1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

No difference in Remington Huls

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chatbrat, Apr 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

After loading thousands of Remington STS,Nitro, Gun Clubs, Game Clubs, & Sport loads---I think the only real difference in the hulls is the cheaper ones have a steel base & they last longer than the Nitros & the STS's---no diferenece in crimps,sizing, performance, etc---any different opinions---the best feature I'll never have to buy a hull again---there are lots of them on the ground after most local shoots------Phil

2. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

There are differences and this is not an opinion. Will those differences be important to you? No way to say for sure not knowing how, with what and how often you load a hull. I know some of the differences between Remington hulls are important to me.

Have a talk with someone like Kevin Lewis at Downrange Mfg. who spends his days in plastics; his phone number is one his web site. Unless you can test these hulls on equipment designed for the purpose, you'll never know. Kevin says that even the colorant used in hulls can make a difference in how the hull performs.

Morgan

3. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Some of the hulls, especially the black Game Load hulls, are 6-point crimp and some are 8-point crimp hulls.

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I bought and reloaded eight flats of Gun Club shells eight times and although neither my RCBS Grand nor my MEC 9000GN seemed to mind, the resizing dies in some loaders wear prematurely from the steel heads of the cheaper hulls.

My son still uses and reloads one-ounce Gun Clubs for his first shot in doubles so he can differentiate that load from our usual STS hull, which he uses for his second doubles shot.

Ed

5. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Gold STS wear out faster than the green ones.

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

rmy, that is interesting since I, too, suffer from Joe's experience. Not a big deal but it must be differences in loading? I use the goldies for my "big" load (higher pressure) and the greenies for weenies but with the same powder, and primers. Perhaps you and Joe can confirm you do similar or are you just using them interchangeably with a single load? Different powders? One with more pressure than the other? ....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

7. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

By limiting my heavy's to the gold nitro case I can keep my inventory seperated. The Gun Clubs I limit to 1 oz loads & the STS's to my light 1 1/8 oz's. The "KISS" principal works for me & the last "S" stands for "stupid". Incidently, the gold ones don't hold up for near as many loads per case. I never tried the test with the other cases.

Big Jack

8. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I cut a few hulls open recently after 3 reloads and firing. I have found that Titegroup seems to "burn" hulls less than Clays. I use Clays on my green singles load and TG on my gold handicap load. The gold hulls with TG were noticably cleaner.

I have loaded batches up to 10 times, but the crimps were split and I started to get a few hulls that burned out the side. Having said all that, I usually toss a hull after 4-5 reloadings.

I have also loaded Gunclubs for my bunker loads. They perform well and the crimps seem to hold up nicely. I just don't like the extra force I need to apply to the handle of my Spolar when I load them. Once they are gone I won't plan on reloading them any more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.