1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NO SPEED LIMIT

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ken Brandt, Mar 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ken Brandt

Ken Brandt Active Member

I'm getting cabin fever and I didn't want to hi-jack the other thread on target speed so I thought I would try and pick a fight here. LOL

Why do we need a target speed rule in the first place? What is wrong with letting clubs make their own choice's on how they set targets?

If the grand want's to set 50 yard target's so be it, I don't have a problem with that, but why restrict everyone to this?

KEN

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Uniformity. How can you compare a shooter who shoots at a club that throws targets at 10 MPH vs. one that throws them at 75 MPH?

3. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Are we having a dumbest thread contest?

4. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Cottonelle or Charmin?

5. Ken Brandt

Ken Brandt Active Member

Wow. Only 4 post's before someone has to try and be a comedian. I wonder if they are that insulting in real life.

Rich; I understand the uniformity argument but we don't have uniformity now. I think that was the intention when the current rule was passed but i don't see it working at the small local clubs. I shoot at several different clubs now and the target's vary greatly. Most of the problems come when they throw the target's at the upper end and beyond of the speed limit now suggested. How many times have you heard "I'm never going back until they back off the speed", and they don't go back.

I think Rick Barker says it right when when he stated " you have to weigh the commerce factor vs. the excitement factor". Shouldn't we be looking at this from perspective of ,Is what we are doing making the sport better or worse? Again I ask, Is the speed rule taking us in the right direction or is it making the sport tougher all around and in effect hurting it.

Think about how the sport would change if there was no speed rule.

Oh by the way, I didn't forget about you 22hornet. In your case either will do.

Ken

6. kansasshooter

kansasshooter Member

I don't know. Why are all football fields 100 yards long and why is the free throw line always 15 feet away? Why don't the owners of each stadium or field make up their own rules and distances?
    Travis Crist

7. Herb Roach

Herb Roach Member

Yeah Kansas, and we could throw the targets over you head too. The speed rule was probably brought in because some clubs have a very irregular background, that is there may be gullies or hills. The original rule called for the targets to travel a specific distance, I believe 50 to 52 yards in still air. It would be hard for some clubs to put a distance stake at 50 yards unless they buried it about 10 feet in the ground or it might have to be 75 feet tall, so now you can use a radar gun to set the speed of the targets and forget about the markers. Oh, I forgot, there are also supposed to be angle markers indicated the extreme angles for right and left targets, and also, at one time there was a rule that the target had to be 10 feet in the air, 30 feet from the trap above level ground. Oh the times they are a'changin.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The game you have in mind is sporting clays, not trap. Different presentations and speeds.

9. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Oh by the way, I didn't forget about you 22hornet. In your case either will do.

OUCH!!!

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Since I don't set the targets, I'm a bit ignorant on the subject... however, I thought the rule was EITHER speed or distance to get to the same point...?!

Jay

11. racer

racer TS Member

Charmin please. I make it! Dan

12. 3357

3357 Member

bring back the 3 hole target.........and 1 oz load limits.

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The rule book spells out speed limits for trap loads, why I dunno. The current target height rule says; 8 to 10 feet high 10 yards out. Old rule said; 8 to 12 feet high at the same distance, why that was changed, I dunno. Current rule for distance thrown is 48 to 50 yards, old rule was 48 to 52 yards.

If all these changes were in pursuit of consistency, why isn't the rules enforced that's written in the current ATA rule book? Not only is the height rule violated but the angle rule as well at some clubs.

Hap

14. Kingbang

Kingbang TS Member

To even confuse this more??? The PITA rules state (as I recall).that the target will travel 50-52 yards. If a speed gun is used, whatever the MPH is to reach that distance is the target speed. Not my intent to poke the PITA in the eye here at all. At our club, and Im sure most club that are in areas of high humidity,to get the target to the 50 yard stake requires a 44 MPH target. thats in still air. We usually have a breeze that comes up from north to south or a head wind, that further affects the distance the target flies. Ive had experience more than once, when a shooter would call me over and state the targets were not making the stake. I would put the speed gun on the target for them,the gun would register 43-44 MPH and yes the target is 2 yards short. I would ask if the squad wanted the targets adjusted to make the stake? not once has the answer been yes.
    So its not an easy fix.I swear,sometimes I think we should be shooting this game in cover stadiums, LOL.

Dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.