1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

No Lead, No Lead guess thats where THEY get us

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jmunsell, Aug 2, 2013.

1. jmunsell

jmunsell Banned User Banned

Can't get any lead anywhere here new or used. Is a great sport coming to and end? What a shame.

2. Rubicon_Joey

Rubicon_Joey Active Member

no real shortage of lead here, but it ain't cheap...

3. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

Funny you should say that, I just heard a high profile tv personally say on a talk show that she believed in the right to bear arms, then stated BUT lets make ammo so expensive that people will think, can I afford to spend $500.00 for this bullet to shoot this person! WOW is all I can think

4. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Space Gun--Who was that talk show host?

Chuck

5. jmunsell

That was probably on the Pierce Morgan CNN show. We all know his stance is to get rid of all guns a far cry from what he started out saying in the beginning. Funny he cuts people off when they start using true statistic's and getting the better of him. I believe the lady said make them pay $5000 for the bullet but I may be wrong. THEIR going after are ammo for sure. Lead here cost 40 for 25lb if you can find it. Our club game night has dwindled to about half of what we had. It will not help killers will find there ammo or they will just knife ya to death.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Put up a shot screen, catch the lead and sell it back to the members at a reasonable price. HMB

7. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Obama will get us one way or another!!

Clyde

8. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

I have well over a ton in my shop. I have picked it up at 3 distributors when they had it. Was told yesterday by a dist. they have orders for 20,000 bags right now and its not coming in very fast.

Mine is 39.50/bag. I have heard its from 42-55.00 bag other places.

9. jmunsell

Not one of our clubs or shops in the Portland Metro area has lead. You might see a bag or 2 in Bi mart for $50 to $60 a bag. If anyone gets any their swarmed by buyers buying everything they can get their hands on.

10. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

The military is in the process of converting to "green bullets" for 5.56 and 7.62, so I'm hoping that it should free up some of the lead for us. One of the guys on another site had a picture of the mega-bullet puller his company had built. They had an initial contract to pull down 50 million M855 rounds "for components". I would think their plan would be to reload them with the new M855A1 copper bullet. Hopefully we'll get a chance at the old M855s.

That's two "hopes" in one paragraph. I must be gettin' brainwashed. ;-)

Bob Falfa

11. jmunsell

I have a hard time believing the military is using up all the lead since it has only been the last 6 or so months since we have been seeing the lead problem. You just don't go from full shelves to empty shelves if there isn't some big buyer behind it.

12. Lead Miner

Lead Miner Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have 200,000 pounds for sale right now and I am digging up more everyday. So what's the problem. Terry

13. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Lead Miner. I figured out your 98.00/68 lbs. Thats equates to 36.00/25 lbs including shipping. Most places that have new except Bass Pro and a couple others are less than that for new shot right now anyway. Don't know what the future holds though.

I had a typo. its 36.00/25

14. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Why are we missing the obvious? Maximum allowable load: 24 grams.

15. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Terry, the problem is it needs to be on the west coast...specifically central CA...Ha!!

I came up with 36.03 equivalent to a 25# bag. Math could be rusty, but seems it is 1.44 a pound roughly. That would be 33.36 before tax where I am at, and delivered to my door.

I have not used Lead Miners product, but reviews are great and it looks good in print. I would not hesitate to try it if I was down to needing lead.

16. Lead Miner

Most of what I sell is in the bulk by the 3,200 pound barrel. The problem is that not everyone can buy a barrel and are in remote areas. Therefore we make this offer to maybe help out that guy. Actually it is a pain in the rear to polish lead, put it in a bag, weigh it out, get a box strong enough to hold it plus fit into a flat rate box, get it labeled for delivery and then get it shipped off. Not the cheapest in town for some but it is a money saver for others. its not a pass time for me but a business. If you are somewhat close to Nebraska you can buy from me by the bulk and definitely save more money. No doubt about that. We do deliver all over the Midwest and starting to on the east coast where we have a large demand. I try to offer the best product that I can. Some like it and others don't. I did sell over 300,000 pounds of polished reclaimed lead shot last year and this year we will double that. So evidently a few people like it. I can only do my best and keep trying to improve. If you come to our shop I guess that it would be obvious that it would be your cheapest route to go. Someone said here that new is less than my reclaimed well I say REALLY. Then go buy it because it does not happen anywhere. If it did there would not be any posts like this. Anyway if I can be of help in any way just let me know. Terry

17. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

I sell new lead and make 1.05/bag. If I mark it up more the shooters around here shop other places to buy it. It a tough business selling reloading components.

18. Lead Miner

XP100. I fully agree with you. Its a tough business to make A living at. Its a lot of cash outley for you to buy tons of lead shot, carry it into your store and then help to carry it out for your customer only to make the $1.05 per bag that you do only to hope they also support you and buy other pproduct from your store. If you want we could discuss you buying bilk from me and reselling it. I don't know it it would be of interest to you but the offer is open. I do have others who resell my polished reclaimed. Terry

19. slkslk

slkslk TS Member

$28.00 for reclaimed lead here, and #38.00 for new in Minnesota

Steve

20. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I have not been able to get any 12 gauge shells at Walmart here in the Milwaukee area for the past 8 to 10 months.

My daughter works part time there and they told her the government is buying up all the 12 gauge shells. Have no idea what or who to believe. The hand writing is on the wall, we need to find an alternative replacement for lead shot.
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin