1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

No Men's Olympic Trap Team in London!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Voolfie, Oct 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

No Men

The U.S. failed - in four years of international competition - to win a quota slot for the 2012 Olympics in Men's Trap.

Notwithstanding our Women's program or our Men's Skeet & Double Trap successes, this is a cringe-inducing embarrassment for our Olympic Shooting program.

Yesterday we didn't even make the podium in Men's Trap at the Pan-American Games (our last chance to land a quota slot). Historically, we have 'owned' the Pan-American Games. When Guatemala and the Dominican Republic have quota slots and the U.S.A. does not...that's nothing short of shameful.

It seems pretty obvious that there is something seriously wrong with our recruitment, training and team selection procedures for this to happen.

I think USA Shooting should have to explain itself.

-J.F. Wolfington

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

If you ask me, and I know this is ancient history and slightly off the point, but they were wrong to sever the historical relationship with the NRA. When I looked at the fabulous Rifle-Pistol training facility NRA built at the USOTC in Colorado Springs, it just seemed like an incredibly symbiotic relationship for both parties at the time, and couldn't believe anyone would ever want to end it.

I understand that Olympic Sport is highly politicized, but that was just plain wrong-headed. Did they think George flippin' Soros would just start shoveling piles of liberal cash their way, once the NGB of the sport and the ugly right-wing lobbying interests of the NRA were dis-associated from one another? Was the idea that Liberal private donors would suddenly surface out of the woodwork, principled progressive gun-lovers who could not bring themselves to support Olympic athletes as long as the NRA was involved, but would suddenly open their checkbooks once the ties were cut? Government funding? What's the "up side" they were looking for, by not having the longest-running gun and shooting sports organization in America on their side? I just don't get it.

When I was "that age," I had the dream, same as any young kid who loves to shoot. I just wasn't good enough to make that jump. But the first thing I did after college and getting a real job was to purchase an NRA Life Membership; and my invitation letter from NRA to participate in the national pistol team selection matches is still one of my prized possessions tucked away in the safe.

So I don't say this as someone who is indifferent to US Olympic Shooting, or who doesn't care about the young people who are involved and dedicate themselves to it. I can relate to them.

But for all I care - USA Shooting can go hang. I don't care if they ever win another medal, ever again. They lost me when they walked away from NRA who had supported them for so long.

Get your donations from someone else (and lots of luck identifying your next Carlisle or Haldeman).

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

USA Shooting can't make competitive shooters if there's no interest. I know
    several youmg shooters who have dropped out. I'm sure other countries provice more financial backing than we do. It's not a disgrace, just the way it is.

4. Baber

Baber TS Member

Buzz Gun...

A little facts here. The NRA could not or would not comply with the Federal Law governing Olympic Sports and they not USA Shooting (which incidently did not even exist at the time) gave up their status as National Governing Body for Olympic Shooting. What you are stating is a myth regarding this issue. Suggest you get your facts straight.

Tom

5. Baber

Baber TS Member

In reality what we need are more facilities. We have too few bunkers in this country to properly grow and train shooters for this sport.

Tom

6. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

The interest is there, but the money is not.

Trap shooting is expensive. Olympic Trap is more expensive. The guns aren't cheap, but the targets and ranges are even more expensive. We have to find a way to make it more accessible to those who aren't millionaires.

7. crusha

crusha TS Member

TBaber,

The Wigger Clique and their group of shooters got together and decided they wanted to start their own NGB, because they thought they could collect more fund$ that way.

You cannot expect me to believe the NRA was in violation of Federal Law all along - and nobody discovered it until 1993.

But in any case - I don't suppose there's anything preventing USA Shooting from building all the bunkers they want, is there?

8. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!!!!!!!

This is what we get from having our players come up through a weak league, playing dumbed-down Trap.

Americans have no representation in Formula 1, because our drivers grow up driving easy ovals, so they aren't ready for the real race courses.

Our motorcyclists do very well in Moto GP, because the junior motorcycle series are road courses, so our riders are used to playing on a tougher training ground.

ATA Trap is making Americans dumbed-down and weaker trapshooters.

9. Baber

Baber TS Member

Buzz Gun

I was involved with some of the meetings regarding this subject. The reality was that the NRA was taking in money to support Olympic shooting and was not doing it. The NRA signed a consent order stating they would comply with the law and then did not. They gave up on Olympic shooting not the other way around. Again.... Get your facts straight.

Tom

10. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

"In reality what we need are more facilities. We have too few bunkers in this country to properly grow and train shooters for this sport."

yOu kiN jUss ShUT yEr' PieHOle, yoU feRRin LOver!

wE goTz aR atA trAp, aN' wee dOn'T neED yER' dUMMed dOWn fErrIN cOmmIe TRaP!!!!!!

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

sTaY tHE cOUrsE!!!!

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Indy, were you dropped on your head repeatedly as a child?

12. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

Beginning back in the late 80's there was a genuine concern on the part of some in the Int'l shooting community that the political activities of the NGB were hurting fundraising and tarring the Olympic Shooting program with the brush of 'extremism' that the NRA was (and of course still is) accused of.

As I see it, the real problem for our NGB, whoever they be, is the existence of - and competition from - a parallel organization. In this case, the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit. I sincerely doubt any other nation has such a split in its recruitment & training. I'm not saying that one or the other needs to go away, but it would seem that a better bridge between the two needs to exist.

-J.F. Wolfington

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Indy said;

"you don't give "hints," just dumb comments that hurt trap.

Do trap a favor, and stop talking."

Indy also said;

"This is what we get from having our players come up through a weak league, playing dumbed-down Trap"

"ATA Trap is making Americans dumbed-down and weaker trapshooters"

Yeah those are sure positive statements that help Trap. You really are a hypocritical idiot.

14. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

Voolfie, we aren't going to get substantially better on the world stage until our trapshooting community looks at ATA trap and says to anyone shooting it: "What are you doing with that kiddie stuff? Come on over and try the hard stuff."

We need a profound cultural shift in the trap community.

When you mention that we lag on the world stage, you get people saying things like this:

"Olympic Gold Metal....are you fricken kidding? Just send a check or a few flats of shells. Hang around self appointed elitists all day? I'd rather visit with the ATA good 'ol boys. What arrogance."

Many of our shooters simply lack the intellect, ability and culture to even attempt competing in a world event.

15. running bear

running bear Member

Indy, I'm still wating for your answer on meeting at one of the four traps around Tampa for your challenge?

Buck

16. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

INDY: you hit the nail on the head this time!

17. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

Are we trying out for the Olympics there, or are you just being a troll wandering into threads where you have nothing to add and can say nothing on the topic?

But, since it's always fun to expose the trolls are being ignorant, I can shoot trap in Tampa at MacDill, Dollar, Skyway, Hernando and wobble at TBSC. The metro area gives me Sarasota, Lakeland and Imperial.

What's that, eight?

How is this relevant to the Olympics?

18. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Eurpean trap shooters are generally speaking from the wealthy elite who can afford the high cost of olympic shooting. When US Olympic teams start getting government funding vs. corporate then it will once again rule. Blameing the NRA is ludicrous, blame American gun and ammo makers who profit from our sport but fail to put back into it.

Robert

19. Baber

Baber TS Member

INDY... You talk about facilities in the Tampa Bay area. Some good ATA trap clubs but NO BUNKERS! that thats the problem. The only bunker in Florida is in Gainesville. There are shooters desiring to shoot bunker but no new bunkers have been built in the state for years. I have a complete set of hank cocked Hand loaded traps with control system that I will give or loan to any club willing to build a bunker in Florida. So far no takers.

Tom

20. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

Baber, relax. Tampa isn't the issue. It was brought up by a troll.

You will find no greater advocate than me for putting bunkers wherever we can.

They're moving the Indiana State Shoot to the boonies, leaving the Indiana Gun Club with no obligation to the Indiana Trapshooting Association. My exhortation to install bunker there was not well received.

American shooters simply have no drive to play a tougher game. Florida, in particular, suffers from a bad demographic problem amongst its trapshooters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.