1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

No reloads at 08 Grand?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by woodworker, Aug 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodworker

woodworker TS Member

Guy told me this Saturday on the line waiting to shoot. Said he heard it from the shell manufactures. Hope it isn't true.

2. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

The city counsel wanted to ban reloads so they could get more TAX money, but I don't think it's offical.It will come from the ATA IF it happens.Guess they don't realize they get tax from the sale of components sold on the grounds!

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If its 2008, 2009 or whenever sooner or later the practice of reloads at the Grand American will be done away with purely based on economics ... I have little doubt this was not mean't to be a permanent thing when the rule was relaxed to take a little of the cost burden off of the shooters who attend ... I'm not sure if it could be challenged (if shooters could band together) or not but new shells are new shells and shooters should be able to spend their money where ever they feel like (WalMart) as long as they comply once the new shells are mandated again ... I think if the EC is smart they will consider this once the new shell rules are brought back, but I'm betting against it ... The can of worms has been opened and the shooters who are useing reloads or buying new shells at more reasonable prices are not going to like it when that changes back to normal and this can create another reason for many to not attend now that they have had a taste of freedom of choice ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Once we are given something, it becomes difficult to take it back.

Pat Ireland

5. John55

John55 Active Member

I can understand why the use of reloads was implemented, but I'm not sure it helped shoot attendance the past couple of years. If they go back to a new shell only policy, I would hope they'd at least allow us to bring our own.

6. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

shells on the grounds were close to 58.00 per flat and at wally world down the street 54 a flat. great selection at wally world. Both places you had to add tax. Federal papers at wally world 68.00 per flat. Interesting that if you signed up for a wally world credit card, they gave you a gift card worth 20 bucks. take that into consideration and things get cheaper really quick. Just got a flyer that Gander id 4.99 for top guns. Thay is really expensive. Shot at the grand was 38 dollars a bag. Motordoc

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I always say "If Wally World don't have it, you probably won't need it", thats just the way it is, has been, and probably will always be in our lifetime ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. EDGARMCM

EDGARMCM TS Member

Can't blaim the city. The state did not foot the total bill for the complex. The city had to provide the water and sewer facilities including the water tower that is larger than any back in town. The ATA changed the rules to allow shooters to bring shells to the grand just before the grand last year.
    The city had naturally figured on additional sales tax to help pay off the bonds that were used to fund the sewer and water to the site.

I know that all costs are increasing usch as gasoline, factory shells, and reloading components but when the city is on the hook for milliions of dollars can you blame them for wanting to get the taxes to help pay off the debt?

Now flame for defending the city.

9. purina

purina TS Member

Pretty hard to defend a city that just 2 years ago touted a "no-gouge" policy. That lasted for one year as we recently found out. Mobil gasoline in Sparta was 20 cents higher than gas at other local towns. Holiday Inn and Best Western both raised their rates for the shoot.

As for the cheap shells at WalMart, The city had nothing to do with that. All that is WalMart corporate working out a deal with the ammo companies. Those shells were there on consignment, WalMart did not spend a nickel on them. Now the ammo companies will try to force the shells WalMart could not sell on the midwest dealers at the regular (higher) wholesale prices.

Has to make the shell dealers feel great to get their throats cut by WalMart and the ammo companies at the same time. Gamaliel deserves a pat on the back for serving the shooters, because at $58 a flat they did not make much money.

10. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

I hope they do go back to the compulsory shell purchase at the grand. I am in need of some new once fired's and that is where we always got ours by the 10's of thousands until last year.

Jeff

11. PaShooter

PaShooter Member

What I find kind of funny is the shells this year were still cheaper whether buying on the grounds or at Walmart, compared to 2005 when the ATA last required you purchase the shells from them? And the price of a flat of shells has gone up how much the past 2 years?

Paul H
    Imperial, PA

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

13. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

I doubt if I will "have a dog in this fight"...I don't see myself attending another Grand, however...in the interest of sharing thoughts and experiences...I will add this to the discussion: I enjoyed shooting new shells during Grand Week. It was when I pretty much "stocked up" on good empties for the next season. Never bothered me to be required to buy my shells at the Shell House. I guess I just saw it as one part of what made Grand Week special to me.

14. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

We all keep hearing about the big financial losses the ATA has suffered at Sparta, now they are considering adding the extra expense of a shell house, personnel, and let's not forget the famous "shrinkage" that always occurred at Vandalia.....makes no good sense to me....

15. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Let the back stabbing begin. I told you the ATA was going to get greedy again and now it looks like they are starting up again. If they could they would tell you to stay home and send only your money. Thats all they care about. YOUR MONEY.

16. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

At what ive seen and heard, the time I get to go to the grand. It will not be there.

17. rumplestilskin

rumplestilskin TS Member

Shells will be $10 a box, Targets will be $30 a hundred and Gas will be $4.00 a gallon. I'm staying home

18. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

MIA the truth hurts don't it?

19. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

When the Grand rolls around every year it is amusing to me to sit back and read the posts/threads and hear the same old, same old.

"New shells will be required next year", "The winner of the GAH is a sandbagger", "I didn't/won't go because it's not in Ohio", "Illinois is anti-gun", blah, blah, blah.

It just shows me that as a whole, I have NEVER seen a group of bitchers and complainers as trapshooters. You'll NEVER satisfy them completely.

I see at the club level, as I'm sure all you do too. It just magnifies on here and at bigger shoots.

Tim

20. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Give it a break. This is just BS talk and rumor. If and when it is or isn't announced then bitch and whine your heart out. It is amazing that those who don't even go to the grand are absolute authorities on the subject.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.