1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nobel Sport primers in cold weather?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bolt-action, Jul 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bolt-action

bolt-action TS Member

Has anyone had experience with Nobel Sport primers in cold weather? Especially with handicap loads of Green Dot powder? How is the performance and consistency?

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Don't go there... Federal Federal Federal

3. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I used them with 19.8 gr green dot and 1 1/8 ounce of shot with good results. I hope I can find a bunch at state shoot.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Listen to Perrazzibigbore. Federals are the way to go. Now in answer to your question. Yes I bought 5000 and they did fail to fire in cold weather ( about 2-3 out of a 100) They also gave a very soft load almost a blooper in cold weather. They will also enlarge your hull primer hole rendering it useless for any other primer. My opinion of Nobels is that if they were free I would not use them again

5. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

A NO-NO for cold weather! Too many stories of PPP (piss poor performance) in cold weather to convince me to use them. OK in hot weather for load once then throw away loads.

AndyH ;-)

6. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

no trouble here,

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

How cold are we talking about..45 degrees or less.. You'll either listen.. or learn.. Yes.. they shoot fine in warm weather..and I load and shoot them.. But cold weather..I learned.. and you've had your question answered.. You might give a call to Kevin..at Downrange.. He's a expert in the field and will fill you in on Fiocchi's and Nobels from a full data point of view..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.