1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nobel Sport primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by claybustin hoosier 52, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. claybustin hoosier 52

claybustin hoosier 52 Member

Has anyone on here used Nobel Sport 200 primers? Did you like them or not like them, and what are they equivalent to Federal, Winchester or Remington.

Thanks

John

2. claybustin hoosier 52

claybustin hoosier 52 Member

Sorry guys Hit wrong key should be 209 not 200

3. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

When I used them I noticed that compared to Win 209's I would need about 1 - 1.5 grains more of powder to equal the velocity I was getting with my loads. Anyone that is in Indiana I have about 1500 Noble Sport primers left that I would sell for a great price if someone wants then.

4. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

Nobles tend to enlarge primer pockets when hull was previously loaded with a Win 209. Bob

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

John, as said they will enlarge the primer pocket in the hulls. So you need to keep using the Nobel Sport primer for the rest of the life of that hull. They are direct swap for the Winchester primer on reloading data. The Hodgdon tech support will confirm this if you want to call them. So I would think that it would be the same for Alliants powder as well. Now that said, I have had trouble with them as well in 12 ga. loads. My favorite load has very low pressures and I get a fair amount of off sounding loads. I also load the small and baby bore loads and have no problems with them with the higher chamber pressures these shells have (28ga.,410ga.) My load in 12 ga. is listed at 8100 psi pressure. It may be that you need to raise the pressure to 9000 or so to get the primers to work well. Deercreek said he added one to one and one/half grains to his loads and they were OK then. I do not want to shoot a faster load then the one I like in 12 so I need to use Win. AA primers, and all is well. I have loaded thousands of my load with no problems until I used the Nobel Sports and had to go back to the Win. AA's. So if you like your load that you use now and it has below 9000 psi pressure I would think that you may not like them. I would try a few hundred or so before you go out and buy 5000 of them or more. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

6. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I've used 20K of them and have only a few minor problems. Early ones had 1-2 primers per hundred without the flash hole covered, but that now seems a rare occurance. I would just set them aside for use with flake powders. They are slightly larger than American primers as evidenced by the slight difficulty seating them in 12 ga Remington Game, Sport, and Gun Club hulls for the first reload. After that, no problem. The steel shellhead is probably a contributor to the seating difficulty. For Remington 20 ga Game, Sport, and Gun Club hulls, the seating difficulty is a little harder, so I normally seat the first pass with Nobel Sports primers as a separate action. Otherwise the not quite seated primers play hell with my MEC 9000H as they drag on the base plate. Hodgdon says they can be used as a direct substitute for WW 209 in their Hodgdon shotshell reloading guide, and this statement has now also been picked up in the Winchester reloading guide (which Hodgdon now distributes).

7. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

For some reason I had difficulty with them not firing. I had my gun (Kolar) checked and nothing wrong. They would always fire on the second attempt. No more for me. Jake

8. Baber

Baber TS Member

Have used 50K+ of them without problem. I load almost exclusively the Cheddite type hull. They are perfect for this application. They are great.

Tom

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Same as J2jake - lots of first time misfires, goes off the second time. Mostly in colder weather, they seem to be fine in warmer cliamtes but they do enlarge the primer hole and render it useless for other primers. I had so many misfires I was changing firing pins, triggers springs etc until I figured it out. Bottom line is they are not worth the savings and I will stick with Feds

10. shadow

shadow Active Member

I havent had a bad one in about 50,000. No misfires,no bloopers.

11. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

deercreek you have a PM, John E. in Indiana

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

nobel sport primers reloading data

noble sport primer reload data

noble sport primer reload data for 20 ga