1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NO salute for our troops

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by halfmile, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Mind you now, my daughter is not military minded, but she has 3 kids, 2 in grade school.

She just called me in total outrage over Obama's disrespect in not returning the troops' salute when he walked past them.

I wasn't watching for obvious reasons.

Meaningful change has arrived.

And it won't be easy.

HM

2. peanut gallery

peanut gallery TS Member

what a shame a 1/2 mile i did not mean to hijack your pw thread some of the old pws are bring good money

3. WGB

WGB Member

Before or after he was sworn in?

4. David Knapp

David Knapp TS Member

It is not tradition for the CINC to salute military personnel unless giving the Medal of Honor.

Eisenhower would not salute when giving the Medal of Honor, because he believed he was Civilian not Military. He considered it bad form for a Civilian to salute the Military.

That is what I was always told.

David Knapp

5. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Why would he be saluted before being sworn in?

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I didn't see, as I was not watching the Coronation today. Just got my daughter's impression was all.

HM

7. DocJim

DocJim Member

I am no Obama supporter but is it possible that since he never wore the uniform he is not supposed to return the salute but to aknowledge it in some other manner? I can't ever recall seeing Clinton return a salute either. Of course both Bushs served and saluted. I know that Reagan saluted but don't know if he served. I have never seen film of LBJ or Truman saluting either. Maybe someone who knows the protocol can chime in here.

AJ.

8. howie

howie Member

The military salute because the President in the Commander in Chief. I was in/worked for the Air Force for over 30 years and always objected to the President returning a salute -- the President is a civilian or a member of the uniformed military.

9. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

An article from 2003

To Salute or Not To Salute...

http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/salutes.html

10. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Truman served in the U.S. Army in WWI as an artillery captain.

LBJ was a USN lieutenant in WWII.

Reagan served in the U.S. Army in WWII as a captain, making training films.

Nixon was a Naval officer in WWII.

Carter was a Naval officer during the 1960's.

G.H.W. Bush was a naval aviator during WWII.

G.W. Bush was a Texas ANG fighter pilot.

Obama and Clinton, both lawyers, never served.

When I attended Memorial Day services in 1970, I had the chance to observe President Nixon. He was saluted several times, but never returned them.

Clinton did learn how to salute, and returned salutes on several occasions; noted on television.

Dennis

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

This might shed some light on the salute questions.

Bob Lawless

12. Juno

Juno TS Member

13. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Who's been teaching him, Slick Willie?

14. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Aww.......he's not saluting, he's just shading his eyes from the glare of the sun

15. DocJim

DocJim Member

MkrSLC,

I agree that Eisenhower had an "unimpeachable" character while in office. I just missed being able to vote for him. Often wished I could have. One would have to point out the alleged affair he had with his driver while supreme allied commander however. But, considering the enormous responsibility he had perhaps he should be given a pass on that one...............AJ

16. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

I would have to say that he is putting his thumb to his nose and getting ready to wiggle if fingers at someone.

17. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Most commanders in chief dont salute- and they dont have to

in one way it would be inapropriate for a civilian to be saluting

in another - maybe he should

but in no way is it regarded as disrespect from the soldiers perspective

regards from Iowa

Gene

18. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I served as an officer in the USAF...vietnam era and up to 1980.

I also had the duty to serve during that time as protocol officer for events that included high level civilian office holders.

I do not think that it is necessary, expected, or at all appropriate for a civilian CIC (the President) or any civilian to return a salute or to salute at all except in the highly unusual circumstances of a Medal of Honor award where the President initiates this gesture in his role as CIC.

There are many supposed origins of the modern military salute. Everything from an abreviation of the removal of ones hat in the presence of a superior to the raising of a visor by medieval knights to show their face. To me, the longest related tradition is the showing of the sword hand and that it is empty. This is, to my mind, reserved for men and women who serve under arms. That does not include the President.

You want to criticize Obama...help yourself. Protecting your right to freedom of speech was one of the reasons I served my country. But protection of your right to free speech does not inure you from contempt for your speech if this kind of criticism is the best you can come up with.

Like it or not, he IS your President for the next four years. You may wish to honor that office, no matter the occupant, with at least a small portion of the respect shown by the soldiers who you feel were so maligned.

The fact that we had a peaceful transition of power from one party to another that has such different views, during a period of extreme polarization among the citizens, is testament to the power of respect for our elected offices no matter the occupant. That respect for the office should not be so easily discarded, in my view.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.