1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

No potatoes..??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blkcloud, Jun 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Dug 6 potatoes vines yesterday, 1 of them had 1 potato, 1 had 4-5, all about the size of a walnut.. the other 4.. nothing nada zilch.. not even a pea size potatoes.. I have grown potatos for years and years.. never seen this.. any ideas why four of them just had stringy roots? thanks!

2. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Can't comment on potatoes but my garden has all but died. Tomatoes, peppers, squash, cucuzza, cukes, okra, eggplant. From heat I guess. I've grown super gardens for years and this year is definately different. Maybe the heat or all the ferrel animals peeing in my garden daily??? Could also be Aliens as I live in FtWorth.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Did they get buried the proper depth? Did they havce exposure to frost? Flood?

4. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Planted the same way as always, made a "hill" a foot tall and long as the garden, planted 2-3 inches deep.. no flood.. no frost.. ?? The vines are growing and look as good as they ever did..

5. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Potatos are normally pretty easy to grow. I mean EASY. My buddy proved it to me growing some on concrete covered with straw a thick layer of straw. Tons of golf ball sized white potatos.

JK

6. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

With the shortage of bees, might pollenization have failed?

Rollin

7. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

I wonder what you are using for fertilizer,are you using horse manure or mulching with fancy praire hay, both have a chance to contain a herbacide remant that will kill broad leaf plants. John Moore

8. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Rollin.. not the bees.. I have 4 hives about 75 yards away...
    John, you may have hit on something that I didnt think of.. I did spread some granule herbicide and tilled it in to keep down the weeds.. Its made for gardens.. I have done this for the past 2 years without much success..the weeds have always been awful.. this year I doubled up on the herbicide.. I'm wondering if that may be the problem..?? LOL..

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Yoy have found your problem. You gave your potatoes chemo.

10. bocephus

bocephus Member

You made a hill and planted 2 inches deep from the top?

Potatoes grow above the seed potato you planted. Usually potatoes are planted 4 inches below surface of "flat" ground and "hilled" after the plant is well established, this covers the plant where the potatoes form. And yes the hill ends up being about a foot tall.

11. clayshtr

clayshtr Member

If you were using a trifluralin type herbicide that could be your problem.

12. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Same thing to me in Ohio. Planted the same way always did and last year had over a wheelbarrow of nice big potatoes. Dug 6 plants last week and barely got enough for a meal. I think mine was ground got too hard on me. I hoe pretty regular, but with all the rain plants got big and couldn't get up close to plants. Also had a lot of washed soil this year due to many hard and long rains. I hoping the rest of rows are better. I just dug the plants that were turning brown. Nice looking plants just not much potatoe.

13. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Well I haven't dug any yet this year, and after reading this I don't want too. I'm afraid I'll be disappointed.

For the most part my garden has been a bust this year. I've planted and replanted the green beans and sweet corn several times with hardly any luck. The squash seem to get about 2 or 3 inches long then die. It has been a wet year. Tomatoes look so and so, still a couple of weeks away from getting any steady ripe supply though.

The potatoe tops look good but haven't dug to see if anything below. The last few years the potatoes have been small. Years ago my best growing potatoe was the Kennebec type, now it seems the Red potato grows best around here. Who knows. I used to think gardening was one thing I was good at, but now I'm questioning that. I guess everything fades with age. I used to be able to compete in trapshooting too, but not anymore.

Picking plenty of blackberries though.

Good luck on your garden.

14. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I solved that problem by picking all my veggies at the local produce stands.

No spading, raking, planting, weeding, watering, fighting bugs ... just pay the man at one of the stands and eat well!

15. ken a

ken a Member

Did you use real seed potatoes this year? You may know it but regular store potatoes are treated and will not produce well. I learned this the hard way.

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Why... it's Bush's fault LOL.

17. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I would bet it was the potatos used for seed. Been doing it for 50+ years

18. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

I used certified seed potatoes, buy same place each year. I think it was the weather and the amount of water from all the rain. Mine was both kennebec and red pontiac.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.