1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Non FFL Individuals Setting Up At Gun Shows

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by DoubleAuto, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

I have quite a few shotguns that I have accumulated over the years that I would like to sell to get my money out of them. I figure setting up at a gun show would be the quickest way to move these shotguns. I will set up a couple of gun shows in my home state and only selling to individuals who can prove they are residents of my state or FFL dealers. Is there any way I will be sideways with the ATF for simply trying to sell these guns? I hope to get this done in 2 to 3 gun shows.
    Also, will I be required to collect sales tax on these guns as an individual on any guns sold at the gun shows?

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Ive been to several shows that have a FFL table that handles transfers for a fee. As for taxes that might depend on where you live.

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Your best bet is to send them to a dealer you trust and have 'em put them on GunBroker. Selling values are generally higher and you won't have to deal with idiots!!

4. old pipe

old pipe TS Member

You might need a business license to collect taxes on sales. Need a FFL, to
    register the sold weapons, fill out form 4473, to complete transaction out.
    Check with your city & county about business license for selling to the public.
    Please do your home work before you sell any weapons. AFT looks for these
    selling. I do not want you to get into trouble for selling without a license.
    YOU can sell weapons on one on one basis AT YOUR HOME. Keep a log of what &
    to whom it was sold to.
    pineapple

5. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

To answer your question.

Yes you can set up. Check with the show manager. Some require the table owners to be dealers.

Long guns can go without any paperwork. Handguns have to go thru an FFL.

If you don't have a tax number, you ARE NOT ALLOWED TO COLLECT TAX, so don't worry about it.

I've had my FFL since 1989. I used to set up at the shows here in SW PA. Not everyone had an FFL or a store. If they did, they would have had a tax number and been required to collect the tax.

What state are you in? I might be interested in buying them all.

AJ100

6. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

I will be selling these guns in Tennessee. I know years ago when I set up at a gunshow to liquidate some guns the state tax people came around and checked for businesses tax certificate and took down names of individual sellers. Individual sellers were given tax schedules and forms to send in sales tax after the show. Just wanting to not run foul of the law. I guess I need to learn to sell as I buy other guns.

7. spritc

spritc Active Member

Gunbroker.com is truly your best bet if you can take digital pictures. All guns sold to other states will go to their FFLs. If you want to sit at a table for a whole weekend, there's nothing to stop you. The other thing you might do is offer your shotguns on TS.com. I've bought and sold dozens of guns on here with no trouble to date. Great people in every case.

Good luck,
    Steve

8. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I used to go on the show circuit in NY (no FFL). It was just a hobby and helped me to do enough horse trading to get a couple of things I wanted. We had to voluntarily tender sales tax at the end of each show. Then NY state wanted a tax id number. That was the end of it. I lived on Long Island at the time and town zoning said you could not have a business at your home and there was certainly not enough money in it to get a FFL and a Storefront. Many states have cracked down on sales tax and we know the feds have cracked down on gun dealers. Getting a tax id number means you are in business and I think that means you should get a FFL - but I am not a legal expert or even a legal know-it-all - just giving an opinion and sharing an old story.

9. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

Double Auto,
    Were bout's in Tn do you live? What do you have for sale? I live in Fall Branch, Tn which is close to Kingsport. There's a gunshow at Meadowview Convention Center(Kingsport,Tn) on March 21,22, and 23. Call me if you want at 423-863-2543.
    thx,
    Keith

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.