1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nobelsport Primers

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by timb99, Jan 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Any reason NOT to use these?

I normally use Winchester, but latest pricing has the Nobelsport at $48 per 5000 primers lower than Winchester ($88 plus tax vs. $134 plus tax)

I realize that's a savings of only one penny a shell, but, well, money is money.

Hodgdon tells me Fiocchi and Nobelsport can be substituted safely for Winchester primers.

I've seen a few posts on the subject and understand the diameter is slightly larger so you can't go back to Winchester once you've used these in a hull.

Tim

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

Have loaded over 70k without problems. Have 14k in inventory. You already know about the diameter difference. These are great primers however there is one poster on this forum that apparently got a bad batch some years ago and hates them. I love them especially the price. Have also started using their wads as well.

TB

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

anyone know where to get the primers or wads in the northeast?

4. qshot

qshot TS Member

Go to gamaiel shooting supply.com and click on primers then click on noble sport it is not worth doing unless you order 4 sleeves on one haz mat. fee.
    They are good primers and if you go to www.itishooting.com/noblesport.asp you can read all about the primer. Charlie

5. Kolar Dan

Kolar Dan Member

If you order enough they might pay the hazmat. Find out where their break point is. The last time I ordered powder from Graf's they picked up the hazmat. Try Graf's if they won't. It doesn't cost anything to ask.
    Sonny

6. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

I did not like the primers, they did not work well in my loader.

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The NobelSport Primers are decent as are their wads. I haven't encountered any real troubles with the primers, except for the size difference. They can be safely substituted for the Winchesters in the Hodgdon Data, according to Hodgdon. I have NOT seen anything that includes the Fiocchi primers in that statement, since the Hodgdon data itself, contradicts that claim for many loads. I have used at least ten thousand of the NobelSport primers without any issues. That is not an earth shaking amount, but enough to know that they worked well for me. I used them in several different guns. They are just not easily available in my neck of the woods, unless you want to pay shipping and Hazmat. Rio and Fiocchi are available at about the same cost.

I have had some troubles with certain powders and primers in colder weather. I test my usual loads in cold conditions as well as hotter weather. Single base powders usually do not work well for me in colder temps, unless they are loaded to moderate or higher levels of pressure. Some wads are also a problem in colder weather. Before making a large investment in components, it would be wise to test some completed rounds in hot and cold temps to see how they work. That means chronographing and pattern testing. Not just a few rounds, but a couple of boxes at the least. There are many shooters in my areas that reload and we have been known to lend others a box of this, bag of these, or a pound of that for them to try it out. They usually return the favor without question.

8. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Tim where are you getting them for that price. I'm tempted to try a sleeve.

Jim

9. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I too bought some ( 5000) because they were cheap. I had a lot of Bloopers where they did not sound good and the barrel was left with a lot of un burnt powder. I hope it is just the cold weather but as of right now I am scared to use them

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Jim101

Lynn Gipson of KCTA at Smithville, MO just sent out a winter component sale price list. Orders need to be in by 27 January. Usually he asks for a $500 minimum, but the price list doesn't say that this time.

Eagle shot at $35.95 and Remington shot at $39.95

Good prices on other stuff as well.

e-mail me if you want the price list. I have it scanned.

Of course, replace the AT with "@" and the DOT with "." in my e-mail address above.

Tim

12. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Thanks Tim. I can get it drom his website.

Jim

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Jim,

I don't think its on there.

Tim

14. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have used the Noble's and Fiocchi and like the Fiocchi's best because of the sizing. As far a cold weather several primers can be a problem. I bought several cases of PMC's and S&B's 3 3/4 drams 1 1/4 7 1/2 for dove hunting this year and had a lot of trouble with the PMC's especially not firing in 28 degree weather. As soon as it warmed up to around 60 degrees they shoot without any problem. The S&B's didn't misfire as bad but still had a problem with them. Jackie B.

15. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

My findings are as Cubancigar 2000 as well. Alot of soft loads and a few bloopers and unburned powder in the barrel with Clays powder. I have a batch of higher powder drops and will give that a try. If it doen't work I have already called Gamaliel so I can return the unused primers, so now I have to deal with a return hazmat fee as well. I am shooting in super weather down here in S. Fla. as well so temp is not the problem and have had the same problem with 3 different powders as well. Just glad I only used a few hundred hulls so as not to waste to many hulls when I have to go back to Win. primers. I just noticed they went up again at Gamaliel, another twenty dollar price hike. Up to $175 or so a sleeve now. CCI and Feds also went up as well. The STS are the only one's not to go up, as of yesterday. I would stay away from these primers. My 2 cents. Break-em all. Jeff

16. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Tim, Actually for the difference in price between the NS primers and what I've been paying for fiocchi wouldn't pay the gas to go get them. I'd have to buy 25,000 to break even.

Jim

17. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Has anyone loaded the Nobel Sport primers in Rio/Diana/Kemen hulls? Our club sells about 1/2 million of these shells yearly, and the hulls load well with Rio primers. But these have gone up $37 wholesale per case in the last 6 months. ;^(

Any info would be welcome. I have a test lot coming sometime next week, but would like to know ahead of time if these will work in these hulls.

18. Baber

Baber TS Member

has anyone loaded the Nobel Sport primers in Rio/Diana/Kemen hulls? Our club sells about 1/2 million of these shells yearly, and the hulls load well with Rio primers.

YES!!! Many thousands. The Rio/Kemen are the same hull as the Nobelsports. Use their data and you should not have a problem.

Tom Baber

19. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Tom

Thanks. The SCTP kids shoot these shells, and since I have convinced some of the hard working Coaches that I know a little about the game (LOL) they bring me target boxes of these things, already sorted! They load very well, as you probably know.

I use REX I powder in them and get fabulous results. The Rio primers went from $80 a case, when I bought 100K, to $120 case wholesale. OUCH. The good thing is, for ordering over $500 worth of merchandise, I get free shipping to my door via truck, eliminating HAZ MAT rip off, errr, I mean fees.

The Nobelsport primer is stocked by a nearby distributor.

20. Baber

Baber TS Member

If you want to save more use the NobleSport wad. They have good loading data for the 24 GM load.

TB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.