1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

No one showed up?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shot410ga, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Went to the club on Sunday morning, and ended up shooting by myself. There are usualy half dozen skeet and a half dozen trap shooters (or more) there on Sunday morning. But, not a soul. Lot's of pistol and rifle shooters. But, not trap or skeet shooter. Nice day, sun, no wind, and no other shoots anywhere near. I was amazed, maybe the high costs are starting to have an effect.

Are any of you seeing the same thing?

2. docrtaylor

docrtaylor TS Member

3. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

I could only take a guess and say yes, the high costs are beginning to have an effect.

I have no idea how many people did show up to shoot at my local ranges over the weekend since I thought it to be more prudent and save the shells, gas and other expenses of shooting for another time. Things are getting far to expensive and shooting will take a back seat to many things. Not only for me but for more than a few shooters that I know.

So how did you shoot over the weekend? Did ya outshoot everyone?

4. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

We had a fun shoot (i.e. meat shoot) at my club Saturday, starting at 11 AM. When I left about 6 PM there were still about ten shooters shooting "Five from the Porch". We had about seven traps constantly busy during the day, gave away every prize we had, and still had to give several people rainchecks for our shoot next month. Sunday was just a normal day, running about five traps from 1 until 5 PM. I deposited a little over $4000 yesterday from the weekend's receipts.

Our first registered shoot about three weeks ago was down slightly from last year, but at least part of that was attributable to the weather, with the roads between here and Utah/here and Boise not in great shape.

All in all, we are not seeing a big negative impact yet.

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Why didn't you take someone with you that you could introduce to the sport?

6. shot410ga

Mr Newbius©: I won. No question about it, I shot 50 singles and 100 handycap. Won both events.

7. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

I think we will all see a decline in our sport.

The clubs I belong to cost me $23.00 in gas to go to before I get the gun out.

Come summer gas will maybe be $5.00 a gal.End result over $30.00 to go shoot a small shoot like a 50 bird derby.

Bo

8. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

All depends if I drive to the club and they have not even set up the voice calls I go back home. Not worth it to set up and fill the machine in 10 deg. temp to shoot practice by myself.

Rock

Jim

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You should have shot pistol. You can get 550 rounds of 22 ammo at Wal-Mart for $10.00. HMB

10. piranha2

piranha2 TS Member

Dammit, you got a better wally world than me - I pay 14.00 for 550 rounds of Remmie hollow points.

11. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Shot410, did you eat beans the night before? Shower and deodorant? I find if I eat a lot of bran and a couple of eggs for breakfast, I am shooting by myself by noon. I am not sure exactly why. Could be that eggs give me bad breath?

:)
    Mike

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Ask them for the Federal Value Pack, $9.88 for 550, 36 grain hps, copper plated. HMB

13. tburrey

tburrey Member

I've noticed this winter that most of the shooters are still showing up for shooting but the number of targets thrown at our club are down for this year over past years. Some shooters I've talked to are cutting back on their shooting including this writer but are not stopping shooting. I figure my reloads cost about $5.25 a box (not counting the price of hulls) and practice is four bucks a round so it costs me about ten bucks on average to shoot 25 targets at practice. I used to shoot 8 or 10 boxes on a Saturday now I shoot 4 or 5 boxes and am still having a good time. It gets me out of the house and a chance to be with my friends at the club which is worth a lot to me. Good shooting. Tom

14. shot410ga

repeteclay: I was kind of looking forward to a 8lb. keg of once used powder for a prize. But, there was slim pickins at this shoot. Oh well, there is next week. But, thanks for the offer.

15. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

I got a flyer from a club that I used to shoot at quite often and since the new managment took over now they charge 29.00 per 100 for registered shooting plus the daily fees and it is not a state shoot just a small club shoot I guess they think we should pay the same as a sporting clays shooter since I heard that is what they really like to begin with.

Well I guess I won't be doing any shooting in that area of southern IL this year I will just go to the bigger shoot's instead if I decide to shoot.

Foghorn220

16. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Oh also $5.50 for a round of 25 practice targets good thing I never shoot a practice round looks like I won't be shooting at all at that club since im cutting back this year on my shooting.

Fog

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Oops I opened the wrong thread. thought it was about the Million Man March.

HM

18. shot410ga

I suspect this year attendance will be about the same at the large shoots. However, the smaller shoots will suffer. Even the snowbirds that usually shoot down here (gulf coast) in the winter have dried up. Perhaps, those RV's are costing to much in fuel, and cutting into the shooting funds.

19. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

You know I have gone to clubs thinking what a great day to be shooting only to find no one to shoot with. This just happens...

Ronbo

20. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

We haven`t found any shortage of shooters yet at Mallard Trap Club in NJ and it seems like a slight increase of income from last year which we really need . Fortunately the weather isn`t too bad for this time of year . Unfortunately the fair weather shooters aren`t out yet and we do have some newbie`s coming around . Dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.