1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

No more Flinching

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by DTrykow, Sep 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Well, I don't know how, or why but I stopped flinching. Same gun, trigger, field, ammo, glasses, squad mates, job, wife, girlfriend, etc. Gone. Scores are back up and slightly better. I'm not looking back. Dave T.

2. Juno

Juno TS Member

Let me guess. It happened after McCain announced Palin as his running mate.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What about your shoes and your hat? HMB

4. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

MIA: It's my K-80 I'm shooting now. And, like yourself, the low shooting Top Single barrel was the major cause of my flinch. My Unsingle has a higher POI range so I can get the 80/20 I need. Dave T.

HMB: Same shoes, hat and lucky underwear.

5. Recoil Problems

Recoil Problems TS Member

I believe that all flinching is mental and when some psychologist creates
    an audio tape that a person can listen to for a few hours then one could
    hypnotize themselves to stop flinching.

If anyone knows of such a tape pls let me know....

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

DTrykow, by chance, have you noticed a difference in the quality of your breaks also? Compared to the breaks prior? Hap

7. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Hap: Yes. Solid hits. Had alot of chips before. I'm pretty sure it was a visual issue with me trying to compensate for the low POI. Wheter I was picking my head up or covering the bird, not sure. Dave T.

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

UNDERWARE..? Hell, that might be way you were flinching in the first place ...WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

It's a well known fact that tight underwear will cause flinching. When swinging for the target you pinch your tools. BRGII

10. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

Most flinching is caused by TRACKING the target instead of just letting it go when you are on it..the trigger pulling mind gets in conflict with the sight picture mind and manifests itself in a flinch.How many times have you trackers missed a shot when you just KNEW you were dead on it? The reason you missed is because if the sight picture looks PERFECT then you have slowed down enough to get that PERFECT picture...the slowing down caused the miss.

11. hoofty43

hoofty43 TS Member

Thank you comp1, for your very informative answer. Frank little helped me get over my flinch by my mounting the gun proberly and seeing seeing the true bird/bead relationship. By not rushing the shot and most important to me was the relationship of my trigger finger to the trigger along with a slam and not a squeeze of the trigger. If any of the above is not followed correctly, there is a 90% chance that I will miss the target due to a flinch.

12. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

most flinches are not caused by tracking or are they mental in nature. Unless you consider all of the shot exhists with in the mind.

Visual disruptions of any kind are the trigger for most flinches; proper use of eyes and barrel managment will cure most problems.

A poor trigger can also contribute as well.

Joe

13. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

most flinches are caused by the failure to read the Rollin Bible

14. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Seeing as how most flinches can be eliminated by a release trigger, it follows that most flinches are caused by a pull trigger. lol

15. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

What hoofty said: don't rush the shot. For me, that specifically means:

1) See the bird. As my eyes age and are slower to change focus, it's more important that I see the bird clearly before moving the barrel.

2) Smooth swing.

3) Complete the shot. Stay on it until it breaks.

What it does *NOT* mean:

1) Anticipate the bird. You're gunna look like Zorro when it doesn't go the "right" way.

2) Jump or stab at the bird.

3) Bail out of the gun, stop the gun, bead check, etc, etc.

JMHO

16. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

JBrooks: You made a funny? Also read the "Release Flinching" thread. LOL Dave T.

17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Flinching is caused by a virus. When you think you have found a cure this virus can mutate causing the flinch to return. Hopefully an anti-flinch vaccine will be developed in the near future. HMB

18. jimsw

jimsw Member

Probably the difference between 7 1/2's and 8's.

19. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

Tightness of the underwear is usually fairly noticeable....I'll bet his socks were too tight.

20. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Oh did I mention a properly fitted gun!

Brooks once again gets it wrong! A release may cure some flinches possibly most. The problem; its like the doctor who treats the symptom instead of the disease. If you sneeze do you amputate the nose? Or do you treat the cause? Like the cold or allergies or in Jim's case the neurological dysfunction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.