1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

No semi-autos at the Olympics?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lel4866, Jul 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lel4866

lel4866 Member

So, it seems that there are no semi-autos at the Olympics. Also, I rarely see them at high level trap or skeet events here in the USA. Other than for recoil reasons, why do people use semi-autos for sporting clays then?

2. EEB

EEB Member

The reason they are not used is safety. With a break open gun you can see that it is empty. Semi-autos and pumps are a different matter. I believe that the rules prohibit anything but a break open gun. As far as why they are used for SC? It's some shooters' preference to use them.

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Cost. Even the more expensive autoloaders are cheaper than the cheaper QUALITY (beretta and browning) over/unders.

A vast majority of Olympic class shooters are sponsored by gun/ammo/other companies. Most generally shoot the same or similar model guns from any given mfg. Almost everyone is shooting Beretta or Perazzi, and since Perazzi doesn't make autoloaders, that would leave Beretta. The less well known Beretta shooters are using 682s, while the more prolific ones are using the DT11 now.

Also, semi-autos are not that popular (and in some cases, not legal) in other parts of the world.

The malfunction rules in ISSF events are not nearly as lenient as they are in NSSA skeet, NSCA sporting, or ATA trap either.

If you aren't seeing them at high level skeet events, you're not looking closely enough. A lot of people still shoot the gas gun for 12ga and doubles.

4. skeet_man

ISSF rules permit autoloaders, its just that almost no one uses them.

5. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

two chokes are useful at bunker!

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Aren't the loads for these events lighter than what we typically use here? That would tend to offset some of the recoil reducing properties of the semi-auto, which I feel is its main feature.

7. skeet_man

Brian- They are 24 gram, but they are FAST (1300 to 1400 fps), so recoil isn't that much different from a std 2 3/4 dram 1 1/8oz load.

I do wonder if those shells could reliably function a gas gun though.

8. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Beretta's UGB automatic qualifies for International/Olympic target disciplines as it has a break open barrel, this is the reason it was conceived and brought to market.

There is another break open automatic that predated Beretta's UGB whos name I can't recall at this moment, it is much more expensive and longer in the reciever than the Beretta. The break open barrel requirement is what keeps all of the fixed barrel autos out of international competition unless they've changed the rule since I last looked at them.

Surfer

9. skeet_man

From the most current ISSF rulebook:

9.4.2.1 Types of Guns

All types of smooth – bore shotguns, including semi-automatics,
    may be used provided their caliber does not exceed 12 gauge.
    Guns of smaller than 12 gauge may be used.

10. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Autoloaders are allowed its seems: I do think that some countries require a gun like the UGB (second shell must be visible and the barrel must break - open.

ISSF rule 9.2.2.1 To ensure safety, all shotguns even when empty must be handled
    with maximum care at all times (penalty - possible
    DISQUALIFICATION).
    ? conventional double barrel guns must be carried empty with
    the breech visibly open
    ? semi – automatic guns must be carried with the breech bolt
    visibly open and the muzzle pointed in as safe direction, up
    to the sky or down towards the ground only
    ? shotguns not in use must be placed in a gun

However....we can all agree that autos are not as reliable as break-open guns. So, if you compete at the absolute highest levels would you consider a gun that was ever so slightly less reliable than one that was not?

In double trap that advantage of two chokes is hard to dismiss, would you be willing to give away even the slightest advantage when shooting at that level?

Mark

p.s. I have nothing against autos at all, I shoot a 391 for sporting.

11. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Semi-autos are not durable enough for the amount of shooting they do in Olympic training.

12. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Sponsorship is huge. And what companty wants to put a 1000.00 auto out there for the world to see jam? Autos sell by the millions because of their all around useage. Low priced guns do not need sponsorship in order to sell them. High end guns on the other hand have thrived when put into top shooters hands. Not because they score better with them but because the average shooter falls into the hype and believes their score will only improve based on dollars spent. Another factor is autos are not illegal in the states but in many countries autos are not allowed to be shot. In which case the shooter has to shoot and O/U. A gun is a tool. Some guys think it has to be Snap On and some get the job done as well or better with Stanley. At the end of a shoot i have never heard anyone say the high shooter should shoot a higher priced gun. The winner is the winner.

13. Terry_Maiden

Terry_Maiden TS Member

Not sure about Trap doubles but in International Skeet the higher speed of the target makes the game difficult if you have to wait even an extra second or two for the action to function. Shooting a double I have seen where by the time the second shell has loaded and the bolt closed the second target is already gone! Having both shells loaded and ready to go is a huge advantage for a O/U shooter.

14. Slugo

Slugo Member

I think what is used in these events are guns that are currently popular, world wide. Last year the Zoli Z-Sport seemed to be the darling, prior to that the Blaser F3. Next time we may see the Fabarm XLR5 being used by championship shooters. Who knows...

15. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

I think the ability to choke 2 barrels differntly might play into it.

16. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Two shots in Bunker. One choke! May work for some, but... I'd go with an O/U.

Also, in olympic skeet. May see a change in thinking in use of chokes.

Station 4 is suppose to be moved back three feet after this olympics. Late on the first one on doubles and your going to be chasing the second target. Also, redoing the format and a station or two may be dropped and targets added to 3 and 4. Would have to go back and check what was actually proposed, but close enough.

17. Baber

Baber TS Member

The real reason is reliability and safety. Autos are not as reliable as O/U and they can be downright dangerous on a bunker field especially in some kids hands. They also set off the targets when you snap them closed. I reality they should be banned from bunker trap.

Tom

18. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

Autos are for all us older shooters on fixed income. All you guys making big bucks go for the latest and greatest. I did pick up a Blaser trap that felt good but go back and read first sentence. jim w.

19. crusha

crusha TS Member

When I shot International, it was just too much of a pain in the ass to open the bolt on an autoloader and take the second shell out after every, single bird when you change stations. I did not automatically fire the second shot every time like some do...if I broke it on the first shot, there was nothing left to shoot at & I didn't shoot. It would have been easier I guess to just fire the second shot into the dust cloud and be done with it, but I wasn't that into wasting ammo if I could avoid it.

Ok for skeet maybe, but a royal pain for shooting Int'l. trap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
issf permits autoloader

olympic skeet semi auto