1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

NJ FFL faces long delays with NICS check......

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by chino, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chino

chino Member

My FFL told me today that it will take between 10 days to 2 weeks for the NICS check.My shotgun arrives today but have to wait 10 days or more to get it home! ny of your FFL in NJ faces the same problem? This is frustrating and bs.

2. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Transfer after 3 working day not including the day BGC is called in is at the discretion of the FFL holder. They do NOT have to transfer gun until they get a proceed. It is up the them

3. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I waited about 30 minutes for the background check to be approved on a Sunday afternoon. This was 3 weeks ago in the liberal camp of NY. Larry

4. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

No delay here today. Was in and out today in just a few minutes when picking up a shotgun I had delivered to a local gun shop. Picked up a revolver there a week ago and same thing.

Jim R
    Washington State

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

XP 100 is correct.

"If the FFL has not received a final determination from the NICS after three business days have elapsed since the delay response, it is within the FFL’s discretion whether or not to transfer the firearm (if state law permits the transfer). If the FFL transfers the firearm, the FFL must check “no resolution was provided within three business days” on line 21d of the ATF Form 4473."

6. Stl Flyn

Jim R,

Didn't you have to wait 5 business days after confirmation of a "proceed" to pick up your revolver?

7. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

The problem in NJ is that the NICS check goes through the NJ State Police. There is a $15 charge to the FFL for each request. Currently all requests must be faxed. They will not take phone calls. A minimum of 3 day turnaround. Sucks!!

8. jm9x23

jm9x23 Member

Transfer your long guns thru a Pa. Dealer. You'll be in and out in less than 30 minutes. NJ state police do what they want. They are above the law. Purchase permits and ID cards have taken up to 15 months when the law required them to be issued in 30 days. Then, all of a sudden the 30 day law disappeared and they blame it on the feds now. The problem is that they think this is work for a secretary, which they don't have, so everything sits around on someones desk till they get around to it.

9. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

Stl Flyn

No wait in Washington State if you have a carry permit. You can go into any gun shop pick out any firearm, do the paper work and take it home that day.

Jim R

10. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

last one was 12 days.....nj nics stopped taking calls and faxes are taking close to two weeks to clear.

11. Stl Flyn

Ah, I was wondering if that would be an alternative to the wait. I seen that you would need either police, or sheriff signed approval otherwise. I imagine the permit does that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how long do you have to wait for nics in nj

how long does a nics background check take in nj