1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

No Monte Carlo stock on BT-99 ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Oct 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

One of the distinguishing characteristics of entry level trap guns compared to their field grade counterparts has been the Monte Carlo stock.

(See Remington 870 and 1100 trap guns.)

In the past, Browning BT-99 shotguns had Monte Carlo stocks, but it seems like the current production models have done away with that feature.

Any thoughts as to why ?

Hammer

2. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Well the older Bts can be had with monte carlo stocks. My opinion as to why the newer models dont is their way of cutting costs. Older models had engraveing as well new models dont.

The same stock is used either way, plain or cut to be adjustable. Like most every company is cutting cost to maximize profit.

I know fellows that have new models without adj. combs and shoot them well. But I myself had 1 with adj. comb and had to only adjust it slightly higher and to the right for myself.

Still for the money they are still a very reliable gun and like anything else, you do to it to make it fit you. Adding a foam stick on to raise the comb, sanding it to lower it or haveing it cut shorter. Its still a money game and you shoot what you can afford to enjoy the game.

Jerry Lewis

3. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

A lot of the older BT's also had the straight comb trap stocks. They came either way. A straight comb on a trap stock is higher than a straight comb on a field grade gun.

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The Bt-99's Browning sells today are like the original models introduced 60-70 years ago. They had straight stocks and a beavertail forend - similar to the popular Ithaca single barrels from the 40's. Sometime after that they changed to the more popular style of single barrels, with a monte carlo stock and semi-beavertail forend. Problem was, that shooters really liked the old style Bt-99's, probably the most popular single barrel trap ever. So, obviously, Browning brought back the old, old style, and eliminated the old, newer style.

5. ercowles

ercowles Member

I have two BT-99s...both acquired within the past year. One has an adjustable- comb stock from the factory; the other has a factory Monte Carlo stock. I preferred the Monte Carlo, so a gun fitter (Todd Nelson, in this case) could make the adjustable portion of the stock. Having Todd make the stock was preferable to Browning's version, which had to be modified in both my XT Trap Combo and first BT-99 in order to fit the gun properly. -- ed cowles

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning bt99 old style stock

browning monti carlo stock shotgun

bt 99 monte carlo stock

bt99 trap characteristics

bt99 with monty carlo stocks

monte carlo stock for bt-99