1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nobelsport Primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by johns6, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johns6

johns6 TS Member

Anyone currently using Nobelsport primers? I used to use them with no problem, but they are no longer listed as a replacement for Win 209 in Hodgdon reloading manual. Since primers are scarce now I am considering them with 1oz in AA hulls and 17.4g Clays.

2. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

do a search on these threads

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I just got an email from Ben Amonette from Alliant about substituting some other primers for the now-pricy Remingtons I used in a 1 oz load with American Select powder. This is what he wrote: <center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

On burn rate charts, American Select is rated as just slightly faster than Clays so pressure would be a tad more of an issue with Am. Select than with Clays. think you're good to do the swap. (I've had NS primers stick in the tray when I load them in my press and I threw several away before I realized that it was happening.) I been using NS primers in place of Winchesters in some of my favorite loads and have had nothing but success with them. They ARE ever so slightly larger in diameter than Winchester primers but they seat well in my PW press.

Keller

4. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

There is only one logical reason for a North American shooter to buy NobelSport primers - and that is to save money. I am all for that.....

Typically, I have been a Winchester 209 consumer. I recently bought some NobelSport's in an effort to help develop myself into a skin-flint. On the advice of experts, I used the same reloading formulas as prescribed for the Winchester 209.

I have suffered some odd sounding reports with the NobelSports - at least one per 25 on average. I believe one reason for this has to do with the fact that some of the NS primers are lacking the red "seal" in the primer hole. I suppose this allows powder to get into places it shouldn't and that, in turn, causes squibs.

Although the savings was attractive, I believe I will not buy any more NobelSport primers. My experience with Winchester 209 primers has been flawless and excellent. Peace of mind is worth something - even to a skin-flint wannabe.

Mike

5. shootnair

shootnair Member

Last year I shot Nobelsport primers, REX powder, reclaimed shot from the Leadminer, cheapest wads I could buy all thru a ol'beat up BT-100. I shot as good as most, earned two trophies at the Grand and won a 1099 from the tax man. I think Nobelsport primers are just fine. Of course, I shot new shells at the Grand handicaps because thats the rules :)

6. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Purchased and shot 10K of the Nobel Sports. They all went bang but I found them to be very hard primers, so you need a good strong hammer strike. Won't be purchasing anymore.

7. Unknown1

<blockquote><i>"I have suffered some odd sounding reports with the NobelSports - at least one per 25 on average. I believe one reason for this has to do with the fact that some of the NS primers are lacking the red "seal" in the primer hole.</i></blockquote>I find an open hole every now and then...maybe one every 300-400 primers. I have a quick fix.

I keep a supply of little paper disks punched out of regular tissue wrapping paper with a 1/4" punch in an empty tin "Altoids" box on my bench . When I find an open hole, I put a light coat of clear finger nail polish on the end of the primer and stick the primer onto one of the tissue paper discs. Put the primer back in the primer tray and by the time it gets down to the primer assembly the nail polish is dry and the hole is sealed.

Keller

8. Rebel Sympathy

Thanks, Keller.

Mike

9. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

I have used over 50000 so far many in the load you are asking about not one blooper. Have had less misfires then factory Remington nitros & Winchester aa. Yes I get open holes in the primer pockets. I don't do anything to them all have went off without a problem couldn't tell you the difference once loaded and you can't see the difference.

10. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"Yes I get open holes in the primer pockets. I don't do anything to them all have went off without a problem couldn't tell you the difference..."</i></blockquote>Some guys fluff their wads in a clothes dryer, some guys wash their hulls, I plug open primer holes.

Adds a little bit of variety to what might otherwise be a really boring activity, ya know?

Keller

11. Baber

Baber TS Member

Have loaded 100+k of Nobel sports without problems. Rebel if you have something off sounding its probably not the primers but something else like a hull wad powder mismatch.

T

12. Rebel Sympathy

Could be, T., although I reload by the book and have no problems with Win 209 primers.

13. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

component problems is a convenient excuse. It is usually no powder in the shell that is the real problem.

14. creek

creek Member

I have used hundreds of thousands of Nobles and I have yet to get a blooper, or odd sounding as a result of the primer. I have seen shooters with blooper Winchesters on many more than one occasion however.

I use Nobles as a direct replacement to Winchester 209 primers.

John

15. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

I might depend more on the size of the flakes of powder you are using with the primers with the open holes. I use red dot and never have an issue with any of them. I agree that every 100 Nobel Sports I put in the loader, probably 4 or 5 don't have the flash hole covered but they still shoot fine for me.

16. Rebel Sympathy

Okay, sure. Me not know nothing 'bout reloading.....

17. okiefarmer

okiefarmer Member

I have four sleeves of Nobels I would sell for $400 plus shipping.

18. rdf59

rdf59 Member

I've used in excess of 40,000 Noblesport primers with no squibbs. They can use the WIN 209 formulas.

One concern was the missing red primer seals on them. I find that about 2% are without those seals. So, I decided to keep them separate and collect 100 of them. I loaded them in my STS hulls with 18.4 700X, CB 1118-12 and 8 1/2 mag shot.

I managed a 96 with no squibbs or funny sounding shots.

I will buy them, use them, buy them, use them and on and on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.