1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NJ Gas Station Question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Auctioneer, Jul 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

A friend came back from NJ and told me that you couldn't pump your own gas up there. Someone who works there must do it for you. To those trapshooters in NJ what are the rules there?

2. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I use to live in northern NJ for over 20 years...I too would like to know why that state have to have attendants pump the gas for drivers LOL Googling this info turned up no firm answer....Oregon is the only other state that forbids self-serve (from what I have dug up via Google)

http://www.stateline.org/live/details/story?contentId=110510

3. Dougbbbb

Dougbbbb TS Supporters TS Supporters

MARLTON, N.J. -- To figure out New Jersey, head to the highway.

It's how state residents commute to New York City and Philadelphia. It's how Jerseyites go to the shore. For better or worse, it’s part of the state’s identity. The Garden State has no hometowns, goes the lame old joke -- only highway exit numbers.

So when gas prices recently started climbing, Gov. Jon Corzine (D) suggested the state test self-service pumps to lower the cost of traveling.

The result was a near revolt.

In the days following Corzine's suggestion, his office was flooded with 1,400 e-mails and phone calls -- the biggest and fastest response to an issue the governor has received since taking office in January. Nearly all were in opposition.

Sensing a political disaster, Corzine backed off less than a week after he floated the idea of testing self-service along the New Jersey Turnpike. New Jersey, together with Oregon, will remain the last two full-service states in the country.

"I'm not against a lot of things, but I don't want to pump my own gas. It's part of the Jersey identity. It's our thing," said Rose Maurice, who operates a tourism office at a turnpike rest stop.

To the rest of the country, New Jersey's opposition to self-service may seem outdated. But those who prefer having someone else pump gas say it makes common sense.

"Oil is different than any other business," said Bill Dressler, who heads the New Jersey Gasoline Retailers Association & Allied Trades. The group represents 2,200 of the 3,800 gas stations in the state, and its influence in Trenton is often cited as the reason lawmakers have resisted self-service since the state banned the practice in 1949.

While the governor's office estimates switching to self-service could save drivers six cents a gallon, Dessler said oil companies would lay off gas station attendants and pocket the difference.

Then there's the issue of safety. About 8.7 million residents live in the state and many of them, including more than one million senior citizens, have little experience in pumping gas. Assemblyman Francis L. Bodine (R) said this is one reason he's opposed to the idea. Plus, "If I'm dressed up, I don’t want to get out and smell like a gas pump," said Bodine, who represents the Mount Laurel area near Philadelphia.

Eight hours of training is required of gas station attendants, Dressler said. Among their responsibilities are knowing which type of containers cannot store gasoline, such as glass. "It's a dangerous product and they are trained in the correct procedures," he said.

At a Lukoil station in Marlton, Tony Singh moves from car to car taking credit cards and filling up tanks. Singh has worked as a gas station attendant for more than five years, and he said Corzine's proposal sent chills through the industry.

"So many gas station workers are scared. In a store with four guys, three of them would lose their jobs" if the self-service proposal passed, he said. Under Corzine's plan, eight of the 12 rest areas along the turnpike would have been fitted with credit-card readers, Kris Kolluri, the state's transportation commissioner, told The New York Times.

The self-service idea was part of a larger transportation package that Corzine introduced on April 27. Some other ideas, which were far less controversial, included creating a director of energy savings and providing incentives for fuel-efficient cars.

Unlike many neighbors, New Jersey has not seen the worst of the recent spike in gasoline prices. On Friday afternoon, the average price of regular gas in New Jersey was $2.88. The average was $3.11 in New York, $3 in Connecticut and $2.96 in Pennsylvania, according to the American Automobile Association (AAA).

Dressler -- and other foes of self-service, including AAA -- argue the price of gasoline is kept low because of the presence of gas station attendants. Paying these workers cuts into the profits of big oil companies, who then avoid the state, allowing smaller companies such as Lukoil to remain competitive and keep prices down, they say.

That theory is not universal.

Jim Benton, executive director if the New Jersey Petroleum Council, said the self-service ban is depriving New Jersey residents of lower gas prices. The price isn't tied to competition, he said. It relates to the low state tax on motor oil, which is the third lowest in the nation at 14.5 cents on the gallon, Benton said.

"New Jersey residents think they are getting a bargain for full service, but the bargain is the low motor fuel tax. A dedicated attendant, with no other job than to pump gasoline, can be redirected to being a mechanic or working at a convenience store," Benton said.

4. Dougbbbb

Dougbbbb TS Supporters TS Supporters

BTW.. NJ Has over 250k cars that can run on Ethanol but there are only 2 gas stations in the state that have Ethanol.. One is on an Army base..

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    From Wikipedia: <i>"All stations in New Jersey and Oregon offer only full service and mini service; attendants are required to pump gas because customers are barred by statutes in both states from pumping their own gas. New Jersey banned self-service gasoline in 1949 after lobbying by service station owners. Proponents of the ban cite safety and jobs as reasons to keep the ban.[10] Likewise, the Oregon statute banning self-service gasoline lists seventeen different justifications, including the flammability of gas, the risk of crime from customers leaving their car, the toxic fumes emitted by gasoline, and the jobs created by requiring mini service.[11] In addition, the ban on self-service gasoline is seen as part of Oregonian culture. One commentator noted, “The joke is when babies are born in Oregon, the doctor slaps their bottom, ‘No self-serve and no sales tax’ [. . .] It’s as much a cultural issue as an economic issue. It’s a way of life.”[12] In 1982, Oregon voters rejected a ballot measure sponsored by the service station owners, which would have legalized self-service gas.[13]"</i>

The biggest reason for the Oregon ban was a series of rather spectacular gas station fires and some deaths caused by idiots.

There are exceptions in Oregon. Diesel fuel can be self-serve, because it is less flammable. And commercial card-lock stations are self-serve, mainly because many are unattended.

6. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

I've been there.............just wierd!!!!

7. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I`m glad it`s the way it is . Been to too many states and see the elderly have to get out and pump their own in all types of weather ?? Pulling up to pumps and blocking others in until they go in to pay or buy from the convenient store . See no difference in price of having someone do it for you and may be cheaper here in NJ also . Wherever it is it`s mostly Indian owned so most of them would be out of work -- not that I care , but it is a fact . More states should be doing this .

8. ABH

ABH Member

Ljutic111 is on the mark. Here in NJ, they pump it for you. When it's snowing,100 degree heat or raining, I stay in my controlled environment car. I kind of like that, and it's cheaper than most other states. Go figure. The point about the elderly is a good one too. Filled up yesterday, $2.48 per gallon.

ART H.

9. acre44

acre44 Member

The only other dumb thing is that many NJ stations are one way. Very dumb.

10. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Yes they are and all going the RIGHT WAY !!!! In and out ! That was a Dumb statement but then again you must be from another state .

11. JTEA

JTEA Member

It's the same thing as the beer retailers lobby in PA. They have such a stranglehold and jump at any politician trying to change things. For those unfamiliar, in PA you may buy beer by the case at distributors but usually have to go to a bar to buy a six pack. And pay twice as much. They finally are starting to allow some large grocery stores to sell beer, perhaps it will improve.

PA and DE still have stations with self-serve plus full service pumps which attendants pump.

JT

12. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

You can pump your own gas in Oregon if you are on a motorcycle. The attendant has to hand you the hose and turn the pump on. If it's a safety issue, they need to take a closer look at some of those attendants. I wouldn't trust some of them with a squirt gun.

13. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Think of all the wasted time while you wait to pull up to a pump when there are lines and for an attendent to get to you when there are more cars than attendents. Thankfully I don't live in one of those arcane states.

Eric

14. Auctioneer

SAFETY ISSUE??????? How so? Here in south there is no porblem pumping gas for our cars and we don't burn down the station so how unsafe is it?

15. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

think of the cold and windy winter days and the hot rainy windy summer days when you would like to remain inside the car and of course the days when you are dressed up and really don't want to smell like gasoline. Then think of the fact that I paid 2.429 per gallon just today. enjoy pumping it yourself and keep telling yourself that the gas smell will go away soon

16. ABH

ABH Member

Good one Gary. They just don't get it.

ART H.

17. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Wednesday was cheap gas day here in Jamesburg NJ and while I waited in my air conditioned car and truck to get them filled in 98* temps outside I kept thinking if I wanted to be out there pumping my own for more money than the $2.41 and since they took over 50 Gallons between them , I thought NOT . I`m only 2 blocks from the station and wait for Wednesdays unless I see it cheaper somewhere else which I do at times . I saw it at $2.39 at Raceway but not all of them are that cheap .

18. acre44

acre44 Member

ljutic11 is some kind of commodian! LMAO The right way "in and out" only some kind of dummy from NJ comes up with that one. I will pump my own gas here in NY and not have to wait in line with 10 people just so some guy that can't speak English can pump my gas. I can pull into the gas station here any damn well way I please and I can get in and out quicker.

LUGGIE11.

19. Auctioneer

Lets see, you pull in a full service gas station. You have to cut off your car so not to start a fire. Now your A/C is off on a hot day. You have to wait till the att comes out. He doesn't speak english but he just starts pumping. Did he put the right amount you asked for? Did he say he put in $20.00 like you wanted or just $18.00 and took your $20.00. DO YOU REALLY LOOK AT THE GAS PUMP FOR THE AMOUNT? Short sticking your oil stick is a big thing. In other words he put the oil stick in just far enough to say your a quart low but really are not. He looks like he is putting in oil but is just acting. These things have happened in full service gas stations. And here you are behind this car WAITING to get gas. Besides, I know how to put gas in my own car and I don't smell like gas when I'm finished.

20. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Hey some of youall should be careful. I worked at a full service Shell station back in the 70s.

I spoke English, checked all fluids-belts-tires, cleaned windshields, ferried cash change and credit card receipts back and forth, and never ripped anyone off. It was cool, kind of like being on a low-budget NASCAR pit crew.

The best part of my job was eye-balling the ladies thighs and any other part I could get a peek at through the windshield as they sat there in their mini skirts.

Guy B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.