1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

No easy way to say goodbye

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by striper, Jun 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

I come to this website and read articles everyday of interest about reloading and shooting and also read the stories about our favorite four legged family member that have been killed or had to be put down. Our 15 year old Italian Greyhound,my wifes fav of the four we had will be put to sleep this evening. She has developed a serious heart condition and suffered some brain damage. I was trying to be strong for my wife but as I write this tears are welling up in my eyes. No matter what the breed, birddog, or a toy when they have been family members for 15 years and added so much joy to your household there is no easy way to say goodbye. This evening we will take her and hold her as she gets the injection to make her life more comfortable. I have had dogs all my life and this is always the hardest part!

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

striper, I feel deeply for you..

The last buddy I lost so deeply affected me that it took two years before I picked a new bud. I have been where your at and only know that your doing the right thing by giving her comfort...

If you need, call me. 785-822-7415 Not saying I can help but I darn sure been there.

3. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Good luck! That's a very difficult thing to do and I too have the same thing coming soon.

4. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Just remember, you are doing the best thing for her, even though it's difficult. You wouldn't want her to suffer through this. You love her. If the tables were turned, you would want her to be kind to you as well.

I'm very sorry you are going through this.

5. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

Remember, when she passes tonight, another will be born. Get a new one and enjoy the journey again.

6. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Sorry for the loss of your friend. It's never easy, but like others have said, you are doing the best thing for your pal. One of life's sadest things is that we outlive our dogs. Our thoughts are with you.

7. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Striper, whished I could offer some magic words of comfort, but I know that's hard to do in this situation. Even after six yrs. of being without "Ace," my hunting companion and friend, I am still typing this through blurred vision.

All I can say is,"Please understand I (and I know many others) understand your dilema and hurt. As Pheasantmaster mentioned above,please feel free to call if I can be of any help. Cell# 308-390-5400. Stay strong, stay positive--Steve

8. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I know exactly how you feel. We had to put down our wonderful friend over a year ago. I still get teary eyed when I think of him. Remember, you still have all those wonderful memories. Ed

9. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

Many of us have gone through the experience and it is never easy. It's OK to shead some tears and feel the loss. If you didn't feel anything what kind of a person would you be? It's conforting to know you had many years of pure enjoyment and you should also know that many of us on TS.com will be praying for you and yours. Remember the good times and keep them in your heart for the rest of your life. Michael and Jane

10. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Sorry for your loss. Just hold onto him and comfort him while they do it. I held our rottie and petter her while she was getting the injection. It is really hard to do but I hope that there will be someone to do it for me if the time should come. John

11. striper

striper Member

Gentleman its over. We held her as the vet gave her the shot and I felt her little heart stop as I had my hand on her chest. I do so appreciate all your thoughts and prayers and I will let my wife read this post in a few days after her heart mends.I have raised dogs for over 30 years and as hard as it I will never let them leave this earth without me holding them. 30 years ago my best hunter a German Wirehair got cancer and I could not be in the room with the vet to say goodbye. I learned from that experience to never let them go alone in spite of how difficult it is on us. I feel we owe them that much but it was a hard lesson to learn. Again my thanks for your thoughts and prayers. As great as God is he has to have a super dog resort somewhere for our four legged friends. Jim

12. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

All is at rest.

13. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

My deepest sympathies to you and your family.

If dogs don't go to heaven, I want to go where they go.

14. teleskier

teleskier Member

Wow...I have been going through some very teary episodes the past couple of days thinking about my two sons, our lives together, things done and not done, them graduating and moving on, and I guess just how much I love them, am proud of them and honestly don't know how I would function without them.

Then I read this story and I am a softy for animals anyway and those darn tears started welling up and now my face is soaking wet again!!

Our thoughts and prayers are with your family. Mike

15. emm2

emm2 Member

I'm sorry to about your family member. Our thoughts and prays are with you!!! Shane and Erin

16. larryjk

larryjk Member

My son has had bad luck with his pets, mainly the cats. Lost during neutering surgery, cancer( had to put it to sleep). He was talking to me and thinking maybe he was jinxed and shouldn't get another pet cat. I told him to think of the really good life he had given everyone of his pets. Most of them were from shelters, where they were at risk to be destroyed. I told him to remember the love and care they all received and to take a risk again so that more of them could have his attention. Think of your dog the same way. I also think a person that loves animals can't be all bad.

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Many times have I gone thru this. It's never easy, just be there at the end so they might drift off with your loving touch reassuring them it's ok to go.

18. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Striper, I avoided this thread when I saw it, as I put down my babe, Reba, a black lab duck dog last year. Duck dudes know this is serious stuff. She was only 8 years old. Cancer. Most big hearted, smartest, retriever I ever had.
    Tell us what was special about your friend.

19. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The thing about Pets in reality, they become family and its a difficult task to have to put them down ... They would not want you as their Master to suffer and you as their Master have an obligation to them though it be a final one to see that they end their life with as little pain and suffering as possible ... They depended on you to provide them with a good life and only you can provide them with a good end to the life they loved because of you ... We all feel your pain and may suffer with you in our hearts but there comes a time when there is but one right thing to do for your beloved pet and that keep them from the pain and suffering they will face because they are losing you also and you have been as much a part of your pets life as they have become a part of yours ... Do the right thing when you feel the time is right and be comforted that you did the right thing when it was time for you and your pet to say Good Bye ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

20. CIM

CIM TS Member

Its a very tough thing to do.My lab that had hunted with me for 13yrs and had hunted from Canada to Miss.had to put her to sleep 2yrs ago.All I could see was her 1st retrieve with me many years ago.There was no dog that could do it better than her.

I waited and let my son get him his 1st lab who he trained himself and has done an outstanding job.She retreived over 850 ducks last year and rekindled my fires to get my on dog again.

This last feb. a buddy of mine had some lab puppies that had the blood,hunting ability so here comes Midnight into my life who biunces off the wall to please me.She is almost 6 months old and is doing it like she was supposed to.Just finished her on force breaking to retreive.This always works better.Couldn't ask for a better young dog!Cant wait till I go to Canada.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.