1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Non Fire inspection,how does one know?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by need to shoot more, Jun 17, 2013.

1. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

I see where there is an non fire inspection on some used guns, how would one know assumimg its cleaned up as first recived.Also why no fire inspection.

Thank You for your thoughts,
    Jim

2. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Had my local FFL send a really nice Model 12 with Exhibition-Grade English Walnut stock and fore-end to a shooter (actually his dealer) more than a few year's ago - gave him a 3-day inspection with the caveat that if it didn't work for him he could send it back as long as it was in the same condition I received it and paid for insured shipping back to my local FFL.

A couple of weeks go by when the UPS truck drops off a package -- and inside was the Model 12 along with a note demanding I refund his money.

When I originally sent the gun it was shipped in two pieces - barrel and forend and the receiver and stock - each in their own box and well padded and cushioned - the boxes were put into a larger box with additional padding and protection. He shipped it back to me - assembled - wrapped in a couple of sheets of newspaper and some scattered Styrofoam peanuts - it had banged around in the box all the way from Georgia to California - and looked it. Rib has a dent in it, the bluing which was 99+% when shipped now was well rubbed in several places and the fore-end was cracked.

He also wasn't very careful when he assembled it as the left side of the receiver looked like he used a file on it and the whole left side of the stock was scratched,

He had also taken a file to the comb and, cut almost an inch from the lOP and while doing it he angled the cut and radically changed the pitch to the point where the lop would have been around 12 1/2" if I cut the stock straight.

I called him and ask him what the hell he was thinking - his response was "how could he tell if he liked it if he couldn't get the stock to fit him?"

I ask him about the scratches in the wood -- it was from his belt buckle. The poor job of packing was explained by "I was in a hurry to ship it and get my money back" -- and he wanted a Postal Money Order that included the cost of shipping both way.

I told him that (1) I wasn't going to send him a cent, and (2) that unless he sent me a Postal Money Order to pay for return shipping I was going to contact the ATF and tell them he'd sent a firearm directly to me without going thru a dealer and that I expected him to send the Money Order by next-day mail or the ATF would be contacting him.

That was an extreme case but I've also had guns sent back really dirty, with blue wear and with scratched wood --- and when I contacted them about it the typical response was me and my two buddies spent the week-end shooting it and they convinced me it wasn't worth what they paid for it - so I want my money back. My response was "fat chance" and if you want it returned send the cost of shipping ASAP.

I've sold quite a few guns over the years and all but a very few were great but you need to protect yourself against the idiots. Basic rule for me is once you register it -- it's yours unless you can send it back in the condition I sent it and you pay for me to re-register it in my name.

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Jim, I won't buy a used shotgun unless there is an inspection period AND I'm allowed to fire it. That is the only way to tell if the gun shoots straight, the barrels are regulated properly and the chokes (if any) all shoot to the same POI. I'm tired of buying someone else's problems and paying good money to fix them.

With pistols, it's different. I'm told that you can't have the pistol until you go through the check and registration process. Once you do, the pistol is yours. So you don't get to shoot it first, only inspect it.

4. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

zzt,

You can't take a shotgun from the dealer until you fill out the papers and do the background check either.

Bob