1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

No such thing as muscle memory?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wireguy, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

The term "muscle memory" entered the lexicon I don't know how long ago. I think it was used more by handgun shooters than clay target people. Then came the idea that there is no such thing as muscle memory, that all memory is held in the brain cells.

I just watched an old documentary about how people who have undergone major organ transplants have undergone major personality changes that mirror the personalities of the donor. One doctor has a theory that in fact cells in other parts of our bodies are indeed capable of holding memory due to something he calls a feedback circuit between the brain and other body cells.

I have no idea but if it is true then it is all the more true that perfect practice makes perfect.

You can hit the link and look for the episode about personality transplant. Pure conjecture but an interesting topic.

I think they also have an episode about the mystery of 7 1/2's vs 8's and why creatures that live in the spirit realm guide 7 1/2's unerringly to the target while they push 8's out of the pattern.

2. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Wireguy, I certainly can attest to muscle memory. Though not as frequent as in my younger years, the thought of my first intimate relationship with a former girlfriend has been known to trigger a particular physical response.

3. oz

oz Active Member

so call it muscle tuning and get over it. oz

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I've explained it as memory for muscle movement that the brain stores. There is an amount of movement that the brain learns to be normal for a task; when the requirement changes, inaccuracies result. That can prompt a person with no regard to your feelings to shout, "LOST!"

Ed

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Sort of like the left arm flinch Ed? BTW, Where the heck is my Trapshooting USA magazine, did you shoot the pigeon going by that John promised? :) Bob

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Muscle memory seems to be a type of procedural mental memory. I found this:

<blockquote>"Procedural memory is our memory for how to do things. When needed, procedural memories are automatically retrieved and utilized for the execution of the step-by-step procedures involved in both cognitive and motor skills; from tying shoes to flying an airplane. This process occurs without the need for conscious control or attention. Procedural memory is a type of long-term memory and more specifically a type of implicit memory."</blockquote>

Explains it well enough for me.

MK

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Every time I shoot my Model 21 with heavy loads my neck muscles remind me the next morning to not do that. Isn't that "Muscle Memory"?

8. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

It's true, sometimes when I drive there's that 1Hr of blank & foggy stuff but yet I'm where I wanted to be when I park! and every time I run a 100 or 200 it's like how did this happen? OH well sh*ts?????wait what are we talking about. "slid"

9. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

pretty wild comparisons, but muscle memory does work. Anytime anyone has had a major surgery there are lots of life changing issues that come into play, foremost is a eye opening look at your own mortality, and just how close have you come to not being alive anymore, secondly you thank God for the success of the operation and for the skills of the surgical team and all things that made it successful,thirdly the effect of being under anesthesia for an extended time affects the brains in all sort of different ways, fourth, the emotional trauma of recovery, enduring the pain after the surgery and living with the knowledge you'll never be the same, your body has been altered and your life has been altered.Make the most of it, lots of people don't ever get the chance.

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

"I've explained it as memory for muscle movement that the brain stores. There is an amount of movement that the brain learns to be normal for a task; when the requirement changes, inaccuracies result. That can prompt a person with no regard to your feelings to shout, "LOST!""

Ed

The quickest way of understanding this muscle memory thing is shooting with a bad back and neck. The muscles will stop doing what you've trained them to do at times, real quick! At that time you'll hear the non-understanding person yell the lost word fairly frequent as Ed says. :)

Hap

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Is the brain a muscle?

12. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I am not a neurosugeon, but I am a former golf coach, and I can assure you that there IS such a thing as muscle memory. There are also scientific visualization experiments that prove that perfect practice more likely produces perfect performance. Jack

13. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Muscle Memory is just a term. The bio-mechanics involved in how it actually works are irrelevant. The only thing that matters is what it does for you. It allows you to move in a particular way without conscience thought. This is a good thing when reacting to a fast target.

Perfect Practice makes Perfect is the right way to say it. Imperfect practice will only result in re-enforcing bad habits and make you more frustrated.

14. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

My muscles are good a forgetting...they don't remember bugger-all....

15. FS11

FS11 TS Member

OMG! No the brain isn't a muscle!! It's the brain!

16. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

I had hernia surgery on Dec 9 th. and never picked the gun up until Jan. 1 st. I shot two shoots, one Jan 2 nd. 100 targets and 50 targets a week later.

I did about 1000 moves on my Wall Chart and went to Florida for the Hall of Fame Shoot and the Dixie Grand. I won 7 trophies and a shotgun
    in the 9 days of shooting. I shot a 97 in the first handicap from 27 yards without any practice. Got in a shootoff twice with some of the best pro's in the country.

The muscle memory from all those moves on the chart was there in the real event. There was a foot of snow in my yard when I left and 3 feet now, talent never got those scores hard work did. The smooth move from picking the gun up every day and working on the chart for 18 straight days was there in all events the from the first weekend on.

Yes muscle memory is real.

Terry.

17. RAScott

RAScott Member

Terry nice shooting at the dixie. Bob S

18. porky

porky TS Member

Muscle memory?? Does that kick in when you see a car,truck, babe or anything else appealing??

19. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

"Muscle memory", when you can get those muscles to work like they used to, is a term that rings true for me in a couple of ways.

1. I was able to start riding (my horse) again after quite a few years off. The sport that I ride is demanding and exacting. I was able to pick it up almost where I left off.

2. And this one is odd: I recently starting lifting and working out again after years of being unable to exercise due to a broken hip. Within a week, the biceps and vastus msucles were popped. I didn't know that could happen, but some of the people at the gym says that happens all of the time...that lifters don't usually lose everything. I don't know if that's true or not, but it worked with me. I'm not a real lifter, but I seriously work out.

20. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Regarding "muscle memory" and "perfect practice," I believe perfect practice is working on the muscle between our ears.

IMHO.

WW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.