploded, "I'm hit !!!". No one knew why something like this would happen, but I did get in contact with Mike Jordan of Winchester and sent off some of the box of reloads from the one that went off, along with some of the primers from the same batch and they (Winchester) did a "ball-drop" test and never came up with anything, no too-sensitive primers or anything like that. Just one of those "memorable" moments I wished I wouldn't have experienced and only hope it never happens again.

Mike* (MH*)

14. pdq

pdq Member

If the shell fails to fire due to a bad primer, contact the manufacturer. Over the last 6 years and probably 100+ flats of Remington Gun Clubs, I've had 3 of them FTF. They paid for FedEx shipping, and after examination sent me money. First 2 was $9 each, most recent one was $8.00.

Never heard of one going off due to being in a bag of fired shells.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
dented primer dangerous
is a dented primer shotgun cartridge

is a dented shotgun bullet dangerous