1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? NJ Reloaders ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Spanky, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I'm a S.E. Penna. shooter who has used Shyda's and Richland for my supplies for years. And still will use them. Was just there. My thread is not about dissing them by any means. These guys generally have a stock that is unreal. Like many or all of us I'm just a victim of circumstance when it comes to certain components.

Do you guys have a dealer(s) over there that are of the same size as these guys that I can possibly seek out availability of a certain powder and primers? I'm pretty much a creature of habit and not really all that receptive to changing up the way I reload or buying alternate components on impulse.

I'm more than likely after what everyone else is after, Clays, Universal Clays or Clay Dot. Thanks for your help, I'm up for a road trip and do some shooting while over there.

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Spanky, the guys from NJ are having the same issues-none of anything. If Brian Shyda can't get it neither can they!!

3. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

It will be o.k., I realize some of the more popular items are scarce. I've got myself covered by switching to American Select for now, maybe forever. Seems to be working great. I'm just looking to find out where my other sources could possibly be. Never know ya possibly could get lucky and score on an 8 pounder or a couple 4 pounders. I'm not gonna roll over and cry about things, sometimes you have to dig in and make things happen for yourself. Find and figure my options. I'm loyal to Shydas and Richland.

4. Joe Si

Joe Si Member

Spanky, You may want to call Gene Salomon at 732-938-2189. He sells components.

He's having a registered shoot this Sunday. Doubles and practice from 9-10, singles at 10 followed by handicap.

His store opens at 12 or 1PM on Sundays, so you register some targets and buy your components.

Good luck,

Joe

5. Zoom.Golly

Zoom.Golly Well-Known Member

Spanky - Shortages of Clays and Universal I understand. But shortages of Clay Dot?

On my last purchase last winter a semi-local supplier (good prices!!!) had Clay Dot, but no Promo. I have used about a keg a year of Promo since it came out (12-15 kegs). For the price I'm satisfied with Promo.

I was surprised there was no Promo as I thought that was the one powder generally available. But he had ClayDot, so I bought it. I like it. I like enough that when it's time to restock if Promo and ClayDot are both available I'll have a hard choice. I may stay with ClayDot so I'm sorry to hear it may be hard to find.

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Spanky,

Not sure where you are located, but in Bristol there is a small shop "Get Loaded Shooting Supplies" - he concentrates on gun shows in the area (I think he will be at Allentown this weekend).

267-812-5898

He tries really hard to get things for customers, and in that he is local it saves the drive to Richland or Shyda's - figure gas and tolls and his prices become very competitive.

Might be worth a call.

7. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

Sam.Browne. No clays means everyone has moved over to Clay dot. This is why Clay Dot dried up instantly after all the Clays disappeared. About 4 months ago I restocked and got lucky with 15k w209 primers and 5 kegs of clays. A week later everything was gone. A couple months ago I was on a trip right next to Shyda's and stopped on. No clays, No Clay Dot, and no W209's, so I figured I would try a keg of Promo and a box of Cheddites. Just think of all the other shooters who have went from Clays, to Claydot, to some other powder in just a couple months. Sure enough I showed up Thursday at the Cardinal Class and there was no powder left. The only good news is the Hodgdon rep at Cardinal said there will be plenty of Clays in January-ish. I would imagine there will be a couple months of hoarding, and then maybe things will get back to normal in the spring. Until then I will buy a keg whenever I see it because I will shoot it, which obviously will only add to the shortage.

8. Iceman47

Iceman47 Member

Since the Feds have cornered the market on supplies by placing ridiculous orders for ammunition, I have felt the pinch as well. I was a loyal fan of Hodgdon and I guess I still am. However, since the fire Hodgdon had at their manufacturing facility, they haven't made any powder and existing stocks have dried up, mainly due to guys stockpiling. That being said, the shortage has forced me to use other alternatives. I never really got into Alliant powder but I have found that Clay Dot and Red Dot and their 20/28 is a more than acceptable alternative with most recipes being the same or very close to Hodgdon. Also if you look around the internet you will find what you are looking for at "before shortage" prices, of course the Haz Mat charge and shipping will eat you up but it's better than doing without. That's my two cents worth. Have a great day.
    Iceman

9. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Guys the input is greatly appreciated. You have given me a couple of new options that I didn't know existed. It's a hike to go to Lebanon but don't mind going. It was my bad for not calling first and just assuming on the Clay Dot being there. My last jug of it they limited you to one at purchase. Couldn't tell you the last time I seen an 8 pounder of Clays so I switched to Clay Dot. Should have brought the wife along to get the extra that day but, I would rather shoot myself repeatedly with a nail gun on the way out than have there while component shopping. The lack of Clays is causing the shortage of Clay Dot. I'm not hurting for reloading components by any means. I'm not hording by any means also. Have no desire to run around for stuff in the winter and this is the time of year I bulk up a bit on my stuff. I might stick with American Select it is very clean and meters well. A lot of load options also. I also use Green Dot, I could make thing real simple and use just the Green Dot for everything. But, why do that and take the fun of it away and not be in the middle like most of us looking for something that is hard to get. I guess I have too much fun reloading.