1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nobel Primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Dec 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Ditto. This has been said many times here and it is all true

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

I have loaded 40k+ of these primers without problems. I do load them in a European Type hull. Have never had the problems stated in this post. Sometimes things happen when you substitute primers. Also I have found that letting shells cold soak in a garage or car trunk gives funny performance. I live in Florida and thankfully don't have that problem.

These are great primers.

Tom

3. Browning Boy

Browning Boy Member

If you follow any of the threads it states that noble primers can be used for winchester primers not federal. Proably why you are not getting good results.

George Ware

4. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

I started using these primers just a few months ago. I live in North-West Ohio, and our cold weather is really just getting started. This far I've had no ill effects with them. I have been loading them into STS, and AA hulls, with Tight-Group, and Green-Dot powders.

So-far-so-good, but I'll be keeping an open eye as our temp's go south.

Matt Nicol

5. Indyrun

Indyrun Member

I use the Nobel Primer on Federal Paper because they are about 0.002" larger on the O.D. than Federal or Winchester. If you load paper you know the importance of having a larger primer as the primer hole in the paper base loosens. I have never had a problem with them. I load 19 gr. Clay Dot with the PC Red wad and 1 oz. of lead.

6. wanderer

wanderer Member

I have been using these primers for last two years, as they were only primers I could find. Squad members comment on my irregular sounding shells, do not seem to affect score. HOWEVER, am having problems with light hit?? Perazzi, three different triggers, hammer springs strong, firing pins good shape, and firing pins moving freely in firing pin holes. Three different guns. Only solved problem by going to new hammer springs, which seems only marginally stronger than springs which they replaced. Any others having these problems?? G.E.G.

7. Erik W

Erik W Member

I have shot a lot of them. Cold weather is a problem for NS, otherwise a decent cheap warm weather alternative. Shooting up some warm weather loads on a cold day last week and had a "hang fire" with NS primer. Had actually lowered gun a few inches when it went off. Time to put them away until spring.

8. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

How do they work with slow burning powders, and at what temp can one expect to see performance problems?

9. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Good question Wireguy!We need to be aware of the Temperature issues! People never seem to say at what temp. they start having problems with powders or primers!Not everyone lives in these COLD climates! I load these primers here in Kalifornia and have had zero problems so far.PJ

10. psfive

psfive Member

I load them in everthing I'm in Nebraska and it gets cold here. I do not know of any problems we have ever had with them. We have shot in some pretty cold air, 20 degrees or so. Cold enough that when we were done and no one had frostbite we were happy. I also do not leave shells to cold soak in the car trunk for hours on end. Paul

11. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Had the same problem with my Nobel Sport primers and 17.8 gr of Promo when the temperature turned cold. When I wnet to 19.5 gr of powder, the problem went away. jm

12. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

nobles are the only primers i have been using for the last year. remington hulls with green dot powder.

been using them in the new york winters...no problems.....don't let them sit in the car before using them(the shells). it could be the powder was cold...remmeber that ever drop or rise in 10 degree's in temp with drop or raise you pressure in the shells by 1000psi.

13. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I've started shooting Nobelsport shells, the LR 1200 FPS 1oz # 8 & 81/2--great shell for singles & shorter caps. No failures & its a pleasure not to chase hulls anymore. Nobelsort primers work.

Phil Berkowitz

14. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

Off sounding shells in cool/cold (20 deg or less) weather, miss fires in 10-12 different guns (primer pan was too hard and the guns weren't hitting them hard enough to make them fire) and they were oversized, which ruins the hulls in my oppinion. I bought the sleeve I had 2 years ago for around $80 and I wish I had spent a few more dollars and bought Chedites or Wolfs

pumpgunner

15. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Bought a thousand a couple years ago. Loaded some AAs with them. Shot them. Seemed hot. Cut the charge a grain and a half and they shot well, in the summer. When I went to reload the AAs with WW209s, they, the primers, fell back out. Made sure after that that I used them in shells on their last loading.

Lately, here in IL, I found some Dianas, which, I believe, have Nobel primers, sounding funky (factory loads on thirty degree days). Some sound right, some sound like half loads. Not good in an Annie or Buddy shoot.

Anyone else had problems with Dianas or Kemens in cold weather?

16. skeet100

skeet100 Member

My first 5000 were mostly in 20 loads...not a problem but most all were shot in summer...

My current 12 loads are just a simple STS and Clays powder....not one issue this past summer but now thats it's cold I have got an odd sound or two..

I had this happen the other day and racked my brain trying to figure out how, what, when and why it was happening...I think I know now...When you rule out every other issue it has to be the primer.

Oh and on one of my odd sounding loads it killed the live bird I was hunting...just got looks from my hunting partner. I may go back to Win primers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.