1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

No diva, Kim Rhode (ARTICLE)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joe Potosky, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

No diva, Kim Rhode eyes fifth Olympic shooting medal

Kim Rhode, who drives a pickup truck, is on a path that could make her the first U.S. athlete in an individual sport to win a medal in five consecutive Olympics.

By Bill Dwyre - May 3, 2012

Ah, the glamour of being an Olympic medalist.

It is an overcast Wednesday morning in Newhall. The parking lot at the Oak Tree Gun Club is already filling up and the greatest competitive female gunslinger in the history of the good ol' USA is being put through the paces by a photographer.

Our modern-day Annie Oakley stands on a square of dirt, next to a field of gravel and facing a scraggly hill. A sign warns of rattlesnakes in the area, and Kim Rhode laughs and says, "Almost sat on one here."

Rhode is an Olympic hero without pretense. Her sport, as well as her personality, makes it so.

Jim Mitchell, owner of the Oak Tree Gun Club, who created this special training area at his club just for Rhode and at considerable cost, says, "If she were in any other sport, she'd be driving a Porsche."

READ COMPLETE ARTICLE

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-oly-shooting-rhode-20120504,0,1147513.column

Richard Rhode estimates that her training costs — shooting between 600 and 1,000 rounds — run about $500 a day. That is ammunition, targets and travel costs to the three places with equipment proper enough for her to train — Oak Tree, Redlands and Prado Dam. She has been training at this pace for 20 years, he says, and if that is 365 days a year times 20 years, simple math brings this bottom line: $3.65 million.

2. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Interesting and we all wish here the very Best!!

3. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

I read the whole article and it was pretty well written for a Liberal paper like the LA Times, except for two comments by the LA Reporter

1.Reporter writing about going to Africa with her father at age of 10: Richard still carries faded pictures in his wallet of his 10-year-old daughter, posing proudly with one of her kills, a spiral-horned kudu about twice her size.

"I shot four others," Rhode says, quickly rattling off the species of her other victims.

other Victims, not other trophies, typical LA reporting BS.

2. The Photographer: He even squatted directly below her gun as she fired away, assuring him that he was in no danger, as long as he didn't stand up. As the shooting of the shooting went on and on, thoughts of his forgetting the warning had to be pushed aside.

Liberal pantywaste reporters can not miss a chance to demean a great sport or athlete.

I wonder how much the shell and gun folks kick in to keep her going? 500 a day is a big nut.

4. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Nice lady. I had the chance to meet her and saw her oylimpic metals in Pittsburgh. Wish her luck

5. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Well...can we also lighten up on what kind of languaging is non PC for "us"....I think being shot dead makes any living organism a victim! I mean it is not as good as breathing in most cass. In the natural world, all living things live off of other living things..from molds to humans.

Gosh, is this a fairly good cast or what? I do believe it is true, however.

David

6. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Very nice young lady and you can follow her on facebook too. John

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Go for it. Hope she does well.

8. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

What a gal. Go Kim!

9. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

She's a little more "matronly" at age 35 than when I used to watch her shoot
    at Triple B in South El Monte, California 15 years ago. She was a very cute
    girl driving around in her little red Shelby GT Cobra. She could have easily
    become an only-child spoiled stuck up brat.

She was as nice and modest then as she is now. Richard did a good job raising his daughter.

10. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Good luck to a fine Lady. She represents this country well!--Bust e'm all!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

kim rhode olympic shooter