1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nobel Sport Primers VS. Cheddite

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by superump, Mar 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superump

superump TS Member

I have used and shot cheddite primers for over 8 years and reloaded over 70,000 shells and NEVER had one problem. They were always the best buy per 5000 and worked great in my AA and STS shells. Now I see these Nobel Sport primers for $16.00 per 5000 cheaper than cheddites. Are these primers any good? Are they the same size as cheddites and as far as reloading ballistics where do they stand? I have read on this site many times that the cheddite primer has basically the same velocity as Winchester 209's. What about the nobel sport and do you like them or should I stay with the cheddites for $16.00 more? In this day and age of reloading and reloading costs if you reload as much as I do $16.00 adds up. Any opinions or help appriciated, THANK YOU in advance

2. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

I did the same switch your are thinking about last year and it didn't work. Nobil Sport primers are only .001 less diameter but when I reloaded the same shells I had used Cheddites in, several primers simply fell out of the bottom of the loaded hull. You wouldn't think that small amount would make such a difference but it certainly did for me. I never had any type of primer fail to go off.

BTW, I load only old style AA's.

Tim

3. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I use them both .I put the nobels in my AA hulls and cheddite in everything else.No mix ups this way.PJ

4. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I went from Cheddite to NS for the same reason, to save money. They work fine and you won't see any difference.

5. schutzemgud

schutzemgud TS Member

Superump I am just finishing up 5,000 Nobel primers and not failures at all. I was using Cheddite primers for quite awhile then they went hard to get so i tried Nobels. I think I will stay with them. For the difference in price I can buy 1,000 wads. With lead going crazy it helps.

Mike

6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

When I reload I could care less what brand the primers are. As long as the shell goes off, I am happy. I started using Nobel primers last year as they are the cheapest I can find without any misfires.

My hulls are free from the local gun club.

The cheapest gun powder I could find is Red dot.

The cheapest wads I can find I get them by the shovel full for free at the local gun club. When they are all a sleep at night I am out at the club like a grave robber with a spot light shoveling away.

The cheapest shot I could find is from a relative who makes his own shot from wheel weights and I get a plastic gallon milk jugs of shot for $15.00 each. All different sizes.

I am the cheapest sob on this planet, but my reloads are cheap and fantastic. I am breaking more targets with these loads than ever before. Name of the game is to break targets with the least expensive loads you can get. Lower cost of ammo equals more shooting.

Steve Balistreri

7. razor

razor TS Member

yes, senior smoke you are cheap and you also don't know how to cook a steak. had to throw that in, razor

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Dang Razor, Take it easy on the man. When we go out to eat we can have a steak any way you want, when you are paying for it. Now as far as the Nobel Sport primers go. They are just as good for less money. Now they are a Euro sized primer and they are oversized. So when you use them you must continue to use them for the life of the hulls your loading. Just take 500 hulls and load them all 10 times. Toss hulls and your out of primers simple. Break-em all. Jeff

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I would look to save the money elsewhere. It boils down to 8 cents a box savings for $16.00 per 5000. For less than half a cent per shell, I don't need to deal with the oversized primers and some of the inconsistent performance I've experienced with the Nobel Sports. They work, go bang, but have not done as well as others in cold weather for me. Some loads were somewhat inconsistent. Your mileage may vary. If you are loading Eurotrash hulls, the 8 cents a box might fit the profile.

I've never had any issues with the Cheddites, but some people have reported pierced primers and damaged firing pins.

10. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

To save more money use once fired primers. Fred

11. schutzemgud

schutzemgud TS Member

I have been using Nobels with no problems.

As for the size I have been told that size does matter however when my hydraulic Mec re-sizes the shell it would appear this is taken care of as I also use Cheddite and Fiocchi and have never had a primer fall out.

I did call Mec and ask if the primer hole would be re-sized each time and was informed that yes it would. Makes sense to me that that much concentric pressure would re-size the primer pocket. Your mileage may vary.

Mike

12. Bertmuss

Bertmuss Member

I have used thousands of Cheddites and they work great for 12's and 20's but in 28's and 410's and light load they tend to burn through occasionally. I have used Win 209's for that reason on the smaller shells. I bought some of the Nobelsports when I saw they were cheaper. They work great on the small ones, but I load a real light 12 for singles and the nobelsports don't light them up consistently. RM

13. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

I like the Nobel primers:

1. Every single one has ignited

2. They are "tighter", and leave less residue around the firing pin on the breechface

3. They are harder and flatter, so my old doubles with some firing pin drag don't get hung-up

4. They are 50% cheaper than Rem or Win.

14. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I use Cheddite primers in STS hulls and Nobel Sport primers in Federal Gold Medal plastic hulls. I start with a fresh, once fired hull and always keep using the same brand of primer that I started with in the particular hull. No problems after tens of thousands of reloads.

I load 1 oz of 8's in the STS hull with 16.5 grains of E3 and 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2's in the Federal hull with 19.5 grains of Green Dot. I use Remington TGT12S wads in the STS hull and Claybuster 12S3 clone wads in the Federal hull. Each load shoots very well.

I really like the Cheddites because they are flat and shiny while the Nobel Sport primers are also flat and are almost as shiny.

The Cheddite primers in particular being flat and shiny look like the old Winchester primers of the 1980's.

I like shiny things.

Ed Ward

15. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Saving 16 bucks on 5000 primers and probably shooting a 5-figure gun and driving a 50 grand SUV to shoots. Yep, makes sense...

16. razor

razor TS Member

pull & mark i just was giving him a little dig from his other thread about rare steaks. 212,000 cheddites so far no problems. sorry s.smoke grind em up, razor

17. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

razor, LOL. I know about the other thread. Also knew that Steve wishes he didn't start it as well. It has turned into one of the biggest of the year so far. LOL. Pick a primer as both will serve you well. Break-em all. Jeff

18. Baber

Baber TS Member

Have had problems with Chedite primers piercing. Will not use them. Have loaded 75k+ of Noblesport with zero problems.

Tb

19. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Can't be certain but the only bloopers and light sounding shells I ever had were with Nobels in cold weather (upstate NY winter). Had no trouble with Fiocchi 616

I do know that a inconsistent or a weak primer has a big effect on shell performance

Another story on that later if wanted

20. rdf59

rdf59 Member

Over 20,000 Nobelsport in STS, Fed, Estates and AA. No problems, no FF's, no bloopers. I think they are great. I just don't try to use WIN 209's after enlarging the hole slightly with the Noblesports. They do insert easily in my MEC 650 and my MEC 9000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

are cheddite 209 primers the same size as nobel sport 209 primers

cheddite primers
cheddite vs nsi primers
green dot and noble sport primers
nobel primer burn through
nobel sport shotshells in cold weather
nobil sports 410
nobil sports 410 shells