1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

No more 20 year pension from military???

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Rick Barker, Aug 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Talking to an ex-career military friend last night, who told me that people will no longer be able to collect a pension after 20 years of service. I have little reason to doubt this man, but this the first I have heard of this. Anyone else hear this????

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Pure rumor and fear mongering.

It would be phased in.

They tried this before and had to phase it out.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

3. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Oh, well good, there is stories about the proposal dated 7/26/11 in www.military.com, wwwairforcenews.com, and www.stripes.com.

Glad to know it is false.

4. g7777777

I didnt say there werent proposals- there are always proposals

Regards from Iowa

Gene

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

What they did in the past is cut the percentage received with 20 years or more. Depends on your enlist date.

6. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Current rumor is that they may go to a 401 type system. Kind of like the current FERS for civilian fed employees. Got that from a guy that works for the VA so take it for what thats worth.

Jim

7. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

The 401K style retirement with Union type point system for years served is the latest proposal...Navy Times is all over it...LarryB (USN-Ret)

8. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Hey, Gene knows better as he said 'Pure rumor and fear mongering'.Never mind what you are reading. Gene knows it all. Bulge.

9. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

My Nephew a career Marine called me about this last night, he is upset after being in heavy combat the last several years for our country, now the current politicos want to cut our guys, let them fight the battles!

They are looking in the wrong place to save money, if they decide to go ahead with this they better bring back the draft!

10. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

The bottom feeders have always shafted the military,not the big military contractors, just the grunts that get it all done

11. g7777777

Barrel Bulger

You need to stick with your rants that Obama is not the president and that your guns without serial numbers are special ops weapons

Now to the question

Rick Barker posted: "Talking to an ex-career military friend last night, who told me that people will no longer be able to collect a pension after 20 years of service."

My answer is correct- there is no law on this. There are only proposals. Even when they enacted something like this before they ended up making it by your entry date. Well they repealed those enactments and granted retroactively 20 year retirements.

Will some of these proposals become law? who knows. Will they affect anyone in uniform now- doubtful. Will they in turn be repealed in the future. Possible.

Barrle Bulger you didnt have the courage to serve yourself so just pay attention to the rumor mongering about Obama that you usually do. You know nothing about the military.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

12. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Yeh and Champus will be there for you to.

13. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Gene, I will let you in on a small facet of my life. When I was 18 I went to a Marine recruiting station and tried to sign up for the Marines. They would not accept me as my dad died in the navy when I was two. His two brothers also served and were dead leaving me a Sole surviving son. My draft status was then changed to 4-A meaning military service completed. So your assumptions are incorrect again. When it comes to assumptions and misstatements you are on dunmb SOB.
    To show sign of intelligence why don't you try making statements that you know something about and it is 100% true instead of falsely accusing anyone of anything. I don't think there is a bigger stupid a$$ than you on this site.
    I wish I had your address so I could send your wife a synpathy card. Bulge

14. g7777777

What a piece of work you are Barrel Bulger

Let me clue you in Barrel Bulger-- that is BS- that is an exemption- sole surviving son

Why dont you go change your post- but others have seen it now- where you claim they wouldnt take you because your father died. His brothers passsing away have nothing to do with your status

You have to request an exemption.

Try to BS your other racist friends- dont try to BS anyone that knows

Regards from Iowa

Gene

PS I am going to post what you wrote Barrel Bulger "Gene, I will let you in on a small facet of my life. When I was 18 I went to a Marine recruiting station and tried to sign up for the Marines. They would not accept me as my dad died in the navy when I was two. His two brothers also served and were dead leaving me a Sole surviving son. My draft status was then changed to 4-A meaning military service completed. So your assumptions are incorrect again. When it comes to assumptions and misstatements you are on dunmb SOB. To show sign of intelligence why don't you try making statements that you know something about and it is 100% true instead of falsely accusing anyone of anything. I don't think there is a bigger stupid a$$ than you on this site. I wish I had your address so I could send your wife a synpathy card. Bulge "

PPS Here is the general rule "Contrary to popular belief, "only sons," "the last son to carry the family name," and "sole surviving sons" must register for the draft, they can be drafted, and they can serve in combat. However, they may be entitled to a peacetime deferment if there is a military death in the immediate family.

Sole surviving sons or daughters, upon request (or request from member’s immediate family) for noncombat duty may not be assigned to duties normally involving actual combat or to duty where the member might be subjected to hostile fire. In the Air Force, the deferment request must come from the member, not the immediate family.
    Members may waive entitlement to the assignment limitation, whether entitlement was based on the member's own application or the request of the member's immediate family.

PPS In my mind there is nothing more revolting than someone that will lie about their service or lack thereof

15. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Gene, more of your slanderous false accusations. I really don't need to prove anything to you. For previously being a lawyer(supposedly)you sure do make a lot of false and inaccurate statements. Open mouth insert foot. Please start taking those meds again or pour the bottle down the drain. Bulge.

16. g7777777

Barrel Bulger- people that know you read this stuff. I dont know how long you have been telling that story but I understand that you have a daughter in the service. Well thank her for her service.

But know what? She probably knows or as she goes along in the military will get enough information to know that story isnt true also.

I would turn over a new leaf if I were you.

Really I hope you go away from this forum also

Regards from Iowa

Gene

17. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Gene talking about turning a new leaf,do you ever have anything good to say about anyone? I have never seen that on here. You are always taking shots at everyone never a good word. You must have one hell of an inferiority complex to have a need as big as yours to try and bring everyone down to your level.
    By the way ,what is your service record like? Do you have one or did you run off to college so you wouldn't have to go? Maybe Canada until it blew over?
    Or did you go to West Point? By the way is this you?

barrelbulge_2008_210810.jpg

18. capulona

capulona TS Member

let me say this - if I or any member of my family were to pursue a military career(and there are at least 5 in my immediate circle) the last thing I would be thinking of would be entitlement. My cousins went to fight in Iraq (1 & 2) and Afghanistan because they wanted to serve. They did not give a shit about retirement.

19. g7777777

Barrelbulge I had draft number 273 and enlisted-- unlike you

Appointed by the Secretary of the Army at the age limit when I was a Sergeant in the 82nd Airborne Division.

Everyone reading this knows you have been telling that story for year.

Gene

20. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Yes Gene what ever you say. Tickle yourself some more to make yourself feel good. You are so full O.S. Ask Mary to tickle you maybe she can boost your ego and make you feel good. By the way does God ask you for advice? Bulge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.