1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Nobel & Cheddite primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by redbone99, Feb 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redbone99

redbone99 Member

Has anyone had experience with the Nobel Sport and Ceddite primers good or bad.Thanks,Dave

2. DanLee

DanLee Member

Nobel Sports can be substituted for Winchesters. No experience with Cheddites. I notice the NS primers are harder than American primers and the primer indents are not as deep. That might be a concern if your firing pin springs aren't up to snuff.

3. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Never used Nobel primers. I've been told that they and Fiocchi primers are slightly larger then American made primers, thus causing loose pockets in the hull.

I've been using Cheddites and Winchester 209 primers interchangeably for some time now, can't see any difference between the two. Oh, except for the fact that the only two duds I've had all year were both Win 209's. Go figure.

4. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Stick to the Cheds. They are at times a few bucks more but they don't enlarge the primer pockets. Cheds can be had at Connies components, Graf and Son, and Recobs supply for good prices. Gamaleils has sold the Nobles for as little as 105.00 per 5000. I'd use them for shells that have seen they're last reload. Jim

5. wanderer

wanderer Member

Have loaded several thousand noble sports. Then are extemely hard. Have put new hammer springs and firing pins in two Perazzi's and still having 2-3 failure to fire per hundred. when those shells are rotated in chamber and hit again, they fire. Most problem ever had with reloaded shells.

Have loaded many thousands of cheddite's and had no problem. Will go back to them when they are again available. G.E.G.

6. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I currently use both,The Nobels are larger in diameter so you need to use them in the same hull.I load them in my old style AA;s only so I won't have an accident and mix them up.They work great.

Now the Cheddites work great in my BT-99 and my XT but in my 3200 the firing pin won't set them off every once in a while.I used them in my K-80 and had some miss fires also.I would go with the Nobels and stick with those if it were me.They are a little cheaper also.

7. dimapower

dimapower Member

15K Nobel sport primers in AA and Rem hulls with no issues. don't have any issues interchanging them with Win 209's either (no hole enlargement).

8. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

I have been using Nobel Sport primers at the 12K loaded mark never a miss fire or issue, been told they are larger than 209 Wins and they do measure bigger by about .003 of an inch. does it enlarge the pocket I dont know I did not try any Wins after using Nobel. My take is who cares if it does make the pocket bigger, if your using Nobels all the time. They are readily available here in Illinois so I dont worry about it

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've used over 100,000 cheddites for a good many years. They've been my go to primer if Winchesters are unavailable or priced out of reach. I've used them in autos and break open guns, in AA and STS hulls, and on 2 different MECs. I've treated them as interchangeable with Winchesters in any and all recipes I've followed or interpolated from. Zero problems with Cheddites. ... breakemall....Bob Dodd

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

What about all the posts claiming the Cheddite primers were damaging firing pins? Were those bogus claims?

BDodd, any issues?

11. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

No, they're not bogus and I have the burned-up Browning firing pins to prove it!

MK

12. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

I think its the other way around...reportedly, certain firing pins may oierce the cheddite primer. K-80 is the model most ofter cited. Most firing pins engage the primer at an oblique angle. Apparently the K-80 and perhaps some others engage it squarely. Haven't heard of many current issues. Perhaps this is one of those "old" rumors that has lost its currency. I use Cheddites extensively and have had no problems in Ljutics, Kolars or Guerinis.

WNCRob

13. GeezerGlide

GeezerGlide TS Member

I have a friend/trapshooter older gent who dabbles in reloading has problems opening his krieg. Upon examination the firing pin (barrel off,fired position,) is protruding .070 . Fires most factory loads OK, we have about come to the conclusion Ched's are probably a tad thinner, as it pierces almost everyone. Has done it long enough the flame travel has made the end of the firing pin look pretty bad. Think he's gonna let his Krieg-gru in San Antonio check it.
    Jim

14. missemucho

missemucho Member

Cheddites are fine but Wolf is the best of the cheaper primers if you can still find them. Someone asked about them a while back and I said better buy all you can at the present price ($85/5k). Should have taken my own advice!
    John

15. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

Cheddites work fine for me in my 3200. Cheddites are all I use now.

16. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

5000+ no problem noble sport
    Railroad

17. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

There are some Cheddite haters out there,but I`m not one of `em. That`s all I use for my 12ga. loads.

I`ve shot 6k plus in newer and older 1100`s,BT99`s, and my Citori with zero problems.

Never used Nobels,so can`t comment on that.

Regards, Pete

18. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

I have shot about 25000 cheddites and never had a problem. I have seen people shoot brand new Kemen shells and have their firing pin pierce everyone of them. So some guns do better than others.

19. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I shoot ched's for about 2yrs now. Only problem I've had are with the pumps and sometime the auto's. But in my singles no problem. I think the primers are harder on the ched's. If I have a misfire with a pump or auto I take the shell out rotate it and put it back in and bang it goes off. Nobles can't say. Never used them.

20. nipper

nipper TS Member

cheddite primers are why underrated imo

bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

use of cheddite after nobel