1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

No more DR wads from CAC

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MKillian, Apr 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MKillian

MKillian TS Member

Those of you that get Downrange wads from a dealer supplied by CAC Associates in Ebensburg, Pennsylvania will have to look for another source of supply. CAC has stopped carrying Downrange wads altogether.

Mike

2. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I learned the same news from calling them today. I was told by another source that CAC is in the drilling business as a supplier and they can pick up Claybuster wads at the factory because they have trucks going that way, and it's cost effective for them to avoid shipping costs from Nebraska. Too bad for us, though, but I'm hoping that Shyda's will begin stocking DR's so we can have a local supplier here in PA, because I really like the new Fig-8/windjammer combo wad Kevin's making. It's a DR8HF8, I believe, and also the Purple 1oz Jammers.

best...mike

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Brian S. is not interested!!

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Brian S. is not interested!!

5. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Personally I prefer downrange but they maybe a horse apiece?

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I'm given to wonder about Downrange. I've been using their wads for some time and have met Kevin several times. At last June's PA State Shoot, we discussed my writing an article about how cold temperatures affect wad performance. He was going to send me the results of testing he had done on the subject as well as Downrange's procedures for testing all its wads but despite numerous reminder emails, I never received the data and have stopped asking for it.

Other people have told me that replies to emails sent to him are either very slow in coming or never come at all.

My local gun shop owner looked into stocking Downrange wads a few years ago but the minimum order that would allow him to make any money on his investment was quite large and the shipping charges were far more than he pays for shipping the other brands of wads he stocks. Perhaps those are the reasons why Shyda's is declining to stock them any longer (I think they sold them some time ago).

I was buying mine from a small dealer in West Virginia but he also no longer stocks them.

Ed

7. dhip

dhip Active Member

OK,not that I want to start anything that could hurt anyone's business,etc.But I do have a question.Catalog or internet shop?.Being they are only plastic and not hazardous,why hasn't a company,such as DR,not looked into direct sales to customers instead of through wholesalers?.Reason I ask,being in the Hobby business,we got killed by catalog prices by large companies.Seems to me if their price structue were construed properly, they probably could make more money per sale,shipping by fedx,ups,etc. can't be that bad.Only problem I see is on their end,having enough people to get the trucks loaded.I've often thought I'd order direct myself if there was an oppurtunity to do so. Just wondering.

Doug H.

8. AveragEd

Kevin and I have spoken about that in the past. He prefers to protect his stocking dealers by not selling direct except to a few of his first and still loyal customers. My best shooting buddy is one of those customers and I can piggy-back what I want onto his orders but we seldom need wads at the same time.

There are a lot of other wads out there and I still have almost two cases of Downranges on hand, so I'm not in a hurry to buy.

Ed

9. benedict1

benedict1 TS Member

I buy my DR wads from Grafs; they ship 5000 wads for only $4.95 shipping.

http://www.grafs.com/

10. AveragEd

The power of the Internet never ceases to amaze me. Kevin just phoned me to say that he had sent me the data we discussed some time ago and took me to task for blasting him on this site. Since he was good enough to call, I apologize and await his resend of the information.

Answering three "reminder" emails telling him that the material was never received would have saved all this...

Ed

11. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

AveragEd,

Your post was certainly disappointing. DownRange has always been BIG on customer service as I know first hand from talking to them on the phone. I'm sure those guys will accept your apology.

What a hollow apology you did give about the reminder e-mails. A forum like this is not the place to air your laundry. Wouldn't a phone call be a more professional way to handle this? I would think you of all people would recognize that fact.

The DR products are 1st class and so are the personnel working there and you can bet your boots I'll continue to use their wads as shipping costs can be minimal if you shop.

12. AveragEd

I'm sorry I disappointed you but I am also big on customer service - I spent 38 years in the field. Kevin asked me to send him a reminder EMAIL so after three attempts, I gave up. From what you and others have posted here, the telephone apparently is the most effective means of reaching Kevin. I'll keep that in mind.

Ed

13. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Ed, I believe DR makes a fantastic wad. Kevin in my experience is first cabin, but I suspect stretched to the limit most of the time. Anytime I have emailed him, he jumps on the phone to call me before the send button has come back. I don't believe email is his best tool, as he has called me anytime I have had questions, even the lamest of them.

He was going to send me some samples of the new figure 8 wad with windjammer 8 petal design...have not seen them, but you can't sweat the small stuff. I checked with Graf's and they have some in stock, so I will get a couple of cases next time we put an order together.

14. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Average ed, I would not apologize to anyone. I have talked to DR a few times about finding someone to sale us Idaho boys some wads and nothing changes. We must be to small of a piece of the pie to worry about. Its easy for me, I just started using another brand along with everyone else here in Idaho I guess.

15. AveragEd

In Kevin's defense, I'm GUESSING that small shops like the one I partronize are too small for what seems like a one-man show to bother with. I'm sure my local shop owner didn't want more than three or four cases to start but you have to consider that he stocks the full lines of Federal, Remington, Winchester and Windjammer wads along with almost every Claybuster wad because that's what his customers buy. He basically has the area of what could be an oversize one-car garage stacked full of wads as it is. If he thought he could converts most of those customers to Downrange products - and in time, that might happen - he could place a much larger order.

I also have found Kevin great to work with on the few occasions that I've spoken with him in person. He sent me a bag each of his newly-relased products some time ago and since one was for straight-wall hulls and I load tapered ones, I gave the bag of Federal/Windjammer clones to a friend who could evaluate them. He liked them but couldn't find anywhere locally to buy them so he went back to his former wad.

I not-so-fondly recall the expectations placed upon me by the public for all those years. Whether they communicated with us via U.S. Mail, telephone, email or smoke signals, they expected a prompt reply or they were less than satisfied and our profitability depended upon customer satisfaction. I'm not that demanding but I do believe in not pestering people - if they do not respond to messages sent over a few months via the method they specified, I leave them alone.

Ed

16. goosedowner

goosedowner Member

I LOVE Down Range wads but I have the same problem as most of you and that is that no one in my area stocks them. I am lucky though because one of the clubs I belong to does a once a year components order through Dawsons and they do carry DR wads so I can stock up then. I now have 10,000 wads on there way as we speak.
    One of the things I like about DR is a small time trap shooter like myself can call DR and Kevin will take time out of his busy schedule to answer all my questions. You just don't find that with most companies these days.

17. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I've only used Winchester, Remington, and Claybuster wads. However it sound like I should give Downrange a try with the owner being such a standup guy. Nice to hear these days.

18. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I visited Kevin at his shop in Hastings, NE a few years ago. He is a top notch guy, and I have always had great response from him. I think, like some have mentioned above, he is spread pretty thin.

Great product, too.

Sounds like the original post is a matter of a choice on the part of the shop, CAC, and not a problem on the part of Downrange or Kevin.

Wish I could get them over here. The price of shells is ri-friggin-diculous! Even the budget shells are over $80 a case, depending on the exchange rate at the time!

But then I'd have to buy a reloader, and powder (only one option on powder, and they don't have much of a selection) and find shot, and primers (you can only have 250 in your possession.)

19. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

timb99, Isn't that a telling statement about what politics can do to a country. Heck, we buy them in sleeves of 5,000 and think nothing of it.

20. revbook

revbook Member

timb99.....where is "over here"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

claybuster wad dealers nebraska