1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

No Choke Tubes??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by $$$SHTR, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

Looking at the new o/u's for sale, I can't seem to find any without choke tubes. Do any gun makers offer o/u's without choke tubes? I've never been a big fan of choke tubes, but feel I'm living in the past when I look for a gun without them.

I guess I'll have to start looking for an older Remington 3200 as I know they were made without choke tubes. Unfortunately, many of them have been ruined by after market improvements.

If any of you have a Remington 3200 with 30" barrels and no aftermarket improvements with updates please let me know.

Tomas

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

You might also want to look for Browning Superposed. I believe all of the Superposed had fixed chokes. I know my Broadway has fixed factory chokes.

Eric

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

You can get Perazzi's with fixed chokes, and some of the European Browning Citori's.

4. furface

furface Member

I Have two new 3200's, a MC Special Trap with 30" bbls factory choked full & full and a 28" Skeet & Skeet. drop the x's on the e-mail. Joe

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

You know, I used to dislike choke tubes, too. The old salts on the gun club porches said they didn't pattern as well as a fixed choke and I bought into that logic. I used to feel a little sorry for the guy next to me when I saw his trap gun had tubes. Funny thing was that a lot of them smoked their targets as well as or better than me.

Then in 2002, I bought one of the first KX-5s, which never were available with anything but choke tubes. After using it for a while, I decided to try some different brands, lengths and constrictions of chokes in it and that's when it dawned on me why tubes really are better. If I wanted to experiment with different chokes in a fixed-choke gun, the cost to do so would likely far exceed than that of purchasing a tube. And if I didn't like the new choke, I was faced with even more costly machining to get back to where I was, if doing so would even be possible. Screw-in tubes I didn't like could always be resold and tubes can even be borrowed from shooting buddies for testing purposes, so buying isn't always a requirement.

Accordingly, I don't see myself ever buying another fixed-choke shotgun.

Now, cobby choke tube conversions in fixed-choke guns, especially in valuable older pieces, don't appeal to me for obvious reasons. But that's a whole different thing.

Ed

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have done extensive testing on Beretta 303 barrels with full chokes vs mobil choke tubes and I assure you the tubes pattern better by a long shot

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

cc2000, "better by a long shot," you wrote. It makes us wonder "Better in what way?" Specifically? Tighter? Less tight? "More even?"
    You get the idea.

Neil

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

I see no reason why a fixed choked barrel would pattern better than one with tubes. I cannot understand why a barrel with tubes would shoot better than a fixed choke barrel. I can see how frequent removal of a tube could wear the threads and change the POI. I have also seen a couple of guns that would shoot at different POI with different tubes.

If a choke tube is firmly screwed in by hand, and the threads are in good shape, it is only possible to turn the tube about 1/32 of an inch with the wrench. If a tube takes much more force to tighten, or if it shoots loose, the threads are in less than good condition and can cause POI problems.

Pat Ireland

9. edthearcher

edthearcher Member

pat I would also like to add one other thing. I purchased a gun that had 12 yes 12 flush chokes, the poi seem to be diffrent on every one of them ( i wont mention the braand name ) I bought a quality extended not only was my point of impact dead center I had no holes in my pattern. so not all chokes are alike just my 2 cents

10. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

furface,

Joe, I sent you an e-mail.

Tomas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning cito fixed choke tubes