1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

No-Trophy ATA...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by spitter, May 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Already wearing the body-armor... so fire away!

I got slammed the last time I broached this subject, but reading the challenges that many continue to discuss about the cost of registering targets, how about more clubs - those having some participation issues, cut the fat out of registered events and offer more bare-boned target-only opportunities - and I'm not talking only volume marathons...

Example... if you can offer practice for $4/25 why not offer $16/100 plus fees. So no extra crappers, volunteer scorekeepers, and keep the trinkets.
    For the gamblers, offer the options, but keep the cost of targets within reach.

There may be other ways to make some money at your shoot...

If you're target counts are down, what was working isn't cutting it... and you have to figure out why... If your events are packed at $30/100 keep your pricing right where it is... gas and other expenses are cutting into your target pricing... it is disheartening to hear about folks who have completely stopped their shooting...

regards all,

Jay

2. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

scorers and trap help during practice is usually volunteers and hired help during registered shoots because of the volume of shooters.

But in line with your thinking why couldn't they have targets only for everyone for a reduced price? Maybe a little more than practice to help pay for hired help but not as much as
    targets with trophies or other rewards for high scores.

3. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

You would probably gain 1 shooter and lose 3.

4. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Forest gun club in Wisconsin is already doing what you stated. It was $15/100 ATA targets, now I think they raised it to $17/100 this year.

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Not that unusual. I guess it depends on what region you live in.

I attend shoots each year that are target only, with Lewis option and not charging an arm and leg.

I think that is all that Kayaderosseras in Ballston Spa, NY (next to the county airport) is all they offer for there warm weather shoots. 5 or 6 a year.

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Turn Registered trap into expensive practice-we're already there. The ATA is unwilling to admit our numbers are plummeting but still believe high priced practice registered targets are the wave of the future. Peoples perception of value governs their willingness to enter events. $30 targets for a chance at a belt buckle or other trinkets holds little interest.

If cheap targets were the answer Sporting Clays wouldn't have an entry!!

7. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Last year we had two shoots with $18/100 targets and got our biggest turnout.
    The results of our shoots are posted on our website, and Fred Redmon puts
    them on his website: Tarheeltrap.com.

Nobody seems to care much about winning (1) a little money (2) a trophy.
    They do care about recognition by their peers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.