1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

No eye protection men's Olympic doubles trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by high 2, Aug 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. high 2

high 2 Member

Did anyone else notice the 2 shooters on men's double trap that WERE not wearing eye protection while shooting? I guess this allowed? It looked very strange seeing it. Larry

2. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Saw that, and was quite surprised. Should be mandatory I think (although I prefer to shoot without glasses myself)

3. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Maybe since they don't use release triggers they don't have to worry about eye protection,,,,, ;),,,,,,how many hunters don't use protection?????

4. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Eye protection is not mandatory. Even those shooters who wear glasses sometimes take them off when it is raining.

5. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Was watching a shoot-off for Mens World Championship bunker shoot a few years ago and noticed 5 of the 6 shooters were wearing large muffs. The 6th shooter wore no muffs or glasses and was from a former Soviet country. Finding muffs my preference I still was amazed that such talented shooters used them. Recently read that its because they are shooting under cover and shooting very high velocity shells and ported guns in most cases. Glasses should be required.

6. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Someone should tell them that porting their guns has no positive effect and reduces the value and market when they go to sell them. LOL Ron

7. high 2

high 2 Member

I don't even reload without my glasses on. My eyes aren't what they used to be, but i sure take care of them. You never know when you might load a Crown magnum. Larry

8. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

BUT....

in FITASC (international sporting) "wearing sandals is not permitted for safety reasons."

Might stub your toe.

9. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

The Olympic Committee handed out lots of condoms to the atheletes. I wonder if they used them? Charlie

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

They put the condoms over their muzzles to keep the mud out of their barrels. They started that practice back when they used to wear sandals. I wonder if the men's team wear...uh....uh , use those MAGNUM rubbers. Probably not. I forgot they only throw 7/8 ounce at a time.

11. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Rule 9.2.7.2 - shooters are urged to wear shatterproof eye protection or something similar. Same goes for ears. As for sandals, as long as there is a heal strap the answer is probably yes. Frowned upon perhaps, but legit.

Hal

12. racer

racer TS Member

Any stats available on the number of eye injuries due to shooting sports? Bet not.... Dan

13. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Dan,

My understanding is that all the sports at the USOC have report all injuries. Shooting has reported exactly two. Both were sprained ankles from pick-up basketball games.

HJH

14. willing

willing Member

Did you notice the shell in the gun when changing positions? After some of the discusions on here!!!

Bill

15. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

Think I saw one of them rest the barrel on his toe too.

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Personally, I feel it sets a bad example if the Olympians do not follow basic safety rules and standards such as glasses, hearing protections etc ... These rules should be standardized and mandated by all shooting organizations ... Be carefull out there ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. revbook

revbook Member

Bigdogtx...What difference would a release trigger as opposed to a pull trigger have to do with eye protection?

Don in PA

18. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

I do not care what they do at the Olympics as far as eye, ear, nose throat etc. protection. They are pro's and would not be allowed to shoot if not following the rules.

However, I will wear eye and ear protection all the time when shooting Trap or Sporting clays, just makes sense. Oh yeah, I wear TEVA sandals in the summer time also, but no Turbin.

19. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Shells stay in the gun at shooters' discretion except when moving from #5 to #1. If empty guns were mandated, shooters would be removing loaded shells up to about 20 times a round. Two shells are loaded and only one is usually fired each time it is your turn to shoot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.