1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nobel Sports Primers? Who and what are they?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jerbear, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

I have used about 1000 so far and have had no problems. I use the same recipe I have with the Win209's, 18 grains Clays, Downrange 1oz wad, Remington hull and the only difference I see is that they are larger,Once you use them you will have to continue because the win209's will fall out. I have them for my throw away shells, no bloopers and no dead primers so far. I got them because they were $18.75 a 1000 from my club. I don't know what they cost retail.

Jerbear

2. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Gamaliel has them.

Jerbear

3. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Another place.

Jerbear

4. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Found this about the company and shells.

5. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

I had used about 40,000 of them, and loved them that whole time,,until,,it happened. 18 bad primers, all within a round of 50 pair of doubles. It happened during a practice round thank goodness.

The first 10 duds all had the same thing in common. The cup was noticeably deep within the primer body. I noticed this, and checked the last 50 reloads. Not one was deep.

I fired the second 50 and proceeded to have 8 more duds. Took them home and put them under the magnifying glass.

All of them had the cup driven deep into the primer body. I could see the scrape markings while under the glass. The firing pins (both top and bottom) drove the cups deep into the primer body. Either the cups are (very) thick, or there was nothing under the cups that normally stops this movement.

Others had mentioned problems with them. I found out first hand. I've got the boxes, lot number, and neatly cut open duds (thanks to Gary Bulley's cutter), and they will accompany me to the Grand.

6. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

I have loaded 35K+ of them. In STS, they are fine. Had trouble in AA's. I use PW with hydraulics. The AA's set too deep.
    They do oversize the hull pockets.

I wad told by Parks & Sons...supply wholesaler in NC, load them like Winchester 209.

The only misfires were in AA's and Fed Papers. This was due to the primer depth.
    I put them in the top and they went off fine.

7. rdf59

rdf59 Member

Have used about 8-9000 of them in STS and Rem Gun Club. They do expand the pocket enough so that Win 209s will be loose. I was told to use the Win 209 loads from the book. Have been using 700X and claybusters AA replacements.

Have had zero problems.

8. EDGARMCM

EDGARMCM TS Member

The above will get you complete loading data.

9. argus tuft

argus tuft Member

They are Martingnoni or something like that, they made cheddite hulls and primers, they apparently got a dose of the shorts and filed for chapter 11, Dyamit Nobel bought the rights to the primers(you should something on the box mentioning the name martigioni division of nobel), apparently the Italian government tipped in some money to prop up the manufacturing of chettite hulls and they continue in business.

I have used over 50000 of these primers over the years and have had 1, repeat one missfire, we can't get them anymore here in Australia, but if we could I would use them exclusively, I have loaded them in all different hulls and never had aproblem, mind you I only load a hull once and tip it out on the ground.

Argus

10. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I've used 21K or so, and have another 39K standing by. The first few thousand I would find one or two in a hundred that did not have the flash hole covered. No problem since I was using a flake powder. On the 40K I bought a year later, none have had the flash hole uncovered. They must have tightened up their QA. Have not experienced any misfires, which I can't say for factory Winchester. The Hodgdon powder manuals specifically state they can be used as a direct substitute for Winchester 209. I do find they are a tight fit in the primer pockets, so once I use them in a hull, that hull is segregated for their use only.

...Bob_K...

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

There are also the Wolf brand 209 primers. I have not seen or heard of any load data for these yet. Powder Valley .com has them for 95.00/5000 . I have used Wolf ammo both centerfire and shotshell with no problems. Assume the primers will function the same.

12. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Piddy-

Why give up on Cheddites? I have had ZERO problems with them for over 20K rounds. Also have had good results with Wolf 209s, but they do seem to be a bit snappier. Did a test using nothing but a primered hull, and the Wolf definitely had a sharper bark. I know this really doesn't mean much compared to actual use, but it was interesting.

13. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

I loaded about 20k some ten years ago and had one bad one. They are larger than our standard primers so keep your hulls seperate. Also, I chrono'ed them with my WW209 powered cap loads and the NS's were consistently 50 fps or so faster.

Buz

14. psfive

psfive Member

I have put 10,000 of them in Remington and Winchester hulls with very few no fires. I guess no worse than any other primers on the no fires at least the other ones I have used. Nobel primers, 18.2 grains of Clays, Downrange wads and homemade shot we break a lot of rocks. Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.