1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nobel Sport Primers information

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AJ-K80, Jun 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJ-K80

AJ-K80 Member

Midway USA has Nobel Sport primers for sale. I have not use them and asking for information. Any pros and cons about those primers. I shoot 1 oz loads at 1200 fps.

Al

2. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

They go in a little hard. I have the spring loaded primer seating ram on my Hornady 366 and sometimes they seat with a loud snap. Other than that they are fine.

Jim Skeel

3. sixten38

sixten38 Member

I have loaded thousands of NS primers in 12/20/28/410 with the following learnings, in 12 and 20 they are interchangeable with win209 primers. You can load em with NS one time and win209 next no problem. 28/410 is a different story, once you go NS you cannot go back to Win209, the win209 primers will "climb out" of a primer pocket that a NS primer has been in. And the old Win AA 410 hulls will spit out the NS primers even the 1x fired ones. So to recap, 12 and 20 gauge no problem use win209 and NS209 interchangeably. For 28/410 care needs to be exercised as once you use NS in 28/410 you cannot go reliably back to win209 primers in those hulls. This experience is based on using a Spolar loader.

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Al, Please don't use them!!! They are terrible primers, go in hard, and you can't go back to Win's. Please everyone out there should not use them!!! You might drive the price up. Break-em all. Jeff

5. napawino

napawino TS Supporters TS Supporters

I use Nobel Sport Primers in .410, 20 and 12. I load on Hornady 366s for the 12 and 20 and a MEC Grabber for the .410. I have experienced zero problems with the primers or reloading the shells again after using the Nobel Sport. I load AA hulls for all three gauges.
    Fred Wiedemann-napawino

6. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

Nobel primers definitely enlarged the primer pockets of my STS/Nitro hulls. I could not use Winchester 209's in hulls that were previously primed with Nobels. The Nobels seemed to be more square on the end that slips into the primer pocket of the hull. Winchester and Remington primers are more rounded on the end, which allows them to slip in more easily without enlarging the primer pocket. The flash hole covers were missing in quite a few Nobel primers. I had a lot of odd sounding shells with Nobel primers. I won't use them again even if they are lower in price. Bob

7. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

I've used many, many thousands of Nobel Sport primers with not one single problem. They do seem to slightly enlarge the primer pocket but as long as you continue to use Nobel Sport primers in these hulls you're good to go.
    Don't switch back & forth on primers. At $22.00 per thousand, tax included,
    I gotta use them. JMO Colonel

8. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I used 5,000 of them in old style Winchester AA cases and I do think they may have enlarged to primer holes a bit, but I could still seat Winchester primers in them again.

9. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I have used somewhere over 25,000 Noblesports without any problems. I don’t know if they enlarge the primer pocket but could care less because there is no way I am going back to the ridiculously overpriced AA/Rem’s.

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

They have two drawbacks. They make your hulls useless for any other primer and in cold weather you will get some fail to fires and some light fires. I tried 5000 and I would not use them again if they were free. There has been many comments about cold weather and enlarged primer holes in previous post's

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Got a few FTF's with them, but overall they worked fine.

Hodgdon says to use Win209 data for them.

12. wanderer

wanderer Member

There appears to be a difference between early NS primers, and late issue primers. The early issue were similar to Win 209's. The later issue, are larger, including the flange. The flange on late issue NS is sometimes as much as .005th larger than Win 209's. Using a Spolar, with late issue NS, results in a total mess. The larger flange NS will usually drop into the primer seating stand. However when is doesn't, and only goes half way into the primer seating stand, the machine locks up and is a large problem to get going again. When using these primers, have to watch each primer drop from primer ram, into primer seating stand, and usually have to push, manually, primer down into the seating stand.

If you have access to both early and late issue primers, mic the difference in the flange. G.E.G.

13. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

I have loaded probley 8000 of them and very little problems if any. for 12 gauge they are the only primer I use and no problems. 20 gauge i use the remingtin nad or winchester for the first 2 reloads and then switch to nobles, they do make the primer pocket bigger. I also do the same thing for 28 gauge.

they do go in hard sometimes for the first reload, but no real problems. I use a mec size master whicj is a single stage loader.

bottom line they are a good primer for the money.

14. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

30,000 ,no problems other than some flash hole covers missing. Jeff

15. Baber

Baber TS Member

Have loaded 50k+ of them. They are great. They are larger but I am loading european hulls that need the larger size. The best kept secret is the Noble Sport hull. I use their primer and wad and their data and it makes a great load.... better that the AA in my opinion. Oh crap i let the cat out of the bag...

TB

16. markostrunk

markostrunk Member

I've gone through about 15K of the NS. Quality control is a little iffy. The depth at which the anvil is set can vary a little. On a gun with a strong, full length firing pin, no problem. On a gun with a worn firing pin, you will get the occasional failure to fire that you wont get with Win, Rem, Fed, Fiocchi or Cheddite.

17. hreinke

hreinke TS Member

I'm on my 3rd 5000 and am having a failure to fire if the hull pocket is to deep, the primer goes in to far, I mean .005 and I get a dimple in the primer but it doesn't fire. So I put the shell in my top barrel and it generally will go off. I just carry extra bottom barrel firing pins for my Browning XT.

18. labman1

labman1 TS Member

I have used them for10 years now and between usung them for my self and loading for othersI have reloaded about 1000,000 of them easy,yes yes i have seen the covers missing over the primer and yes they go in harder the first time .My solution is to just reload using a certain amount of shells and usung them up before i reload again that way if some reason i do not want to use them again i can just finish up with the ones i have started and then switch. I never expect that to happen because the cost and the results from using them in all four gauges does not warrant be switchinh nor or never

19. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The longer new XT firing pins do such a good job correcting the failure-to-fire problem that my XTs now punch holes in the all euro primers: Cheddite, Rio, Nobel and Fiocchi.

I'm convinced that the problem stems from the metal used for the primer cups. The cups in Winchester, Federal and CCI primers have a clean dimple in them after firing; the metal around the dimple stays where it was. The cups in the euro primers don't seem stretch as well so the firing pins punches through the bottom of the dimple and gets its end burned. A couple of those and the pin has to be either removed and dressed or replaced. Either way, it quickly became more of a PITA than the savings on primers is worth.

If your XT doesn't punch holes in euro primers, I'm happy for you. Mine do so I don't use or recommend any of them.

MK

20. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

AJ-K80: Use the Rio Primers, same price and less problems w FTF I have never had a DUD Rio Primer, but just like the Nobel Sports once you use them you have to stay with them as Rem and Win primers will fall out of the case.

At $100 per 5,000 price is right.

I have loaded tens of thousands of the RIO primers.

Fiochi were the worst primer I ever loaded to many DUDS got rid of them and won't load them again.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

nobel primers for sale

nobel sport primers