Trapshooters Forum banner

nobel primers help

4K views 27 replies 27 participants last post by  Quack Shot 
#1 ·
Before I get all the bullshit, does anyone have good experience with the nobel primers. The vendor told me that I would get some "hollow, weak off sounding" shells but I wanted to try at the price! So far, using gun clubs, 16 nitro 100, wjII wads, and one ounce of shot, I get a lot of "weak sounding" shells. I then tried 17 promo with otherwise the same, and although I got fewer, I still had a high percentage of weak shells! Next, I am trying a tgt wad with promo to see if I get a better seal! Does anyone have another idea or success using this primer. P.S. Maybe they just are not much good in cool weather? Thanks, Tom Rhoads

#5 ·
Only time I had this problem. I wasn't putting enough powder in to get a good clean burn. I stay away from the lower end of the loading info. Added powder cause I had room according to the book. I think I went from 16.3 gr. of clays to 17 grains Winchester 1 ounce wad Winchester aa hulls all cleared up. Never had a issue with my game shells with them. I've used around 40,000 of them now.

#11 ·
I used 5000 Nobel Sport primers with 1oz loads, Red Dot, and Winchester or Claybuster wads in Remington hulls. I had repeated off sounding loads. The problem was much worse in cold weather, but sometimes occurred in warm weather. I increased the powder charge, and it helped but did not eliminate the problem. Curly over on the reloading forum on ShotgunWorld had Nobel Sport loads tested and reported high variability in velocity and pressure. Note also that the Nobel Sports are oversize and you may not be able to use your cases for Winchester/CCI/Federal primers once you load the Nobel Sport. In the end the savings were not worth the hassle for me.

#12 ·
I have had weak sounding nobels only when shooting in very cold temperatures, 10 degrees, and using low pressure loads. Targets broke but I wouldnt get a clean burn and barrels very dirty afterwards. I increased powder and the problem went away. Warmer weather I have not had the problem.

#13 ·
They will enlarge the primer pocket so don't try and switch back to a Win 209 after using thr Nobel primer! Also I have had problems with the firing pins on a couple of guns not setting the primer off. It makes a small indentation but not enough to set it off. I have read that this is because of the metal being either thicker or harder on the primer face.

#17 ·
Over the last seven years, I have used 10's of 1000's of NS primers in cold and hot weather, using Promo, 700X, Green Dot, Red Dot, Herco, Unique, and Universal; never a problem, never a FTF. The only time they sounded light was when I screwed up on the powder drops.

John

#19 ·
It seems that as long as I keep the pressure up around 8,500 or more they work fine in all weather. Get the pressure down around 7,500 and they only work well with the summer temps. I define work as no 'off' sounding shells. I have used them with International Clays, Red Dot, E3 and Promo. I did use the claybuster Windjammer wads but to keep the pressure up have switched to the CB1100.

A side not but my daughter broke a 99 about two weeks ago with 17 Grains E3, 1 ounce of 8's, CB1100 wad and a Remington hull.

Todd

#21 ·
I loaded thirty thousand of them over a three year period. I am a chronograph nut and very quickly came to one conclusion; to get to the same fps with the Nobles that you get with your ww's or your feds, you must use a half a grain more of powder. I tried it with three different powders and it always came up the same, ie, it takes more powder to get the same results. Your mileage may vary!

#22 ·
Keep one thing in mind when using these primers versus say a Winchester 209. They are not made in America (Italy) and their sizes and quality requirements are not the same as US manufacturers.

These NS primers are out of round (oval shaped) and are slightly larger on the diameter versus a Win 209. If you have shells that you are reloading with NS primers, remember to keep these separate from any you might want to use for Win 209 primers. Because once you use the NS primer, the hole in the shell will be larger than a Win 209 and the primer will fall out.

Kevin

#23 ·

The first two shells (left to right) are loaded with Noble sport 209 primers, The last is a Win209. The first primer was fired in a 391 and resulted in a FTF. The second shell was fired in a 687 and though the primer strike was small, it fired with no problems. The last win 209 primer was fired in the 391 and went off like planned. Like others have said the NS's are hard. With that said, I like the NS's, I live in Texas and cold temps are not a issue for me here. I load for the 687 nearly exclusively with NB's. I just know to use Win209's in the 391. One added note, Federal Top Guns do the exact same thing in my 391. FTF rates vary from 1 to 10 to 1 in 20.

Hope this helps,
Daniel

#25 ·
This is my opinion and just that ( an opinion) I bought 5,000, loaded up a few hundred and ended up giving them away. They were not reliable in cold weather and they swell the hole in your hull making it useless for a Win, Rem or fed primer. If Nobels were the only thing available to buy, I would likely quit shooting until something else became available. Try the wolfs, a very good primer and reasonable. ( I don't shoot wolfs but have friends that do) I will stick with federals and CCI mags. I am in this game for enjoyment not to save a lot of $$

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.