1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Noble Sport primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ross, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Anybody else ever have problems with Noble Sport (NS) primers in the cool weather (40 degrees)? Can't get my usual Rem. STSs so bought some NSs, lots of soft--light recoil loads--primer is the ONLY change. Rem STS hull 16-17 gr Clays WW clone (grey or pink) 7\8+ reclaim shot. It's not all that cold in Ga. but problems started with the primer switch. Normally use 700X and have used a few other primers (Fed--CCI--CCI M)w\o any trouble, was given a 4#er of Clays so thought I'd just use it up. Still had a few Rems. so the next out time I loaded the same hulls that were soft with Rems & all was well.

Maybe NSs & Clays just don't like each other when it cools off????? Still have 700X think I will try a couple boxes with it and the NSs just to see what happens. Any experience will help. Thank You --Ross Puls

Edit: Conned a buddy out of some American Target (made by Cheddite I think) they worked fine--no soft or blooper loads. Apparently NSs & Clays just don't get along in cool temps.

2. notarget

notarget TS Member

I have used thousands of them with no problems until recently when I experienced the same problem with Winchester hulls and 2028 powder in 28 gage loads. This appears to happen in cold weather and is less noticeable on warm days.

3. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

Some of the flash holes were not covered in almost every sleeve of Nobel primers. I had alot of poor ignitions with Nobels in cold weather, along with enlargements of the primer pockets. I won't use them again. Bob

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Dont get me started on Nobels, I consider them junk

5. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

I've shot 50000 of them not a problem with them. Less misfires then I've had with factory Remington nitros or Winchester aa. I had problem with 7/8 ounce loads you were loading added a bit more powder and stopped that problem.

6. rebelpenn

rebelpenn Member

Same issue w/similar load. 16.5 grains ClayDot w/0.92 oz. reclaimed being only difference. funny sounding, too soft, inconsistent shooting, lots of unburned powder, even in warm weather. Shells kept inside. I was trying for a slower load w/reclaimed shot. Will up powder 1.0 grains or more to see if that improves load.

7. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I have used NS for the last three years, year round in the heat and snow, probably 25k. No problems.

I shoot with people who have trouble with their reloads year round no matter what they use.

8. notarget

notarget TS Member

I too had noticed no problems with them until the lot I am presently using. There is a higher incidence of missing flash hole covers which would be an indication of poor quality control in the manufacturing process.

9. Baber

Baber TS Member

Have loaded nearly 100k with zero problems. Don't have a problem wit cold as I live in Florida.

Tom

10. okiefarmer

okiefarmer Member

I have loaded several sleeves in the past and thought they were the same as ww209's. This winter I swore I would chrono every load before making big bunches. I have never had a mis fire with the nobels but after chrono-ing them, one must definitely use more powder with them than with a federal or with a ww primer if he wants the same speed. I was loading estate hulls and was around 1150 with federals, the same with nobels was around 1030 fps. I upped the powder to get back to 1150 a full grain. My shooting partner uses them and broke numerous 100's in doubles and singles last year. He does not up his powder amount and I can't beat him so maybe I am being too anal.

11. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

loaded 15k no problems....

12. creek

creek Member

I have loaded 100's of thousands w/o a misfire. I switched to them because of misfires from winchesters.
    CREEK

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

My favorite 12 ga. load is 17 gr's of Clay w/ AA wad and one oz. of shot. I never had a problem with this load until I loaded some with Nobel Sport primers (instead of Win. primers). I was getting several blooper sounding shells per box. I live in Florida, so cold temps was not a problem and I switched back to Win. primers and all was fine. I used up all the NS primers in sub-gauge loads. I know I could have fixed the off sounding/weak loads with more powder drops as I was already at the bottom of the pressure already, but I didn't want faster/more recoiling loads. Maybe if I had Win. AA lite powder that would have worked better, because of the higher pressures for the same load and speed. The same primers worked great in the sub-gauges (higher pressures) so the primers were OK, they just did not work very well with the lower pressure 12 ga. load I liked. Hope this helps someone out. Break em all. Jeff

14. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Use SEARCH to read all about them.

Horrible error for me. Bloops and low velocities 1250 shells dropped to 934 with a 20 Deg F temp drop.

Guy at the trap club has 4900 of them for sale at reduced price

Nobel Sport, AKA No Shoots, No Sale, No Sh12

regards

15. rdf59

rdf59 Member

Have used 40,000 over last several years in STS's with 700x and Tite Wad. Mostly 18.5 g with CB wads 1 1/8 which I use for both trap and clays. I use them with temps ranging from 98 to 15 degrees. Live in the GA mountains and snow is not unusual. Rain is no impediment. Many of them (3 per 100) had the red sealer missing. I have experienced 000000 misfires, bloopers, or whatever else you can call them.

I commit to using NS until I throw out the hulls. I think they are great. Considering the price, I consider them a must buy.

Dick

16. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Whew,

At the club today they told me that Nobel were the only ones left that the Supplier had. Glad I didn't order any of these...I'll go without for a spell.

Dave in SC

17. schwabby

schwabby Member

They always go bang. The biggest drawback for me is they are over sized and often seat proud in a mec, even after adjusting the loader, causing all kind of hangups. I also noted that velocity spreads were huge when using them with Promo. Don't know if it was the primers, powder, or what. Basically not worth messing with unless you are using a single stage loader and on a tight budget.

18. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

When Nobel Sport started to push marketing in the US they engineered their primers to duplicate the pressures and velocities developed my WW primers so that Nobels could be a direct substitute for Winchesters in already-published data. Alliant tested Nobels and agreed that they did that and even published a statement to that effect in their reloading data manual.

That statement no longer appears in the data guide. Don't know whether it was the primers that changed or the political/legal climate at ADK that shifted.

I use them in place of WW primers. The size difference is irrelevant since I have no reason to put Winchesters in the hulls after Nobels. I don't test these loads but I have never had a bloop or a misfire in 15000 primers and I can't see any difference in performance. I DO have one XT that doesn't like them and punches holes in them occasionally. When I get back home I'm gonna take the new style firing pin out of the XT's bottom barrel and replace it with the shorter previous design to see if that makes a difference.

Keller

19. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

schwabby , When you say Nobel Sport's "often seat proud in a mec" are you using Rem hulls? That would not be a primer problem.

rdf59 , At $90/ 5000 , NS's are a real bargain. I don't have the "blooper" blues either.

20. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I have not used Noble Primers, but the Price make them look attractive. Reloading 7/8 oz. loads with Clay Dot, and a CB 0178 grey wad, I use 17.5 to 18 grains of Powder. Not much recoil and velocity is fast!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

700x with noble sport primer

bloopers with nobel sport primers

making noble sport primers work in cold weather