1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

No wonder there's an ammo shortage

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shootinghero, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shootinghero

shootinghero TS Member

No wonder there

The Department Of Homeland Security Is Buying 450 Million New Bullets

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and its Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) office is getting an "indefinite delivery" of an "indefinite quantity" of .40 caliber bullets from defense contractor ATK.

U.S. agents will receive a maximum of 450 million rounds over five years, according to a press release on the deal.

The high performance HST bullets are designed for law enforcement and ATK says they offer "optimum penetration for terminal performance."

This refers to the the bullet's hollow-point tip that passes through barriers without getting warped out of shape.

We've also learned that the Department has an open bid for a stockpile of rifle ammo. Listed on the federal business opportunities network, they're looking for up to 175 million rounds of .223 caliber ammo to be exact. The 223 is almost exactly the same round used by NATO forces, the 5.56 x 45mm.

The deadline for earlier this month was extended because the right contractor just hadn't come along.

Looks like the Department of Homeland Security means business.

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

My buddy is in the planning stages of buying an AR15. Primarily because his buddy, who works for US Border Patrol, can get unlimited amounts of .223 ammo, and plans to share it with his friends. Our tax dollars at work...

3. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Personally I don't know any rifle shooter who doesn't have an AR. :)

4. Traders

Traders Well-Known Member

skeet man---Does this mean that the US Boarder Patrol has authorized your buddy to give US government property to his friends or is he just stealing it.

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

No clue. Just reporting what I was told last Sunday. However, I doubt the border patrol intends to freely hand out ammo to employees friends LOL

6. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Re: US Border Patrol, can get unlimited amounts of .223 ammo

Its called theft...

7. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I would personally like to see that buddy get all the ammo for free then go to the Newspapers with evidence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! See some friggin cut backs and disiplinary action then!

Jerry Lewis

8. Traders

skeet man,

My guess is that your buddy know that his buddy is stealing ammo from the Border Patrol and he is taking advantage of the fact that the Border Patrol is assuming its agents are honest. It's guys like your buddy that cost us, the taxpayer, millions of dollars not just in "lost" property but in the additional paperwork that becomes necessary to keep track of stuff.

By the way, I have a buddy that has some Rolex watches that he can let go for a good price. Seems they fell off a truck and he doesn't have any way to return them. Swears he will donate the money to charity. Interested?

9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Gee!

Seeing that he will donate the money to charity, I'll take a dozen.

10. front242

front242 Member

Had a friend in the DEA that used to get ammo all the time. They were only supposed to have it sitting around a limited amount of time. Their shelf life was short. When the time was up, they could take it and shoot it.

F²4²

Tim

11. quartering

quartering Active Member

450 million rounds over 5 years sounded like a lot of ammo to me at first, but it really isn't. that's only 90 million rounds a year divided among 20,000 ICE and 240,000 DHS employees. figure half are secretaries and the other half might carry a gun. that's only 692 rounds per gun per year. it doesn't really leave that much to give away now, does it?

12. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Ammo will be much cheaper when the world continues on 1/1/13

GS

13. InsureGuy

InsureGuy Member

I am dubious at best. Why 450 million rounds, why now ? And why DHS. The .40 is a pistol ammunition and best suited for close quarter, and simple crowd control. I am really seeing things that were once suspected being a reality. The US Governement is prepositioning all the assets needed to exert martial law should they chose. The Defense Appropiation Act virtually assures that this is case. Are we sticking our heads in the sand and ignoring all these signs ? Can someone offer a plausible explanation why DHS has built a building bigger than even the Pentagon and has it's own military. A US citizen can be picked up by the military and held without cause, or representation. No due process what so ever. Mean while, exit stage left are the republicans that cannot seem to get their act together to submit a candidate thats capable of defeating the sitting President.

You dont need to be Nostradomas to figure out that the US is headed toward the edge of a large cliff. 450 million rounds, are you kidding me ? Why dont they spend some time figuring out how we became 15.4 trillion in debt. There is a darkness growing and I am not sure than we can do much about it. This is sad. History has taught us one thing.....Those who fail to understand it, are surely doomed to repeat it.

Jason

Jason

14. Traders

ahab--The Rolex watches are on their way. Please send money by wire to my Nigerian bank. Instructions to follow. There is a full return policy after receipt of the funds.

15. quartering

quartering Active Member

is this, by chance, a 2009 news story?

16. oz

oz Active Member

Is this part of fast and furious? payback?

17. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I bet your buddy is proud of you for ratting him out. What a pal, what a pal. Is he still your buddy? lol

18. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I can't speak for current policy but it used to be that government ammo that was issued out usually could not be taken back into stock. I still have clips of M-16 ammo that I carried "up North" on rescue missions back in the '60s. I tied to turn it in when I returned to the States and was told to keep it. A friend who was an FBI small arms instructor had a lot of left-overs. They usually let members of smaller departments have anything that was left including spent brass. Ron

19. lboh

lboh Member

Bought 600 rounds of .223 yesterday. Dealer told me that he tried to order another 200,000 rounds this week and Federal told him no new orders the rest of the year due to back log.

He said his cost this year is what he was selling them for last year.

Stock up now if you think you need more.....

20. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Hear tell that the Montana prairie dogs are having conniptions over the 223 ammo shortage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.