1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NJ Gun Law Tyranny

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

New Jersey practices tyranny in its regulation/prohibition of firearms.

Under the New Jersey statutory regieme, all handguns and all loaded rifles and shotguns are illegal. Illegal with certain exceptions. The relevant statute from N.J.S. 2C:39-5 follows:

"New Jersey Statutes - Title 2C The New Jersey Code Of Criminal Justice - 2C:39 5 Unlawful possession of weapons.

2C:39-5. Unlawful possession of weapons. a. Machine guns. Any person who knowingly has in his possession a machine gun or any instrument or device adaptable for use as a machine gun, without being licensed to do so as provided in N.J.S.2C:58-5, is guilty of a crime of the second degree.

b. Handguns. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any handgun, including any antique handgun, without first having obtained a permit to carry the same as provided in N.J.S.2C:58-4, is guilty of a crime of the third degree if the handgun is in the nature of an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas or vapor, air or compressed air, or is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch in diameter, with sufficient force to injure a person. Otherwise it is a crime of the second degree.

c. Rifles and shotguns. (1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

(2) Unless otherwise permitted by law, any person who knowingly has in his possession any loaded rifle or shotgun is guilty of a crime of the third degree."

Notice that (b) reads: "Any person who knowingly has in his possession any handgun, including any antique handgun, without first having obtained a permit to carry" and (c)(2) reads: "Unless otherwise permitted by law, any person who knowingly has in his possession any loaded rifle or shotgun is guilty of a crime..."

Thus, in New Jersey, handguns and loaded long guns are illegal unless you meet certain exceptions graciously granted by our Dear Leaders.

This is the essence of tyranny. You prohibit a right of the People and throw crumbs to oppressed.

Note, it is impossible as a matter of fact for a private citizen to get a permit to carry a handgun in New Jersey.

All you get to do is keep it in your residence and carry it to and from the range unloaded in a locked trunk. You are allowed to have it at your "place of business" but that is interpreted by the courts to mean a business 100% owned by you.

Let's get back to the ideal of limited government. The People have God-given and inalienable rights, and government can only put certain limited restrictions on those rights if the People have willingly granted the government the power to do so.

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Bushmaster1313, Many years ago I worked with a Romanian, and in his country his liberties were very restricted. He finally got tired one day and swam across the Danube to freedom. The Delaware river is not that wide.

3. Bushmaster1313

Toolmaker:

Your Romanian did the right thing.

But when victory is possible, only Democrats cut and run.

4. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Bushmaster....those laws were on the books for a long time. I remember them being on the books, especially with the handgun permit and firearm ID card, from way back in the '80s....and there were Republicans in control of the governor's seat.

5. TOOLMAKER 251

Bushmaster1313, You guys in Jersey have many sportsmen's clubs, also plenty of hunters. You have to unite with your families and friends to get some common sense legislation passed. You have to convince these anti gunners that your neighbors across the Delaware that since 1987 when the right to carry was adopted in Pa. violent crime dropped. The only problem we have is Phila. and Pittsburgh, but that's ethnic related.

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Bushmaster1313

"Thus, in New Jersey, handguns and loaded long guns are illegal unless you meet certain exceptions graciously granted by our Dear Leaders."

Can you possibly tell me what state doesn't have restrictions on carry and ownership of guns? Any guns????

Bob Lawless

7. Bushmaster1313

Vermont does not require a carry permit

I believe Texas allows open carry

Florida let's you carry in your glove compartment.

The issue is not are there restrictions, the issue is that instead of assuming legality and prohibiting illegality NJ assumes illegality and grants exceptions. This is unAmerican when it comes to fundamental rights. For example, You could never say "All speech is illegal except under the following conditions"

Reasonable regulation would presume legality and recite a list of don'ts. Tyranny says "you may not except".

Reasonable don'ts would include

Carrying loaded in public while intoxicated

Discharging in an unsafe place or manner

Possession while committing a crime of violence or theft

Brandishing

Putting a plastic stock on a Model 12.

Purchasing any shooting related item made in China

8. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

The Peoples Republic of New Jersey has been doing this way farther back than the 80's. I had to get a permit from the local police department in 1966 to tI ransport my target rifle to the range as a Junior. If the police cheif didn't already have your name for causing trouble, it came pretty easy. I left there the next year, was given a gun and most of the ammo I wanted and told go to work, I enjoyed that type of freedom so never returned to PRNJ except for short visits. I can sure see it has gotten worse, glad I live in Montana.

9. Bushmaster1313

Forcebreak:

I feel sorry for you.

Montana is a "shall Issue" state. Crime must be horrible there compared to New Jersey.

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

If handgun restrictions are so restrictive that folks can't buy a legal firearm, then I guess its up to the New Jersey NRA folks to sue like those here in Illinois...

Although if MacDonald falls like we expect, you folks in Jersey may get your handguns back...

Jay

11. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

Thats what we need to do is focus on November and take care of business where it counts because Pelosi, Mcarthy,Fienstine,clinton want you're guns period.

12. Bushmaster1313

It is possible to buy a legal firearm here, but very very cumbersome.

Once you have your card long guns are a snap.

Hanguns take a long time to get approval to purchase and forever (literally) to get a carry permit.

Unlike NYC, however, we are allowed Model 12's and 12 round magazines.

In practice we are not allowed NFA's or AOW's.

13. ivanhoe

Bushmaster1313 Vermont and Texas well I am not so sure you are totally correct. Florida's gun laws are a little more complicated than you make them out to be.

So you have found three states of Obama's 57. Let me ask this NJ has had the laws you speak of on the books for how long??? You complaining now why? I ask because I am trying to understand the need for the complaint.

You quote the law that mentions being licensed for a machine gun. Or a permit to carry for a handgun. A long gun requires firearms purchaser identification card.

I don't know of any state that allows residents to own a machine gun with out some form of licensing. Handgun pretty much the same as a matter of fact the supreme court has said it is against the second amendment to make it illegal to out law ownership of firearms. Yet New York city and Washington DC still prohibit this practice so why are you so incensed by NJ longstanding stance on gun restrictions????

Bob Lawless

14. TOOLMAKER 251

Bushmaster1313, Many years ago I worked with a Romanian, and in his country his liberties were very restricted. He finally got tired one day and swam across the Danube to freedom. The Delaware river is not that wide.

15. Bushmaster1313

Toolmaker:

Your Romanian did the right thing.

But when victory is possible, only Democrats cut and run.

16. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Bushmaster....those laws were on the books for a long time. I remember them being on the books, especially with the handgun permit and firearm ID card, from way back in the '80s....and there were Republicans in control of the governor's seat.

17. TOOLMAKER 251

Bushmaster1313, You guys in Jersey have many sportsmen's clubs, also plenty of hunters. You have to unite with your families and friends to get some common sense legislation passed. You have to convince these anti gunners that your neighbors across the Delaware that since 1987 when the right to carry was adopted in Pa. violent crime dropped. The only problem we have is Phila. and Pittsburgh, but that's ethnic related.

18. ivanhoe

Bushmaster1313

"Thus, in New Jersey, handguns and loaded long guns are illegal unless you meet certain exceptions graciously granted by our Dear Leaders."

Can you possibly tell me what state doesn't have restrictions on carry and ownership of guns? Any guns????

Bob Lawless

19. Bushmaster1313

Vermont does not require a carry permit

I believe Texas allows open carry

Florida let's you carry in your glove compartment.

The issue is not are there restrictions, the issue is that instead of assuming legality and prohibiting illegality NJ assumes illegality and grants exceptions. This is unAmerican when it comes to fundamental rights. For example, You could never say "All speech is illegal except under the following conditions"

Reasonable regulation would presume legality and recite a list of don'ts. Tyranny says "you may not except".

Reasonable don'ts would include

Carrying loaded in public while intoxicated

Discharging in an unsafe place or manner

Possession while committing a crime of violence or theft

Brandishing

Putting a plastic stock on a Model 12.

Purchasing any shooting related item made in China

20. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

The Peoples Republic of New Jersey has been doing this way farther back than the 80's. I had to get a permit from the local police department in 1966 to tI ransport my target rifle to the range as a Junior. If the police cheif didn't already have your name for causing trouble, it came pretty easy. I left there the next year, was given a gun and most of the ammo I wanted and told go to work, I enjoyed that type of freedom so never returned to PRNJ except for short visits. I can sure see it has gotten worse, glad I live in Montana.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.