1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nobel Sport Primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trapperwads, Jul 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapperwads

trapperwads Well-Known Member

Anyone use Nobel sport primers? Are they oversized or standard and what is the country of their origin? thanks ed nichols

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

They are made in Italy, Once you use them, you can only use Noblesports in that hull. They have the same burn rate as Win 209. I loaded alot of them & they work just fine.

Phil Berkowitz

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

They are oversized and Hodgdon says their data for the Winchester 209 can be used for them. Some people swear by them and some swear AT them. I don't use them unless I get them for free or close to it. The ones I get are usually sworn at quite a bit before I get them. I've never had too much trouble with them when loaded in throw aways.

4. shadow

shadow Active Member

If you can get them at a decent price, buy a BUNCH. Yep they stretch the primer pockets to a point where a standard size 209 will sometimes fall out, but I have loaded thousands without a single problem.

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I have used about 2000 in Federal GM plastic hulls and like them. I use Winchester 209 data and load 20 grains of Green Dot, 12S3 wad and 1 1/8 oz of 8's. I used to use a Federal 209A and 19.3 of Green Dot.

I have purchased another 5000 more and plan to use them on an ongoing basis as the price is much lower than Winchester, Remington or Federal.

The Nobel's seat fine on my MEC Grabber. They seat flush with little, if any, additional effort. However, when depriming, a few failed to clear the hull so I adjusted the depriming punch a little downward.

If Winchester primers were available I would still use the Nobel because of the price difference.

I still plan to use Federal 209A for some loads I use during the winter months.

Ed Ward

6. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I've used 15K of them with no real problems. They are noticably harder to seat in Remington Game hulls, more so in 20 ga than 12 ga. I use the Nobel Sports in these hulls as my practice ammo, and save the big name primers for my STS hulls for matches.

7. Baber

Baber TS Member

Have used 50K+ of them without problems. Yes they are larger but I put them in european hulls that need this size primer.

Tom

8. 100straight

100straight Member

35,000+ here in Winchester & Remington hulls, with no problems at all.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

9. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

3000 + on nobles, only found 3, that the little red cover over primer hole wasn't in place, but no problems, promo powder. I use them all Rem , federal and estates hulls do fine. good luck.
    Railroad

10. gold40

gold40 Member

I've used several thousand Nobel primers, and been pleased.

gold40

11. bolt-action

bolt-action TS Member

I have loaded between 1,000 - 2,000 of them with excellent results. Yes, they are a little larger than standard primers, but offer no problems for me other than leaving the primer pocket too large for standard primers to fit in snugly. This is not a problem as long as you just keep them separate and continue to load them with Nobel Sport primers for the remaining life of the hull.

However, there is one great misconception floating around on this forum that needs to be addressed. The Hodgdon Loading Manual (on the bottom of page 35) states the following - "Primer Substitution: The Nobel Sport 209 primer may be safely substituted wherever the Winchester 209 primer is shown." It DOES NOT say that their burn rate is the same - It DOES NOT say that they will shoot the same. They can be safely substituted, but they are by no means a direct replacement.

I have shot several loads through a chronograph within the past 2 months and have discovered 2 things about Nobel Sport primers. 1) They shoot very consistent velocities (much of the time better than the Winchesters) and 2) In every powder/wad combination that I tried, they shoot 25-30 fps SLOWER velocities than Winchester primers. You must step up the powder charges to keep the same velocity.

This information leads me to believe that they are probably not quite as hot as Winchester primers. How will they perform in cold weather? I don't know yet, but I will find out in a few months.

The first 100 that I loaded for the range, I let my 14 year old daughter shoot. Gun Club hulls - Nobel Sport 209 primers - 16.32 grains IMR 700X powder - Claybuster Windjammer wad - 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2 magnum shot. Through my chronograph, the average velocity for this load (through her full choke barrel) is 1160 fps with a standard deviation of 7.54 fps. She broke 99/100.

I know several people who have shot thousands of them over the past 2-3 years with no problems or complaints. Gamaliel Shooting Supply is currently selling them for $21.50 per 1,000. This is a significant price savings with excellent performance. They are manufactured in Italy - the same country that makes Beretta and Benelli. Until I personally find a reason not to like them, I will continue to shoot them.

12. rdf59

rdf59 Member

15,000+ with 2 "no-fires" both out of the same batch of 100. They were within 5 shells of one another so they were manufactured, probably, within 10 of each other.

I just reordered another 10,000. Still have 4,000 Winchesters left, but I am waiting for a new batch of once-fired shells to use the Wins since they will fit in the first time reloads. They may wobble a bit if you put them into the Nobelsport holes.

13. DocJim

DocJim Member

Do the Nobels stretch the primer pocket more than RIOs? About the same? In other words will they work in cases previously loaded with RIO primers? Anyone know? ...................AJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
nobel primer burn through

nobel primers

nobel sport primer problems

nobel sport primers

nobelsport 209 primers review

oversize 209 primers
oversized shotgun primers
who makes nobel sport primers