1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nobel primers & cold weather

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Nov 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Everytime it gets cold, my shells seem very light and slower than normal. If I use federal primers it is ok but the ones loaded with Nobel primers seem to be the problem. Has anyone experienced this also??

2. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

What temps are you talking about, please?

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

I would seem that the Nobel primers are not as hot as the Federals. At low temperatures all powders burn a bit slower, some more than others, and a hotter primer can compensate for this.

Pat Ireland

4. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I have had the same trouble...when I began playing around with NobleSpt. primers it took about 1.5 grains more of powder to equal the same velocity as my Remington STS primer loads.

I have about 1200 NS primers left that I would sell if someone locally (Grant Co. Indiana) wants them. 15.00 for all.

Bryan

5. shubble72

shubble72 TS Member

Ill take the 1200 nobel primers just shoot me a email.
    Thanks
    Scott

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I am talking anywhere under 35 degress, not all that cold but last year when it was in the teens it happened even more

7. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

Here in Western NY we have cold winters. There have been 'bloopers' and off sounding shells experienced by many. When the temp goes below 40 degrees, I do not keep shells in my truck, but rather keep them inside until it is time to shoot. In other words, keep the shells warm and you will have no more weak sounding shells.

Chris

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I bought a 5K of Fiocchi primers but I will never buy them again as I don't like weak sounding loads.

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I've had some problems with them as well. It seems to me if I keep the pressures up to the higher end they work very well. If the pressures are at the lower end of PSI end they seem weak. Even in nicer weather. Maybe its just my loads. How many of you are loading on the low end of pressure like in the low 8,000's to 8,300 range. If I keep on the upper end of pressure over 9,300 or so seem to work OK. Does anyone else out there notice this as well??? Maybe this might be a key to the problem!!! Break-em all. Jeff

10. CMT605

CMT605 TS Member

I just got home from a shoot and had loads with noblesport primers in them. The temp outside is 32. I use a load that is around 10,000 psi and every shell I shot was fine. I couldn't tell any difference at all from 32 degrees to 90 degrees.

Mike

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jeff- Many powders do not burn consistently at low chamber pressures. Low chamber pressure does not directly relate to low recoil. Look for a good powder/shot load that has higher pressure and the same velocity as you low pressure load.

Remember, all loads in a good reloading manual are safe, but they might not be very good.

Pat Ireland

12. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

CC2000, there are many reasons why loads can sound bad unrelated to the primers. Candidates are straight-walled cases (Estate and Federal, for example) and wads intended for tapered hulls when one-ounce shells are loaded. These are always a bad idea, based on my and trap4ever's testing.

Powder can be a concern. If anything is going to work, it's Red Dot. Pair that powder with Federal 209A primers and matching hull/wad choices and your troubles will go away.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.