1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

No dog in this ATA thing but

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Mar 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

From reading the threads on the ATA and all the back and forth bickering i'm getting the impression that the ATA board seems a lot like the Democratic party trying to self destruct. They don't seem to make decisions for the overall benefit of the majority of their membership, but for possibly their own agendas(egos?). It seems that this new shell thing caould be a real problem for a lot of folks that would like to shoot "The Grand" but the added financial burden may cause some difficulties. Let's face it,times are tough and not every passionate shooter has the extra $100 to throw away.($100 Figure from another thread). Seems like the ATA should be looking for ways to make it easier for the average shooters not more difficult. Sort of like selling something, you try to make it easy for your customer to buy if you want them to keep coming back. Making things more difficult will not keep your customer, or in this case, it will not keep your membership roles up.Just my humble opinion. As stated above I have no dog in the fight I left the ATA many moons ago. What is your opinion am I that far off base?? Bulge.

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

The ATA has simply made the cynical decision that the future of the Grand in Sparta is no more than a 2,000 shooter event - and they want to extract as much money out of those 2,000 as possible, that's all.

Since they gave the real estate they owned in Ohio to the Dayton Airport for FREE (a sucker deal negotiated with people who are dead and gone) - they haven't got two nickels to rub together.

So, they need to extract this shell revenue from the shooters.

Pathetic.

3. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Barrel,

There is absolutely no way you could know how little I value your opinion.

jim brown, life member

4. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

The ATA Hall of Fame is a seperate, stand alone corporation from the ATA and has its own income stream and money. When it moves, it will require no money from the ATA. JImmy Borum

5. crusha

crusha TS Member

And I'm sure the ATA could care less about his opinion, too.

6. biff

biff Active Member

Barrel, your opinion is very sound! Biff

7. crusha

crusha TS Member

I agree, Biff.

8. jim brown

Buzz,

I am the ATA and I vote.

jim brown

9. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Jim, probably as little as i value your post. But nonetheless from past posts it seems the organization is losing membership and if it is going to survive, comments like yours should probably be curtailed. I am just wondering how such a formally fine organization seems to be self imploding. Seems like their attitude is like Obama, Pelosi and Reids concerning the Democrats. Sorry if I offended you. I must have hit a nail on the head. Bulge.

10. jim brown

Barrel,

I will repeat this one more time in a slightly different manner in the hope that you will be able to grasp the meaning with your limited abilities.

There is absolutely no way you could possibly know how little your opinion means to me.

jim brown

11. crusha

crusha TS Member

Bulge,

Yep. He cares so little, he's posted 3 times about it.

Sounds like you indeed hit the nail on the head.

12. jim brown

Buzz,

I simply don't suffer fools well.

jim brown

13. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Jim, with your apparent limited abilities. No less than I care about yours. This thread was not directed at you personally so, there is no need to take it personally. Does it make you feel real big to start casting aspersions? Same ostrich syndrone as the ATA leaders seem to have from past posts. There are no problems in the ATA. Bulge.

14. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

There was another poster here called Gargoyle who lets say didn't put things as nicely as you did. He to said that the ata was more interesed in themselves then the memebers. He finally was banned from the site because he didn't hold back any punches. I say good for him to say what others were to scared to say. Could you be Gargoyle?

15. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Auctioneer, I am not Gargoyle. I am just making observations from reading all the different threads on this site regarding the ATA. What your are stating about Gargoyle seems like a case of "kill the messenger". That doesn't stop the facts. Bulge.

16. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

The sad truth is...that trapshooting (as it once was) is just plain dying a natural death. We can bitch about the outrageously stupid idea that the ATA leadership has some agenda that's killing the sport, but that's a case of an angry bitch biting her pups, her owner, and the mailman.

The leadership is helpless to change the course we're on. They can't give free shot and primers, they can't charge $7 for 100 Grand targets. They can't give free gasoline vouchers, and they can't make a small club's 300 target event start at 11:00 on a Sunday and finish by 3 in the afternoon.

Many have simply decided that leaving early Sunday morning, spending a couple hundred bucks, then arriving home that night...just isn't worth it. The majority of small shoots are feeling that, big time.

And it's the small shoots that prepare folks for the big shoots. The 2-holer clubs of the 60's are mostly gone and dads aren't as free to spend so much time shooting. My dad didn't make every single little league game I played in. Today's dads do.

Also, trapshooting is now one of several hobbies we have. 50 years ago, it was often the only hobby dad had (that and a little fishing and hunting).

Hunters are also a dying breed. They used to be the pool from which trapshooters emerged.

Nope, we can gripe about details (damned EC, lousy Illinois, "if only the price of lead would drop", Stupid democrats, high gas prices, unemployment), but we're simply going the way of the 1972 CB Radio Club of America.

Just maybe with a longer downward spiral and a lot more whimpering.

17. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Geees Lit, you make it sound so sad, and it is. It is a way to have a lot of fun on a weekend afternoon. I guess all things run their course, but jumping on someone with a defensive attitude will only speed up the process. Bulge.

18. mono1393

mono1393 Member

Literalist, you literally hit the nail on the head! People on this site are so defensive of their sport when someone tells it like it is. No one wants something or someone they love to die, but that's exactly what is happening to this sport. If you have a lot of disposable income, then you can participate, but people such as myself with young children, and all the activities that they are into right now, I have neither time or money for trapshooting. I spent the last ten years trying to afford trapshooting and almost went bankrupt trying. I can't even afford to go to the local club and practice anymore. I don't have the time or money. My kids are so much more important than this sport. Sorry, but that's just the way it is.

19. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I love it when people start to open their eyes and finally see whats happening ... I have said for years that the ATA/EC and part of the BOD do not care about the membership any longer like the ones did in years gone by ... The separation between the Membership, the EC, and many people on the BOD have been getting a bigger and bigger gap in it for years ... I have been saying this very thing for almost as long as I have been on TS.Com, grammie insinuated much the same in passing thoughts and comments ... I am also a Life Member of the ATA, since 1975 (and NRA) and have personally seen the separation happen over the years ... This did not start with this issue about new shells, its been going on for a long time and just keeps getting worst ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

If you ignore Jim Brown he might just go away, I have been doing that for years also after seeing him in action one time which got him banned from a club here in Arizona ... (Banned as in asked to leave and never come back) ...

20. crusha

crusha TS Member

Literalist is correct on all counts...but:

This money grab is still awful poorly-timed by the ATA.

The whole point of Sparta was supposed to be that the state of Illinois funds the entire tournament mainly from the $3 per event shooter fee, leaving the ATA with relatively little to worry about.

Now the ATA needs/wants an additional, approximately similar amount for themselves, on top of that? Which blows up to $12 additional extended cost to the shooter per event? What is the justification for this? Are the ATA's finances in trouble? Are the fees not cutting it anymore? What's the deal?

NObody made the case for this. They just did it. No preparation, no justification...just fait accompli.

A very clumsy, bad move...and there's just no getting around it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.