1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

No parking at gun store

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bisi, Nov 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Yesterday morning I went to my favorite gun store. Got there about 10 in the morning on a Tuesday. The parking lot was full couldn't find a spot, ended up parking across the street in a restaurant lot.

I was at this gun store a couple of weeks before the election. At that time he had a rack full of used Mini-14s, yesterday they were all gone. He still had a few ARs but they had increased in price across the board a good 30-50%. Place was jammed. People weren't looking at shotguns they were all after semi auto rifles and pistols. Ammo clips - forgetaboutit - all gone.

I guess Ojackass is good for someones business, for now.
  2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    An interesting article in the Globe & Mail paper up here in Canada on this subject. Bill Malcolm

Obama win spurs U.S. gun sales boom

From Wednesday's Globe and Mail

November 12, 2008 at 4:12 AM EST

In John McCain's home state of Arizona, the recent economic downturn took its toll on The Don's Sport Shop.

Gun sales at the Scottsdale store slowed to a crawl last month, even as the state's hunting season rolled around. On an average day two weeks ago, shop owner Manny Chee was eking out only $2,000 or $2,500 in gun sales.

"The housing crisis has hit our state pretty hard," he said. "It was kind of like everybody's in limbo."

But Barack Obama is good for business. Last Wednesday, the day after Mr. Obama beat Arizona's own Mr. McCain to become the president-elect, Mr. Chee sold $30,000 worth of guns - mostly the semi-automatics the National Rifle Association claims Mr. Obama's administration will restrict.

"The election came, and now it's just a madhouse in here," said Mr. Chee, 31.

Between Nov. 3 and Nov. 9, the Federal Bureau of Investigation received 374,000 requests for background checks on gun buyers - 49 per cent more than the same time last year, CNN reported.

The NRA believes Mr. Obama would restrict handguns and raise taxes on ammunition, effectively quintupling the cost of bullets.

"Barack Obama would be the most anti-gun president in history - bar none," NRA chief lobbyist Chris Cox wrote in a Washington Post op-ed last month.

It's those allegations that seem to have caught the attention of certain gun owners.

"They're like, 'Hey, maybe I should buy one of these before they become illegal,' " Mr. Chee said, going so far as to add: "If you look in any NRA magazine or you're into guns, you see a lot of bills that are in the works."

The sales spikes are being reported countrywide. In Idaho, the Boise Gun Company has seen its sales jump by about half, store vice-president Jordan Hopper said.

"I think it's going to continue on, certainly until Obama gets into office," he said. "The biggest worry is we won't be able to buy a lot of what they like to consider assault weapons."

But critics say all those frantic gun buyers are ill-informed - "probably ought to be medicated," one gun-control advocate said - and too easily swayed by the tactics of the NRA's Mr. Cox.

Mr. Obama regularly and steadfastly pledges in speeches to uphold the Second Amendment, which preserves the right to bear arms. Though he supports certain gun-control measures and has pushed for moves such as a handgun ban in the past, he doesn't appear willing to sacrifice the time and significant political capital that even the smallest of gun-control laws would require.

So there appears to be little to justify the gun sales blitz.

"The spike in gun sales ... is a serious overreaction to Obama's election," said Harvard law professor Mark Tushnet in an e-mail to The Globe and Mail.

Prof. Tushnet, who has written a book about the U.S. gun debate, said that while Mr. Obama may support moderate gun control, he won't - and couldn't - enact swift changes.

"Whatever [Mr. Obama's] 'deep' views on gun control, the issue is going to be very low priority for his administration and for Democrats in Congress," Prof. Tushnet said. "And such legislation would, of course, be extremely controversial. I don't see any significant political force among Democrats to spend the political capital needed to enact more than the most minor tinkering with existing gun regulations."

The situation is equally baffling to the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, a U.S. organization that supports both gun control and gun owners' rights.

"Barack Obama has said that he's for gun control; therefore, he's obviously going to take away all our guns the moment he takes office," deadpans Brady Campaign spokesman Peter Hamm. "It's nonsensical, and it's ridiculous."

He said the majority of law-abiding gun owners see past the gun lobby's "marketing plan," and likely realize Mr. Obama doesn't appear poised to enact major changes - and that "some small percentage of the population that probably ought to be medicated is buying this stuff" in the wake of the panic.

Mr. Hamm offered to bet any gun owner $10,000 that the guns they want today will still be available next year.
  3. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2006
    From a country with "common sense" gun laws....Hamm has no clue
  4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2007
    "the situation is equally baffling to the Brady Campaign to prevent gun Violence, a U.S. organization that supports both gun control and gun owners' rights". Since when did the Brady Campaign have anything to do with supporting gun owners' rights? Gibe me a break!
  5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Duhhhh....he's a Harvard Law Professor = he has no clue!
  6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Green Bay Wisconsin
    The Hussein was a Harvard law student.

Just a CYA act.

7. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    My buddy called Brownell's yesterday and they said they had 500 30-round AR15 mags in stock. He said he called back an hour later and they were all gone. Unbelievable.
  8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Business is good for the gun stores now!!! But in a year or so when they can't sell these guns how good will it be then??? I hate to think about that, and the high taxes on new shells??? I know of a gun store run by a friend here where I live, most of his business for the last couple of years was these types of auto rifles. He is afraid he will be out of business in the near future.Will shotshells be included with the hunting rounds??? What about small cal. pistol ammo as well??? I can only hope we all are over-reacting. Break-em all. Jeff
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.