1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

No bids for Remington 31 TC at $699-What's wrong?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Nov 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

No bids for Remington 31 TC at $699-What

Did not get a single bid on Gunbroker for what I thought was a nice Remington 31 TC, even after I lowered the minimum bid to $699.

Any thought on what I did wrong or is this gun not worth $699.

(please note, this is not a backhanded way of making a sale on the shooting category)

Lou

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=144898863

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Beautiful gun, but basically you have to have the right kind of collector looking for one. Someone show specifically collects Remington pumps. And the economic woes right now have probably pared that niche down.

As for value, I have no clue that a 31TC is worth.

3. Bushmaster1313

I refinished the wood.
    This is a beautiful shooter but not a collector gun.

Guess it's a good time to buy or trade but not to sell.

4. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

I think you have it correct ---- money is tight for a lot of people and, even if someone is doing fairly well, the economy is bad enough that it is making a lot of people nervous about spending.

There have been more Model 12's and Browning Superposeds, etc being sold at stores and listed on-line then I have seen in years and the prices are lower than they were a couple of years ago. There are a bunch of them in the back of safes that aren't really being shot much and so they are being converted into cash.

5. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I have found that GB does not bring good dollars on the more odd shotguns. It is a very nice item but not a good GB fit.

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Get it to a shoot with a bunch of kids just starting out. Price is slightly high but not bad. A good place to start, anyway.

Get to talking about the legend of the 31 and the legendary barrels they have. The strength of the design and the longevity.

7. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Agree with Barry, price is a little high, particularly since the wood is refinished. I've seen a lot better wood as far as figure goes. I'm assuming the blue is original. If not, then price is more than a little high.

8. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

are parts still available for these if they would happen to break or do they have to made by a toolmaker?

9. Bushmaster1313

Parts from old guns are available online.

I have an extra firing pin and spring just in case.

You need to check the "series" this gun is a "1941" series.

First was the "1931" series and there is one other

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have seen some with very nice wood- I have never seen one this plain

regardless

these guns sell in the $350 price range

regards from Iowa

Gene

11. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

buschmaster1313:
    you have a beautiful 31. a few problems here. one, newer shooters have no idea about this gun. two, parts are another problem. i am a remington 870 collector, over the years i have owned a 31b grade trap gun, and a 31tc. these are great guns, weak point is the action bar, they will break. recently at a gun show in my area, a 31tc was going for $800.00. the guy lowered the price eventually to $350.00 and a guy finally purchased it. is your guy worth the amount your asking, yes. but in my area of the country most people with grey hair over 50 are without jobs. i would burn this gun before i sold it to someone for $350.00. if you don't need the money, keep it in the closet until the market gets better, you don't have to feed the gun, just keep it. when sellers get the hint you need to get rid of a gun, it brings out the sick the lame and the lazy. they will low ball you, tell you the gun is no good, and once they get their hands on it, they will be putting a high price tag on it.
    steve balistreri

12. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

Lou- As with everything else in this economy, used guns are not selling for any kind of money right now. I had a table at a gun show last month and had my Citori (XT trap w/ adjustable comb and Graco adjustable pad in browning hard case) on the table for $1895 and didn't even get a bite on it. I did sell a couple guns but not for the prices that I could have got a couple years ago. If you really want to sell it the price has to come down. If you are set on getting that price you may have it a while.

Joe

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

In contrast to current production guns, what you have is a very nice solid pump action shotgun. So the $700 asking price is reasonable considering the quality but you have to find the buyer. Mainstream pump action shotgun buyers seem to be happy paying a bit less money for guns with stamped out parts and synthetic crap stocks .. its the walmart syndrome. If it were mine, it would stay in the safe for the rest of my days.

14. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Nothing is really wrong with the 31 you are posting...just need to find the right buyer...that is the problem - there aren't many model 31 shoppers out there for the reasons others have noted in their comments here. I was (in my younger days) what you would call a "live one" when it came to Remington model 31s...looked for and bought several. I really like the vintage of these shotguns and the "old timey" feeling (mystique) they provide. They are exceptionally well made but few people want to spend money for them. Oh, yes, economic times are tough, but GunBroker buyers are not known for paying "reasonable" prices...they like to "low ball" just about everything. Just be patient and hang in there...consider: this gun doesn't eat much. Best Regards, Ed

15. Bushmaster1313

Auction is over.

Gene, if you or anyone else have one like this for $350 (no rust, dents or cracks and in perfect working order, and uncut original wood) I will buy it sight unseen.

Lou

16. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

NOTHING WRONG WITH PRICE...IT'S A GREAT GUN.I HAVE ONE THAT I FOUND IN THA ATTIC OF THE HOUSE I OWN NOW...I ONLY WISH IT LOOKED AND WAS AS NICE AS YOURS.

THE PROBLEM IS IT'S CLOSE TO X-MASS NOW ANS WITH THE ECONOMY THE WAY IT IS.
    GUNBROKERS ALOT OF THOSE PEOPLE JUST BROSE....HOLD ON IT WILL SELL.

HAVE A GREAT DAY.

JEFF

17. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Your gun is worth more than $350. I and probably many others on here would pay significantly more than that for it. As usual, when it's somebody elses gun for sale, Gene777777777777 will low ball it. If it's his gun, barrel, stock or whatever for sale it'll be overpriced.

18. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Guys- another person on here saw one sell for 350

No need to get nasty

Those of you that dont like reality- go ahead and pay 699 for it-- thats what the man wanted- but he also wanted to know why it wasnt selling

So put your money where your mouth it- purchase it for 699

BTW- I understand that at times on Gunbroker- people bid the price up for their friends apparently- so who knows if a gun has really sold or not?

remember people do think about resale when they buy a used gun- some new gun buyers just want a new gun and are willing to pay anything to have one.

regards from Iowa

Gene

19. Bushmaster1313

Gene:

Not being nasty--

But I would like one of those $350 guns please!

Lou

20. Bushmaster1313

I've decided not to try to sell in today's market.

I will, however, consider trades for a break open trap gun or a Winchester Model 1987 or Remington 31R riot gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remington model 31 tc gunbroker