1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

No guns in cars, Cook County says.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by almost unemployed, Jul 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. almost unemployed

almost unemployed TS Member

More crap. Who really believes the last paragraph? They make it sound like no concealed weapons carried on your person, but in the car as well. Travelling through? Hope you don't get in a wreck or other incident where they go through your posessions.

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

"We would support any effort to make the gun laws stricter and the penalties stronger," said Cook County State's Attorney Dick Devine's spokesman, John Gorman.

More rhetoric. Cook County needs to enforce the penalties (that they already have) against the true criminals , rather than enact sticter gun laws.

3. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

did you two miss this part?

"Cline said he will seek legislation making jail time mandatory for those who unlawfully carry a gun in Chicago."

What i got out of it was that the laws they have for illegally carrying a gun were not strict enough. Though, i dont see the need for new legislation...just stricter sentencing.

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Almost Unemployed,

You need to lay off the the caffeine. Chicago is unfriendly firearm territory and pretty much everyone knows that - no news here! Chicago's prohibition of firearms works just like the prohibition of alcohol did in the 20s.

With few exceptions, there is no concealed carry. Want to carry in Chicago, wear a fannypack or backpack and make sure the gun is unloaded. If you travel in/through Chicago with firearms, be prepared to pony up good bond money if you get caught with it on you or in the vehicle's compartment transported improperly.

Otherwise Chicago is no more difficult to travel through than out in the country for a law abiding citizen.

Jay Spitz

5. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

spitter:
    What is the sense of evening carrying if the firearm is unloaded? Also its not just "pony up good bond money" if you do get caught, you will never see your firearm again, it will cost you big bucks for a criminal attorney to fight to keep your butt our of jail (its a felony in Illinois with a $10,000 fine to be caught carrying a firearm-loaded or unloaded, unless you have a permit to carry-which Illinois only gives out to law inforcement).
    This comes from experience after having moved out of the State of Illinois because of their anti gun mentality and if you do have a permit to carry from another state you best know that Illinois doesn't reciprocate.

6. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

wow... I knew chicago was bad...but damn, that is ridiculous.

good thing i've never had a desire to go to Illinois.

7. Alaskamodel12

Alaskamodel12 TS Member

If Hillary or Obama are elected to the White House we will have our hands full for 4 years. It was clear to me from watching the debate last week that the candidates for that particular primary election think that gun ownership is odd and needs to be more tightly controlled.

8. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Hillary / Obama will affect anyone who has an interest in firearms. With them in office, this country is in for a terrible change. Also, I just traveled through Chicago yesterday; and as always, "Happiness is seeing Chicago in your rear view mirror". Ed

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Why would any reasonable intelligent person that has an interest in any type of justice live in Chicago? For that matter, any state, city, municipality that attempts to regulate "Our" 2nd Amendment Rights against us should be avoided and not subsidized monetarily by those of us that shoot for recreation.

Curt - Delaware

10. recurvyarcher

"Though, i dont see the need for new legislation...just stricter sentencing."

Revsublime...that is exactly what I said. Did you have a blonde moment?

11. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

Did you actually read the article? If so, what's your problem with this-

"Cline said judges would have discretion to reduce charges in unusual cases -- such as a Tennessee woman recently stopped at the Sears Tower with a gun in her purse.

"We're not after the lady from Tennessee who has a license down there, but the gang-banger causing the deaths of all our children," he said."

Maybe you're an irate gangbanger?

12. smartass

smartass TS Member

Is this thread going to end in anger? Please say it's not so.

13. recurvyarcher

jnoemanh, don't know if you are addressing me or not, but it's the discretion part that may bother some. That means that it depends on what judge you get...and you notice that they didn't say "dismiss" charges...

14. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

No I wasn't adressing you, recurvy. However if you read the article, it seems there is no new legislation, only stiffer sentences, with some descretion allowed. In other words there are no new prohibitions about carrying guns, only increased enforcement.

I don't know the situation in Chicago, but if there are gang bangers killing children, certainly Chicago has the right to impose jail sentences for illegal use of guns.

15. recurvyarcher

"We would support any effort to make the gun laws stricter and the penalties stronger," said Cook County State's Attorney Dick Devine's spokesman, John Gorman.

Making the gun LAWS more stict would require a change in the legislation. Did you miss that part of the sentence?

16. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

recurvy: "Making the gun LAWS more stict would require a change in the legislation. Did you miss that part of the sentence?"

No, I didn't miss that. More strict could mean more strict sentencing under present laws - as if you punish your child by being grounded a week instead of a day for the same offense. I didn't see any refernece to new legislation being enacted, or even proposed, other than increasing penalties for violations of existing laws. Did you?

17. recurvyarcher

Yes, I interpret "make the gun laws stricter and the penalties stronger" as two action items, because it has an "and" in the middle of it.

Otherwise, why didn't they just say "We would support any effort to make the penalties for violations stronger."?

Politicians leave things open for interpretation like that because then they don't have to answer to either side...until they are asked "Exactly what do you mean by that?" I would like to know exactly what they mean by their statement, as it can be interpreted the way I see it, just as well as the way you see it.

I would rather assume that they meant it the way I interpret it, and take action to ensure our freedoms, rather than assume they mean it the way that you choose to interpret it. That way, at least I'm not the one sitting around feeling sorry later.

18. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

yes...a blonde moment. But only because I did not realize the extent of current Illinois gun legislation.

I want nothing to do with a state that abrogates the 2nd amendment.

I have a strong dislike for the mid-west anyways...

19. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

recurvy: "I would rather assume that they mean it my way, and take action to ensure our freedoms,"

Since you ignored my question as to whether you know of any new or proposed legislation, I'll take to mean that you don't.

What "action" do you intend to take?

20. recurvyarcher

OK, Rev...I am with you, at least on the 2nd amendment thing.

I happen to particularly like certain folks from the midwest. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.