1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

No more RJ Stuart for the grand American

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Jun 7, 2013.

1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

What happened?

2. blacklab

blacklab Member

He quit or your fired him to let this new company do all their IT.

3. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Hooray!!!!

Actually the ATA should have looked into the system the SCTP uses. Shooterspost.com is an unbelievable sytem very easy to navigate and has up to the minute score posting.

I for sure won't miss RJ Stuart.

Probably another excuse though,for a bunch of people to not go to Sparta!!!

4. Shoot n Holler

Shoot n Holler Active Member

I hope this this is a bad joke. I happened to like RJ system seams to be the only one that works well. Last year at the grand for the aim shoot they had some other company doing it.If they are doing it God help us. It was a joke.

5. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

The new guys did the SW Grand. Hope it has improved since then.

6. PaShooter

PaShooter Member

Never a big fan of Bob Stuart, but he did do an excellent job with his shoot software. Can't wait to see the second rate company the ATA has brought onboard to run the Grand!!! Must be much cheaper or related to someone......

Paul H
    Imperial, PA

7. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

I heard a story from bob and if it is correct the ata is in trouble. He 'offered" to sell his system to them and they refused and said they could do it themselves. I think bob and sandi are doing ohio. pa and florida only. I believe this info is correct but it was offered to the ata and they turned it down. motordoc

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Let the rumors begin. The man is slowing down and has been cutting back. This didn't just happen it has been part of his plan. Let them take it easy and live a normal life.

Don

9. Ron Burdick

Ron Burdick Active Member

If the shoot results from the Kansas State Shoot on the ATA page is an example of how they are going to show the results, they need a lot of help.

The system that is used on TS.Com is far superior.

The ATA page just shows a bunch of numbers for each shooter, if you do not have a program in front of you, you don't know what event they are shooting.

It is also 3 days behind.

They had plenty of time to get their stuff in order after the SW Grand.

As one of my old bosses told me, this is all "constructive criticism"

Ron Burdick

10. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Sandie told me they were cutting back, not retiring. She also said they offered to sell to the ATA but they decided the price was not in their budget. Also in the sale was the frequency rights? to broadcast the results to onsite stations. Gonna be an interesting Grand.

11. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Bob told the ATA at least five years ago that he wanted to retire and gave us time to make the arrangements for his replacement. He fulfilled the terms of his contract, wished us good luck, packed up his equipment and narrowed his tasks to a few shoots.

The success of the computer/score-sheet/shootoff/TV and radio/ and communications systems at Sparta - and they are a great success - is entirely due to Bob and his crew, Brian and Joe. They built the entire system from memory, apparently, and the EC had a "turnkey" facility to walk into at the 2006 Grand American and I can't think of a single glitch from the first day at Sparta to the closing bell last year.

I can't tell you how much work it was to walk into an empty concrete shell and in a couple of months (that's how long it took) build a giant, complicated, working system. He told us, for example, what TV tower to buy and the room-full of ancillary equipment, then assembled, tested, and ran it, 18 hours a day for a couple of weeks year after year and we could absolutely count on it, and him and and his crew, without fail every minute of those week all those years. He demanded a tower that was way tougher - and so more expensive - than seemed to make sense but it did survive last year's tornado, didn't it?

Bob follows the rulebook even when everyone else knows that a bit of flexibility here or there would be much more convenient to say nothing of popular. I always liked that except when I was the one favoring some flexibility and I can't remember winning any of those.

When I had some influence I asked Bob to talk to the EC at the end of every Grand and give us a report on what worked and what didn't as well as some suggestions for next year. He always had organized and literate notes to hand out with a dozen or 18 items that he thought needed work and if we hadn't pretty much taken his advice who knows where the ATA/Sparta would be now.

The ATA has always depended on its employees and contractors to really run things no matter what the By-Laws and Trap & Field say. We have been lucky to find over many years competent, hard-working, and loyal people to make the whole operation function and Bob and Joe and Brian (and Sandie) have been among the very, very best.

Neil

12. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

They have known for a year or two that RJ Stuart was not going to do the grand anymore. That is why they created a new system. That system was out of date and ran on systems that were out of date. Yes it did work well but still ran on out of date systems. The ATA wanted to own the software so they could lease/sell/give it to other sites to use. Yes it is still being tested and they did use it at Kansas. There are a few bugs. I also would think that they should be able to show the information real time instead of a day or two late. Also it would be nice if they could show who won or who was in the running for a trophy. But there was always issues with Stuart's software also like trying to figure out who was leading in an event/class after the event.

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

There will always be some psuedo-geek who will say

"How hard can it be?"

14. Shoot n Holler

Shoot n Holler Active Member

Very well said Neil. Good luck to Bob and his family.
    Thank you Bob And staff

Mark

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Have any of you guys ever shot at the Virginia State shoot back when they used the manual card system, he was very fast, had payoffs quicker than the RJ Stuart system back in the 70s, he had shoot off participants ready quickly
    I noticed it back in the 70s, payoffs were ready daily within hours after last shot was fired on each event. The scoreboard was written by hand w/participants name for each event, and scores posted as soon as the squad sheet runners brought the sheets in.

This was also done in this manner at the early Grands and Ohio state shoots at Vandalia, before computer generation

The Virginia state shoot system was the fastest I have ever seen, he really had that system down Pat

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

16. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Ancient Greeks kept track of spear-throwing contests using an abacus. Lewis Class winnings were paid out almost instantaneously.

-Gary

17. BigM-Perazzi

I've been told many shoots have the winners posted before finishing the event.

proprietary time continuum knowledge I've heard...

18. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

When Mel Arft did the cashiering on the shoots--ohio, michigan, grand he was really great, fast and super accurate. Think he passed away but not sure

19. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I went to one shoot where they had the winners posted before the Events even started. Fastest I have ever seen.

20. BigM-Perazzi

Remember too, back in the day, they didn't have ts.com and the internet to deal with.

Search tags for this page
r&j stuart shooting results
rj staurt

rj stuart

rj stuart shoot results

rj stuart trap scores dixie grand 2015
rj stuart trap shooting
rj stuart trap shooting results

rjstuart