1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

No toe rests at Kids shoot?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bjk1972, Jun 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

Went to the Ohio State shoot to watch my nephew shoot and nose around a little. I asked him where his toe rest was at, he told me that they couldn't be used.I'm just curious whats the reasoning for that? I saw other youths using the magnetic type muzzle rest. Nice to see the next generation out there and the parents as well!

2. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

They are trying to teach the new shooters not to use their toe to rest their gun on. They want them to use a pad on the side.

There have been some people who were to stupid to remove their gun from their toe before they close the gun. They ended up shooting their foot. I do mean they shot their foot.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Here they won't allow it at SCTP shoots but never say a word during regular monthly shoots. We have never had any problem at AIM shoots but i don't know what their policy actually is. We watch our youth shooters closely to insure safety.

There are some people who would drown in a mud puddle. It requires safety. By no means should your gun be loaded and cocked while on your foot. Thats just asking for stupid. For what its worth i use one and never worried about shooting my foot. This sport does involve guns and when complacency is mixed in accidents will happen. Safety is always the factor.

4. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

I have never used one because a friend of mine is missing two toes due to his stupidity. He was hunting though. He picked the gun up with his finger on the trigger and had forgotten to engage the safety. Kaboom. No more big toe. We were in high school when it happened. He is now a police officer. One thing I've learned is sooner or later someone will get "stupid". Not going to be me.

Happy shooting, keep your toes.

5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I don't think you should put a auto or a pump on your toe. But a break open gun I just don't is a big problem.

I put my gun on my toe for over 30 years and not had one problem. I put a shell in the gun while its open. I wait for my turn. I raise the gun close the gun and mount the gun. The gun is close while its pointed down range and or up in the air but never is it closed on my foot. Only a fool would do so.

6. shrek

shrek Active Member

As others have mentioned, it is a safety thing and 4H around here does not allow them either.

7. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Directly from the ATA rule book:

Section I, Safety, Sentence #18, page #18:

"While not prohibited, the practice of resting the muzzle of a shotgun on a shooters toe is ill-advised and is discouraged."

Oddly enough I was re-reading parts of the rule book today and just happened to spot this. Can't recall seeing this before today.

All that money I have invested in toes pads......dang it.

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

So ricocheting pellets off the concrete won't injure anyone?

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

"So ricocheting pellets off the concrete won't injure anyone?" Not nearly as badly as the full force of a 12 gauge discharging directly on the top of your foot.

Personally, I use one of those foam pads with the magnet on them.

I teach hunter ed, and one of the top 3 safe gun handling rules is, don't point your gun at anything you don't want to shoot.

I don't want to shoot my foot, so I don't intentionally point the muzzle of my gun at it.

There are no "exceptions" to that rule such as, its OK if the gun isn't loaded, or its OK if its a break action but not a semi-auto, etc.

Just don't. And I follow that.

You can do what you want. Your mileage may vary.

SCTP and AIM have a rule prohibiting it, and I'm OK with that.

10. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

This is an excellent statement: <blockquote><I>There are some people who would drown in a mud puddle.</I></blockquote>

I see no issue with resting the gun on your toe, but it's always a good policy to never point the gun at anything you don't want to shoot.

11. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

In the Iowa version of the SCTP and our High School league, you cannot rest your gun at all. Not even on the magnetic pads.

12. PerazziMX2000

PerazziMX2000 TS Member

Timb99, SCTP may have a rule against this but AIM goes by the ATA rulebook as quoted above, I do not condone this with pumps or semi-autos...however with a break open gun it is no more dangerous then your shells in your pouch!Also Tom Berry, its funny that at both the Iowa SCTP shoot and the H/S shoot shooters were using the magnetic pads, resting there guns.

13. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

"One thing I've learned is sooner or later someone will get "stupid". Not going to be me" Sure it will. And thinking like that will just speed it up.

14. Traders

Traders Well-Known Member

timb99

Of course you are right on this issue. "don't point your gun at anything you don't want to shoot". The rule make no exceptions for different types of guns. So, if people use toe rests, regardless of the club or ATA rules, they should understand that they are increasing their own risk for little reward.

It's the same circumstance of somebody walking around at a gun club with an open, break-action shotgun on their shoulder and pointed backward. It would be hard to suggest that this is acceptable practice. If you have ever had the experience of walking behind a guy doing it, you will immediately notice how big the barrel opening is.

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Traders

I hate that practice. Drives me nuts, for two reasons:

Even though I know the gun is broken open, I just have a pucker factor when barrels are pointed at me, and the other reason is those people tend to be less than cautious about swinging around and hitting things, like my head, with their gun barrel behind them.

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Maybe some of you need a lighter gun or need to start doing pushups LOL.

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

PerazziMX2000, I was not aware that AIM permitted this practice. I thought the two programs had both outlawed it. My mistake.

We've beaten this dead horse on this forum many, many times. You guys who think its OK will never convince me of that, as I'm sure I will never change your mind and convince you that its an unsafe practice.

For those of you who think its OK to rest your gun on your foot with a break open, but not a pump or a semi-auto....why? What's the difference?

I'll tell you that in my opinion, there is no difference.

Part of the reason is this. Kids emulate the people they admire. They see a Class AA shooter resting their gun on their foot, and for them, that means its OK. After all Leo Campbell IV does it, doesn't he? So they go do it with their pump or semi-auto, and accidentally close the action before the gun is off their foot and...oops...now your name is stumpy.

And yes, people HAVE blown parts of their foot off with break action guns, so it indeed CAN happen. Happened at our club several years back.

But you won't blow your foot off if your gun isn't pointed at it.

Like I said...I know I won't convince you. But I hope you at least think about it. The vast majority of people who see the little magnetic pad for the first time think its a great idea. I think they're right.

18. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

PerazziMX2000, My mistake. I just checked the rules again and it does allow for resting on a pad. Just not the foot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.