1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nobel Sport Primers and Flames?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jerbear, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

I just started using the Nobel Sport 209 primers with clays powder and have noticed that after ignition I get a flame from the shell. I'm shooting a Beretta 391 Trap and even the t$S shell catcher is heating up. I can smell the plastic burn.

Anyone experience this in their semi-auto? O/U's, is hard to tell if there is a flame because I have not seen it when I shoot the same shells out of mine.
    I have cleaned my reloader a PW 900 Elite and there is no powder in the shot container. I had no problems with the Win209's but at $18.75 a 1000 for the NS primers, I hate to stop using them. Around here Win 209's run $30.00+ a 1000.

Jerbear

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have seen a lot of this with factory fodder. You might try to deepen the crimp a little, and maybe use a little more wad pressure.

Since factory fodder will do this, it seems it not really a problem. I have seen some Remmy black field loads look like trick photography in near dusk light.

Domestic primer makers have lost their mind!

3. abiezer

abiezer Guest

Nobel sports are probably not real hot.
    Rem 209 Primers can do this as well,as they're a bit cool.
    Your best bet is to either use a warmer primer,
    or mess around with other powders, perhaps E3.
    other than that,it'll probably be flame on....
    Looks pretty cool under the lights at night,especially
    to the guy behind the gun.
    You can shoot these loads in a break action gun forever,
    and you'll never notice a thing of course.

4. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Yea I have shot Remingtons black loads and flames as well. I'm not sure how to deepen the primer in a PW loader but maybe i'll call Jim and see what he says.
    It's a lite load, 18g Clays,1oz either #7 1/2 or 8's whatever I can get at a good price at the time and Downrange XL-1 wads with Remington hulls. There is no difference if they are Gun Clubs or STS's or Nitros, even the black hulls, I have the same issue. My reloader will eat anything I put through it and end up with a factory crimp. Maybe I'll just have to live with it as my O/U is not set up for trap. Thanks Shooting Coach for your help.

Jerbear

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

nobel primer burn through